1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Max Starks Interview On WDVE

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Jul 18, 2012.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Max was on WDVE this morning talking about being resigned and answering a variety of questions. If you're not familiar with WDVE's stuff, they're not what you might call 'serious sports interviewers'. There is a little bit of language, so if you are easily offended you might not want to listen. The highlight of the interview is a little after six minutes in when Max was asked if he had gotten a play book a while back, he said:

"I actually just got it yesterday...I had already had some familiarity because Todd's system is very similar to Ken Whisenhunt's...I talked to Kuge (OL Coach Kugler) yesterday and we went over some of this stuff and I was like 'that's the same plays we ran...' and he was like 'yeah, that's the way it's supposed to be'. So, I'm pretty familiar with it...it's the old system we ran my first three years here. Little bit nuanced as far as the play calling style, and some of the play names they kind of tweaked them a little bit, but overall it's very comparable..."

You can listen here~ stlrs.co/SHzHdd

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So much for starting over from scratch.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As I have said numerious times, this is not rocket science these guys
    are learning, They have been playing this game since midget football.
    I think most of them have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not surprised that Haley and Whisenhunt share certain aspects of their game, to be honest.

If he had said: "Oh yeah, it's just the same as under BA", then I would be a little more worried. The positive point here is that for some guys this is going to be a bit more familiar, so hopefully less time to learn.

How is Haley on gadget plays? That seems to be one major thing we lost when Whiz left.

5. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If it is like wizes playboof does that mean we may see a trick play from time to time

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    He runs them from time to time, so yeah, you can plan on it.

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Uhhhhhh, if the new Haley playbook is basically the "old system" that was run under Whiz, why were there reports Ben was struggling with it early on? Even Ben himself made references to having some trouble with it. Both statements (it's "easy" / it's "hard") can't be true. Or can they?? :hmmm:

8. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I'm going to assume its not 100% like it but they have similarities. Can't take it for granted how players say/word things sometimes...just like with anyone else. And who knows he may be talking a little more about the OL and their assignments/etc not just the overall/actual play itself. Who knows...either way its good for Max, haha.

9. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Whiz never seemed too comfortable with Ben IMO and maybe it had to do with Ben not quite grasping his system? Whiz didn't seem to trust Ben enough to unleash him and that could be why. So if that's the case then I can understand Ben not grasping it as easily as Max has. :shrug:

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Because the people that made a big deal out of Ben's comments didn't actually listen to what was being said. In the interview where he made the first rosetta stone comment the playbook hadn't even been given to the players yet. Ben was checking out plays drawn up on a chalk board and jokingly made the now infamous comment. In a subsequent interview he even says I jokingly said I'll need a rosetta stone.

11. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    IDK. While I will agree that a lot was unnecessarily made of Bens comments, I still got the feeling there was either some lack of understanding on Bens part or a lack of desire to learn a new system from Ben. But yeah, some took it to a whole other level.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I had a long reply typed up, but when I previewed, I saw you guys basically said what I was going to say. These two responses pretty much sum it up, IMO. :good:

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree with GP and did read in another interview with max , that he was talking about the blocking scheme very similar to whizs'. ben has alot more then blocking scheme to deal with. it better be harder for a qb then a lineman or we are in trouble. :cool:

14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012

*Funny (LOL)

15. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I see a lot of comments on here like, why did Ben struggle if they are so much the same and so much for starting over with our offense, etc. Just a couple of comments:

1. The plays which are going to be called themselves are not going to be all that different. We are still going to fun the ball right and run the ball left. We are still going to run slants and fly patterns. We are still going to run the stop and go. The difference for the offense is not the plays themselves as much as it is HOW they are called. A different sequence or different terminology. Pitching the ball to the left on a sweep may be said completely differently in the new offense. THAT is what they need to learn.

2. When it comes to whether our offense will be better or not, you can't just look at the plays themselves. BA was a HORRIBLE play-caller. He couldn't sequence. He couldn't layer one play on top of another. There didn't seem to be a master plan. Personally, I used to pray for us to struggle on our first possession because if his scripted plays worked he would be stuck on those the rest of the game and we would struggle to score. IMO, this offense is going to be better not because the plays are different so much as because the play-CALLING is different.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i see what your saying tarheel, but there will be some differences. not near as much for the linemen. as you say we will run right and run left and all or pass and they will have some blocking schemes to refine with the new O. ben and the skill guys will not only have to know those blocking schems but haley may like different alignments for each of those same old typical plays. haley may not like that bunch formation we have grown used to seeing , or he may like two TE's in that bunch, or a number of different personel adjustments. that's a little more difficult to learn or get on the same page with and then still have to know all the new jargon and call the play. the line should be far and away ahead of the skill people at first. :cool: