1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada's best game by far.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    It's still awful. The only time the offense looks like a pro-offense is between the 30's. Once they get inside the 30, it almost feels like a completely different person is calling the plays. It's strange to me. The penalties, the dropped passes and inaccurate passes at that point of the field don't help, but the play-calling flow inside the 30 isn't nowhere what it is at the midfield. Said it in another thread, I don't mind doing jet sweeps, I'd just like to see them used in a more unpredictable manner with DJ or Pickens. I think the play-calling looks better is because there's a true commitment to the running game and that the running game is working. This is limiting Pickett's passing reps and allowing him to be a game manager. We're seeing Pickett grow in this more limited role. This is building a solid foundation to build upon; this is building an identity; and ultimately, this is progress. Due to progress, the Steelers got back-to-back wins for the first time this season.

I'm wondering this as well. Since the Bye Week, there has been a significant change in what Tomlin wants this offense to be. Pickett's average passes per game in his first four starts is significantly higher than it has been the past 4 games.

2. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Gunner for 2 yards is what I was referring to.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Isn't it amazing for the offense, when you have a decent running game. Lol it is paramount
    especially with a rookie QB. We get a few more pieces on the OL and a run game coordinator
    you will see a much better offense out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Only thrown to twice yesterday. Twice!

5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I'm not willing to give him a free pass yet, he remains on probation.
    He gets into trouble when he gets into the Redzone, AND when closing games out.
    This is a good team but not as versatile as say KC. So, he should stick with what they do best - run the rock.

What I like:
    - It appears the offense is executing better with regards to being confused and out of position.
    - There are plays they diffused, dropped passes, missed passes, missed block, penalty. Though it is more limited than before.
    - A little better mix though he doesn't seem to have consistency.

I'd admit, there were a lot of new pieces that needed to fit but as they are starting to do so, he's still erratic.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So why did we fall apart in the second half

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

They ignored Pickens the entire game. I thought for sure they would have targeted him more in that second half.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm probably in the minority here... but I think Steelers losing earlier in the season had more to do with players not executing the plays... than the OC. The OC is always the biggest scapegoat when things are not going well. I've been a Steelers fan for over 40 years, and the OC always gets shat upon. People whined about our better OCs... like Erhardt, Mularkey, Whisenhunt, Arians and Haley.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    another SUCK 2nd half.

i bet he is still here next year. Tomlin won't fire him, Rooney does not care. you know - CONTINUITY!!!! it rules the day....

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

The 2022 Steelers offense has had far more problems than a bad oc. As you said execution played a huge role in our failures. In the beginning of the season we would have multiple failures on each play, but as the season has progressed those issues have become fewer and further between. I mentioned a couple weeks ago wouldn’t be surprised if Canada returns. At this point I would all but guarantee he returns. Our oline is improving every week, as is Our run game, and quarterback play. As they continue to build confidence and perform the offense will add new wrinkles and complexity. Pickett missed a few yesterday that would have changed the complexion of the game dramatically. Add in a couple drops and we had a relatively close game. I’m not worried at all. It’s still a win and the offense is improving every week.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Pickett skipped a couple to receivers, simms dropped one or two, dj dropped one or two. Hit those and that was an entirely different game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Especially the TD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    That’s right he missed muth for a td. Think he missed someone else for a td as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Mmm. Maybe. I`m trying to imagine if we had a good O-line where Kenny was under less threat and where we would be in the standings. Then again, if the O-line was good all year, how long would we have stuck with Mitch and delayed Kenny`s development?

I think even if we had a good O-line all year, there has been very unimaginative play calling for much of the year until recently. Maybe Canada was feeling the heat of the unemployment line after this season and found a way to be more innovative to save himself.

I tell you what, if we lose no more than one game the rest of the way and the offense keeps improving, there is an argument for keeping Canada.

15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    They need to learn how to turn Field Goals into Touchdowns.

They can move the ball now with improved rushing game, but when the approach they OPP 35 to 15 yard line.

It goes to hell in a hand basket.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    There isn't a Qb in the world a great running game doesn't help....So I agree.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    People will hate your last sentence but it is accurate. We need Oline help on offense and CB/LB help on defense. I’m not arguing Canada is great but I think what he wants to do is in line with what this team can currently do; run the ball and throw short passes. As KP’s game expands hopefully so does the play calling, whether under Canada or a new OC.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It’s beginning to look like success in Matt Canada’s offense is heavily reliant on a good run game. There have been more plays the past few weeks that I’ve thought “good design” or “love that play call in that situation” etc., but there’s still too many head scratchers. Better QB play has certainly helped make everything look a lot better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You know it, I know it. Opens up so much more.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It’s funny how just a few plays make a season. If Olszewski doesn’t muff a punt vs NE and we make any one of 4 different plays vs the Jets we are sitting at 7-5 and are firmly in the drivers seat for the AFC North. If that were the case we are likely talking about how encouraging the year is vs how embarrassing it is. Even if we were sitting at 7-5, we wouldn’t be a true SB contender… but it would be encouraging nonetheless.

If you would have told me that we benched Trubisky mid game in week 4 prior to the season, I would have assumed we were looking at a 5 win season at best. Right now it’s looking like an 8 or 9 win season is in sight if we execute down the stretch. KP is progressing nicely. I really think that the end of the season has a chance to be an excellent building block for next year.

• Like Like x 3
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it's our MO - FG's instead of TD's......

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You forgot.....just catch one of the 4 ints Tua tried to throw us, and that's also a different game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

I would have to agree with your sentiments. Definitely had me worried when benching mitch because I thought not only was he not given much of a chance but didn't want Kenny's confidence ruined or get hurt unnecessarily on a rebuild year but now it's looking better. He's a tough kid it seems and I hope his improvements continue.

24. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Matt canada off. still stinks.He still needs fired

25. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Yeah his best game still only gets us 19 pts .

I do love putting Gunner in motion wide then bringing him along the line so he can stand there as the play starts. He is not scary enough that teams even move when he is in motion.
    If they did follow him why bring him right back to where the run is intended to go, its not like he blocks just appears a wasted motion.

He still sucks. If you can't find ways to get someone open on every play your not an NFL level OC .

My fear is this tiny amount of success might get him an extra year. It only took LSU to realize he sucked.