1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada new OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    They did,and the reason they did not offer him the job is blatantly geographic. They want no one from Canada that far south, pure nationalism gone a muck.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Chit happens, at my age, I've seen many underdogs win on the road unexpectedly. Maybe you haven't but keep living and you will.

3. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Come on heinz, even if they could trade for Darnold, that 5th year option on him is like 25 million guaranteed, then you either have to sign of tag...that tag around 35 million (?) plus likely your first round pick. Stafford or Prescott will still cost you big time bucks the team just does not have. I agree that Ben should go, start building a team (line especially) for the future. In 2022 if they are in the top 15 of the draft better place to move up if warranted, or sign your stop gap at that time. Yes it can get ugly, but the core is there to field a decent team pretty quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I bet I know who wins.:cool:

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I keep seeing this but wasn’t that the week before? I thought they practiced last week.

Just curious, for posterity.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You can bet McFarland will have a bigger role in the offense in 2021, him and Canada were together at Maryland.

• Like Like x 3
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Both weeks were limited.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...covid-19-continues-to-spread-across-the-team/

"There was no activity once again in Berea at the Cleveland Browns headquarters and training facility on Thursday. Once again, the Browns were barred from holding a practice in advance of Sunday night’s wild-card matchup with the Pittsburgh Steelers."

"Quarterback Baker Mayfield has not thrown a ball all week, a fact he mentioned in his press briefing. There have been no in-person interactions between teammates in any structured format for over a week, other than Sunday’s home win over the Steelers that clinched a postseason berth for the Browns."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-after-positive-covid-19-tests-idUSKBN2951FS

"The Cleveland Browns preparations for their pivotal regular-season finale took another hit as the team said they would not practice on Thursday after two more players tested positive for COVID-19."

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not practicing doesn't mean much when a teams gives you 4 turnovers in the first half.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ha!

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Informative and sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This is what you can expect from Canada’s offense. And if Ben doesn’t want to play ball, cut him loose.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I've never seen the ball snapped over the head of a QB who's under center.
    I've never seen an interception thrown on a running play. Not once.
    The players were asked to perform a failed game plan. I know the game plan had failed because I watched it fail for 6 straight weeks. Very few changes were made (none really). The players can't be expected to execute something that's been proven un-executable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
  14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Can't compare college to the NFL, even with the same coach. There's far more shotgun in college than in the NFL (unless you're the Pittsburgh Steelers). The reality is that if Ben comes back, he'll be in shotgun most of the time because that's what Ben does, and when Ben doesn't get his way he makes passive aggressive comments to the media about it. He's such a whiny *****, I can't stand Ben, even though he did bring us 2 SB's.

I appreciate his talent, but think he has held us back as much as he has helped us over the years. Plus he's an *******

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    They probably couldn't implement much of those type plays this season(2020) with no real training camp, ect.

16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    QB coaches don't often have a ton of influence on the offence being implemented. Instead, he would work with Ben to make sure Ben was running the offence implemented properly, his footwork was good, other technique, etc. The QB coaches stick to fundamentals, generally speaking. They might translate or break the OC's offence down for the QB, but they don't design the offence or really have a ton of input.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Cam Heyward stated: “If I could culminate, we didn’t do what we’re good at when it came to stopping the run, getting turnovers, playing with a lead. Our execution wasn’t up to par and it’s playoff football. I attribute that to us not being ready. That’s all I can say.”
    The captain of the team who rested starters the week before and had a full undisturbed practice schedule.

18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    So essentially what they started the season out doing and stopped doing for "reasons"

19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Can’t wait to see the changes. I could see the receivers that we have thriving in Canada’s system. Many on here thought this was the plan all along, bring Canada in last offseason to get to know personnel while Randy’s contract ran out.

They need to get him some guys on offence, give him a chance. OLine and a good running back at a minimum. Two of the first three picks in the upcoming draft need to be offence.

In relation to Ben, I hope if he comes back he is all in.

20. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I agree with this and I’ve suspected as much for a while now. Fans will remember an infamous play call Ben admitted he hated where he double pumped then threw a goal line interception.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I honestly hope it is Doug Marrone. Within his brief time in the NFL, he was a Offensive Lineman for the Steelers in Training Camp back in 1991; Chuck Noll's Final Season. Doug Marrone spoke highly of his brief time here back during an interview in the 2018 Season. His Offensive Lines usually had strong running games and prided themselves on establishing the run.

I definitely would not mind giving him a shot here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

If this helps Mason or whomever the Steelers plans are for the future, sign me up for all of this please!!!!

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The biggest thing is bringing this to NFL level D's vs college level. Not saying elements will not work, but your opponent are also (for the most part) elite athletes, eventually..with enough video they will learn how to defend.

24. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Good with this. I really want to move on from Ben, Pouncey and AV though. Build that OL this year. Marrone would be a good add.

Then Khan can make the HC/DC changes before '22. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  25. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Everyone wants to move on from Ben, Till Ben is gone, then they will be whining wishing he was still here , lol

• Disagree Disagree x 2