1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada new OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You're certain they kept RF on board to fu another year and hired his replacement last year just so they wouldn't fire him before his contract ended? Is this team that screwed up?

2. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I will doubt many will whine about getting rid of a washed up QB personally responsible for our last 2 play off losses over the last several years.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm more than willing to accept we will probably suck for a time. But a new chapter is desperately needed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    He fits right in then.

5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I believe this is true. Canada was brought in to be waiting in the wings in the very likely chance Finchtner would fail. The Pens let's face it, they did the same thing by adding Reirdon as an assistant coach. But in this case Pens aren't allergic to firing their HCs.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Im thinking with all the shifting and motion we are going to need to revamp our TE group?

They all will need to block.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    This will a very disappointing hire. It usually takes how long to become a coordinator at the NFL level? Who actually does the hiring, MT or KC? Are we that cheap we find the least experienced NFL coach available for Ben to ignore? To me, we hire our coordinators as well as we draft DBs. If Ben is back, NOTHING is changing. Mark it down.

8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

A hibernating bear in Alaska is more creative than Fitcher.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Need a running back first to have a run game. Not two scared puppies holding on to the ball with both arms because they fumble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I guarantee the whole hey he worked in our facility with Pitt so he's sorta a Pittsburgh guy factored into this decision. Rooney's are suckers for that crap even though it means nothing.

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Negative and Negative

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Oh he's all in all right, to the tune of 41 mill.

And Rudolph's is a UFA after the 2021 season.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True, but they need a physical style offensive line not this finesse crap that Ben likes

14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    My biggest concern is the same with virtually every single "hire from within" decision.

If the dude was that good to start with, he would have been influential enough to make changes during the season. I understand the argument that the OC makes those decisions, but I don't see Fitchner as a hard ass not willing to listen to sound ideas (say like Haley)..... so if Canada had some direction and thoughts during the season he should have made an impact.

That being said, I personally think they stayed internal to appease Ben. Hiring an outsider OC would have likely caused some big changes and disrupted Ben's attitude..... and the Rooneys & Tomlin are not about pissing Ben off..... regardless of what the fanbase might or might not think.

Just my .02

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Very sad, but true.

16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Are you new here? people here whine abt what time of the day it is ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben hasn't been under center all season, so you expect him to do it in a playoff game? If they were going to win that game, it was by passing the ball, the running game has been inconsistent all season

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He actually did play some under center, but very little.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well they better get rid of Ebron, because he isn't blocking anybody.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Will Canada be allowed to implement his scheme? I don't expect him to completely change the playbook or play call verbiage.

OR

Will Tomlin only allow Canada to proceed with the status quo? "Here's the play sheet. Don't deviate from it. Ben has the freedom to audible. Don't make any waves."

If it's option 1, I think we'll see improvement with this offense (if we have upgrades in personnel). If it's option 2, we might as well have kept Randy around.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers dont like to fire anyone, that’ how they do business. If the offense had an amazing season they could just extended RF but if not, they had his replacement in the wings. They brought Canada on with the idea of infusing his ideas with the offense this past season and they did for a little while before moving away from it. Who hires a QB coach and announces they will be helping with the offense game plan. They could do that without broadcasting it to the world.

I’m pretty sure the Steelers knew what they had in RF and that it was below line, their reluctance to fire people plus the Ben factor I’m sure played a roll in keeping him for the last year of his contract.

22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben should have been under center (more) all season, that's part of the problem. No run game is unsustainable, as I stated after the second Ravens game. The run game was inconsistent because it was abandon in almost every game. Teams can't be one dimensional for a whole season and expect to win every week, the 2020 Steelers season proves it.
    The Steelers lost 4-1/2 games leading up to that playoff game, that was plenty of time to adjust. The game plan was no longer working, yet no changes were made, which lead to what many consider the biggest collapse in NFL history.
    11-0 was smoke and mirrors, blown out in a home playoff game by a team who didn't need to practice is reality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well when you're getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage, I see why they abandoned the run game. I agree Fichtner needed to adjust the passing game from a dink and dunk, when it was obvious teams were sitting on those routes.

• Like Like x 1
  24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's where the coaching part comes in.
    Dead-last in rushing isn't going to win when it counts, that's not a secret.
    Case in point: 2020 Pittsburgh Steelers.

25. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    they claim that these stories are passed to the national guys by the agents