1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada has no excuses this season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 11, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

He has two QBs that have some mobility, enough weapons on offense after the draft, and the OL should be improved from last season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don’t disagree. But what defines a successful offense for this team in 2022?

Last year, the Steelers O was 21st in pts, 23rd in yards and 24th in 1st downs.
    They did get some late game clutch play from Ben. And ended up 2.5 games better in W/L than you’d expect from their point differential.

If the O improves to just above avg (say, 13th to 16th) in the major offensive categories, and end up 9-8 ish. Is that progress enough? Considering, it’s a new and/or rookie QB, an OL that might improve to below average from dreadful, and 2 new WRs?

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Good question.

Im not sure what kind of ranking I’d be looking for to qualify a success. But one thing I want to see from Canada’s offense is some more depth of playcalling, especially when the initial calls aren’t working.

It was unclear last year if the lack of adjustments was due to Bens limitations or Canadas.

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well just My opinion, but if it's not up in the teens on all those categories, and more...
    ....With a easier schedule, No Ben(since it was supposedly all His fault by some), all the offensive FA, all the drafted offensive players, a extra Qb coach, more experience by the OL, and the least distance traveled by a team this year......I would say it was a failure. :shrug:

• Like Like x 4
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If you're going to post somebody else's tweet than at least make sure it has correct grammar. But what?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Cut big ben some slack. He has suffered multiple head injuries

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As @AFan stated, what is the metric to base improved performance? Clearly putting up points but an efficient NFL Offense is so much more than merely just scoring points for that is the end game of a drive and of course.. the whole aspect of playing Offense. For me, there will be four major categories. They are as follows;

1.) Third Down Conversion Percentage

2.) Fourth Down Conversion Percentage

3.) Redzone Scoring Attempts Per Game

4.) Redzone Scoring Percentage (TDs Only)

*** All Information Above Courtesy of Teamrakings.con ***

Now, as I stated before, more to Offense than scoring. This above is a very good example, if not, the best example as to why scoring alone is not the best metric for determining a good offense. How often an Offense can convert in situational downs and how consistently they can continually do so separate the good teams from the great ones. Now when factoring in how often a team can cash those opportunities in the Redzone, there is something far greater to work with there.

Pittsburgh ranked 17th in Third Down Percentage, 20th in Fourth Down Percentage, 22nd in Redzone Scoring Attempts and 21st in Redzone Scoring Percentage. Given how well Kenny Pickett alone was excellent in situational football during his final season, I can imagine this is what the likes of both Tomlin and Canada wanted all along. It is now up to them to improve these figures and therefore, improve the Offense as a whole.

Doing this will be a great step in the right direction for improving the Offense. Whether this Offense can or cannot remains to be seem. Time will tell.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  8. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Also wondered if I missed anyone mentioning that this team hasn't scored a offensive td in the first quarter in the last 9 games, and only 4 times in the 18 games??? As AQL mentioned, scoring alone is not the best metric for determining a good offense, but this undoubtedly is where success starts for me especially if they are consistent. First things first...not playing from behind every game. How many games in will this continue to happen before either a change needs to be made at coordinator or qb....even if the Steelers are winning??

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He better shape up, the Steelers have improved the roster he has to work with.
    The ball is in his court and he and players need to deliver.

• Like Like x 2
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    First they let the drama queen go: Positive
    They beefed up the offensive line: Positive
    They added to the receiver room: Positive
    They have 2 QB's that can actually run his offense: Positive
    Add Muth and Najee: Positive

Unless he falls on the sword he will have another season besides 2022.

Only time will tell...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not worrying about the Punter’s performance is a successful Offensive clue.

12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The two tackle spots are an obvious weakness and he is integrating a new QB(s) so there is bound to be some growing pains but if there isn’t a significant improvement by the second half of the season and down the stretch he is toast.

Next season is going to be about progression and finding an identity on offence. Even the most blinkered fan can’t think they are contenders. I’m not sold on Canada by any means but I’d be happy enough if I saw a much better offence emerging in 2022. I think his hands were a bit tied with Ben in 2021 to be fair, he was never going to learn a new system for what was almost certainly going to be his last year.

13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm in the same ballpark as everyone else. It's really up to Canada now. The offense was very much a generic form of what he wants to do. Now he can go balls out with it. That doesn't mean that he'll be successful with it. Even in the generic form there was situations where even I questioned play calls. Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. I mostly want to see growth and improvement as the season goes forward, as opposed to stagnation, with Ben doing his thing in the 4th to win games.

14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The Steelers are predicted to win 7 games this year.

So if the Steelers when 8 games then that is a successful season

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Funny....I'm already hearing excuses. LoL

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

That is assuming that everything works. That the offensive line is indeed an improvement and a significant improvement at that. Before even reaching training camp that line has already been ranked as the third worst pass blocking unit in the league. Does Chase put it together this year or is it similar to 2021? Do the drops return to DJ? Will Pickens and Austin be ready? Will Friermuth take a jump? What about gentry and radar? What happens if we are decimated by injuries again? What if Trubisky truly is a bust? What if Pickett is a bust?

clearly proclaiming Canada has all the pieces in place is a bit premature.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Excuses or reality?

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I guess We shall see. :shrug:

19. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Assuming Pickett is the starter at some point, Canada has the excuse of a rookie QB.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    a coach can call all the right plays but the players have to execute the play to it's fullest extent. all plays are designed to reach a specific goal. if they don't execute it well, is that the coaches fault? now part two: the defense has plays to counter every offensive play too. it all depends on who executes it to it's fullest and they execute it the way the coach taught them as to who will win any given play. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The offense is still relatively young and unproven.

There will still be some growing pains this upcoming season.

Unless the offensive line gets fixed and we lean heavy on the run.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    8.5 would be a non loosing season

That might help set a few people off ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I wouldn’t write LT off

A rookie was stuck in that spot last year which normally is a really bad idea

Thinking last year is what you get this year is a poor extrapolation

24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Not writing anyone off but that line struggled last year, even with Ben getting rid of the ball faster than any other QB in the league. If they want to evolve that offence they are going to have to ask more of Chuks and Dan Moore at some point. Right now we have no evidence that they are up to the task so it has to be a major question mark at best.

Players can improve dramatically throughout their careers of course. Let’s hope that is the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    We had 15 different offensive line combinations last year. That in and of itself is a recipe for disaster. Couple that with a long past his prime qb and you have the 2021 Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1