1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe I'm in the Minority...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SC Gamecock, Mar 15, 2022.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well Daniels moves the needle for sure. We upgraded our C position (even if its not a superstar) and immensely upgraded our G position. Locked in our starting RT and will have Moore and Dotson back as the other starters. It sure looks a lot better than last season. Still have Leglue, Haeg and Hassenauer as back ups and all seemed to be fine in that capacity last season (particularly Leglue). I'm sure we will draft at least one OL prospect, we just dont have to make it at any one position. We're flexible now.

Would love to see us grab another CB or a LB. We still have our starting SS to ink to a new deal. Would love to bring in a quality vet WR (how much do we think Landry will cost?). Otherwise, its shaping up to be a very defensive draft for us this year, and as it should be. We have had 9 picks in the top 4 rounds of the last 2 drafts and have taken 7 offensive players. Time to show the defense some love.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Can’t be any worse than the cannon fodder we have at qb now.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This was before the Daniels move was made. He will be the stud of the group.

I don't think hassenaer is signed. :cool:

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I doubt Trubisky will be even top 15 and never mind top 10. Najee Harris, Pat Freiermuth and Diontae Johnson will have to perform a majority of the heavy lifting. Chase and others as well no less.

That said, I do believe that Mitchell will be in better standing with the Steelers than with the Bears; provided Canada has improved himself of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Cowherd had an interesting take. Mitchell has better or equal overall stats thecfirsrc4 years of the careers of Ryan Tannehill, Baker, Andy Dalton, and Derrick Carr. Some other comparable stats to others pertaining to p/o etc.

Not saying he is the second coming, but the Bears were a mess when he played for them. At this price it's definitely worth the risk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm surprised Cowherd spent that much time and research on Trubisky. His show is usually 80% Brady and Rodgers. Now the Broncos are supposedly the new Rams and Super Bowl bound.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And the 5 yard out pattern on 3rd and 7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree. He’ll never get over the stigma of failing to meet the expectations of a #2 overall pick, but he’s a guy who has tools to succeed in the right system. He was drafted to high, and too much was expected too soon. I expect solid play. Probably not top 10 QB play, but I expect 2022 Trubisky to be an upgrade over 2021 Ben.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Biggest question of them all, is Canada the right OC.

No excuses this season, he has all the moving parts and green light to run his system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This:this!:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Landry would be a great addition, but I think there is going to be more interest in him than there will be in Smith-Schuster. That could lead to the latter returning to Pittsburgh instead.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    assuming Trubisky is the starter our offense will look significantly different in 2022. We have a qb that can actually move(hello bootleg). A qb that will take snaps from under center. Hallelujah we might actually have a play action passing game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You guys know Trubisky completion of Air yards are even lower than Ben's last year. So I don't see all this airing it out like everyone complained about for the last two years.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As I have been saying.

Among all the Steelers Staff and Players, Matt Canada has the hottest seat heading into 2022.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Dude he attempted all of 8 passes last year. We know you love ben. We all do, but he’s gone. It’s time to move on.

17. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I would be really surprised if Trubisky is not the starter. This ESPN article says that Trubisky was more effective with presnap motion. This should give Canada his best chance to have success using his system.
    https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburg...terback-flexibility-valuable-insurance-policy

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude this has nothing 2 do with Ben. LoL Geez!
    I'm saying it was Ben's worst year. Get over that. Ben is gone.
    Now....if You actually listen 2 what Im trying 2 say is that Trubisky average competition air yards are worse than Ben's last Year. So ....If You ....I, and all other Steelers fans wanted 2 see more air yards ....Well I don't see where they are going 2 come from.
    What I'm getting at is maybe We should have stuck with Mason, or Haskins.

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like the signing and feel as though he’s a risk worth taking. There’s way more upside here than downside. Trubisky is a great athlete and seems very comfortable and instinctual running the ball. A lot of quarterbacks will run when they need to but seem somewhat lost when they get into the open field. Trubisky doesn’t seem lost. Quite the contrary, he seems to know how to navigate the open field pretty effortlessly. I’m not as impressed with him as a passer, but his arm talent is decent, certainly above average. A 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio is competent if not spectacular. He’s won more playoff games than DeSean Watson and Ben over the last half decade. I think we may have found a competent stop gap at QB and if the stars line up, may have our guy for the next few years. Only time will truly tell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Everything they are doing is laying the table for a run heavy offence. Drafting Najee in 2021, all these OLine improvements, signing a mobile QB over the two pocket passers they had on the roster etc. I don’t think anybody I’d expecting huge air yards from a Trubisky led Steelers offence.

If it’s going to be successful (by no means a given) it will be because of what they do on the ground, not in the air. Trubisky will just have to run the offence and limit the mistakes. He is not a great passer but he is enough of a running threat that teams will have to account for him, and it should open up play action and help get guys open. We will see

• Like Like x 1
  21. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022

He's missed some passes by 5 full yards. He has moments, but he isn't showing the ability to be an above average QB. Maybe he has grown and refined his footwork, arm angle, release or some other technical aspect and maybe he'll be more consistent, but I will approach with a big flashing caution light for the upcoming season. That said, like most here, I don't think much of Mason Rudolph as an NFL QB, so I will be cautiously optimistic with Trubisky. The gorilla in the room is will Matt Canada suddenly be an above average OC or was last year more on him than we thought? We know the OL was wretched, but maybe so was Canada. I'll give him a half-mulligan and hope he really gets the team humming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Mitch can't read a defense and can't throw accurately. He has everything else. Problem in the NFL is you have to read defenses and throw accurately to be a great QB.

• Winner Winner x 2
  23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well look what happen to Stafford after he left the Lions. Better team makes better QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    JMO, but I don't think comparing Stafford with Trubisky is even fair. One team no matter what anyone thought about Him ...thought He was their Qb,and the other one the team couldn't get rid of fast enough. Of course JMO, and I promise....I hope You are correct, and I'm wrong.

25. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I like Haeg but cutting him saves $2.6M and, with the 3 OL signings already and the draft to come, that money may be used elsewhere.

That's another reason not to go crazy at the QB spot just yet. We don't really know if our OC is an idiot or not.

And no one has ever improved in those two areas? He was drafted into a mess in Chicago and showed some good traits. What you can't teach is Kyler to be 6'2" or Haskins to be mobile or Pickett to get larger hands. You sure as hell see guys improve in accuracy and intelligence from year 1 to year 6 though. Josh Allen had the same deficiencies, worked hard and improved them. Did Mitch? Don't know yet but it's worth finding out.