1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada FIRED

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Nov 21, 2023.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Of course he discussed it with his boss.he made the decision to fire Canada went to Rooney said hey I think we’ve seen enough. Rooney says do what you have to do. There no huge conspiracy involved. Rooney could have just as easily said no I want to keep him or wait until the season is over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Wow, it's as if you were there when it happened.

:sneak:

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    That might have been the final nail Canada’s coffin
    Do you actually think he would fire someone without discussing it with his boss

Do you think his boss would fire one of his staff without discussing it with Tomlin

This is business it’s not that complicated

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Interesting insight concerning that play. Start at 17:50 mark

5. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Just have to post once in thread, but reading this title yesterday made me so happy. Almost haven't had time to process things. :)

6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Love how he says it's QB play, but most importantly that's got to be bad coaching. Someone is drilling that into him. The concepts are terrible, but they are getting some players open, if you make different reads on the plays!

He was getting better last season, then we saw a little bit this Summer, get into season and we get this ultra conservative stick to the called read crap!

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I keep coming back to that td play where Canada looked pissed in the coach's box and wonder did he do some ass chewing after Kenny said he changed the routes and protection scheme from the line.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    All day yesterday, I was thinking it might just be Kenny, and maybe we are screwed anyways…but then I listened to Ramon Foster on the DK Sports channel…

Apparently the whole offense was ready to revolt on Canada. They were growing frustrated and didn’t like the guy, and it wasn’t just one person either, it was most of them.

I think Tomlin didn’t have a choice, it was either that or lose the team.

Dan was saying Boz definitely called Canada out in that one tunnel video, I wasn’t sure, but I guess he confirmed it. Ramon said Klemm left early specifically because of Canada.

They basically said he was a bad communicator and leader of men.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I got that feeling too. I said last week or maybe two where he seems like the type where he sees it working in his head and can't understand why people don't see it. I've worked with managers like that and most of the time they didn't like me because I changed what they wanted to do in order to make it work and could understand why I would do that.

The part of this that won't change though is Tomlin refusing to practice plays over and over again until they are right. Gameplaning for specific situations against the team they are playing. Like you know Mike that Hilton is going to blitz multiple times during the game. Put someone wherever he is and as soon as he blitzes dump the ball to Warren, Austin, he'll McFarland if need be. Make Hilton look foolish by getting rid of the ball.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I want< BEN ROTHLISBERGER>:thumbs_up: for offensive coordinator. Because he will draw plays right in the dirt.:thumbs up: If not Ben let's get----- AB:roflmao:-----. Because he wants it. so, he can quit again if we still suck.

11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I would bet dollars to donuts every coach in the league wishes they could practice every play over and over again until they’re perfected

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011

I think this press conference addresses whether the decision was MT’s or Rooney’s

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  14. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I get it but Tomlin goes overboard to the extent we don’t play loose. The whole team and philosophy is built around it, even the defense. 25th in yards allowed but good in red zone and turnovers. It’s not fun football to watch as a fan that’s for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    What came first the chicken or the egg?

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    upload_2023-11-23_9-7-15.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  17. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And to you and yours

19. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

It was such a big problem for years

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I would as well but have had the feeling that Tomlin isn't about perfecting the details so much as having the terminology and play art down. This has been going on for a long time where you can go back and listen to player comments about practice and come away thinking what are you actually practicing. Ben would say they would work on stuff during the week but not specifics, things like their 11 man formations where you have the slot receiver run a slant, the x run a up and out and the y run a go and Ben will go deep to the y in a play that isn't defended where the back and OLine simulate blocking. You aren't practicing details but you get to see that the QB can make a 40 yard pass to an undefended receiver 3 times out of five. So yes they practice but with little purpose.

I hate Brady, BB and the Patriots with the firey passion of a thousand sun's but can't deny that they practiced plays over and over again to scheme guys open. They have 3 guys work mid to deep and force defenders to take them as a serious threat just to clear out a crossing or drag route for Edelman. They worked on it so much that it was like a foundation piece. The last time I witnessed that level of practiced play on the Steelers was during the Lebeau heyday and the crossfire blitz. They had that play down cold.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Well no they didn’t. They simply don’t have time. During the season you get 3 days to install the entire gameplan. The practice length is also limited by the cba. `you have the same issues with training camp. You’re limited to two hours and have to learn a playbook the size of a phone book. That’s why changing OC’ s mid season doesn’t change much. You can’t install 75-100 plays per game in a weak or even two if done during bye weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Tomlin didn't make the call, his buddy Najee made the call and Tommy Boy just shuffled his feet.

23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It can be done, obviously not wholesale changes at this point but film sessions are where you identify problems and opportunities. Individual position group meetings are where you all get on the same page and address skills and during practice work on techniques and team building. 11 on 11 is where you hone the plays. They have limited time so line up run the play throw a quick slant, line up quickly again same formation same play, check down to the back, rinse repeat and get them down. You don't try to practice the whole playbook you work on the things that need work on. Friday Tomlin gives his 10 things video and locks in the gameplan, Saturday is the walk through. Anything else is not necessary.

I went through this at my former job and it's still happening now. They keep increasing the number of middle managers but none of them understands the goal. The goal is to get customers orders out the door everything else is unnecessary and they should make the focus on serving the goal not having meetings about the importance of meetings. The goal is to win games and every thing should be in service to this goal, anything else is wasted time.

• Like Like x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm:

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You mean to tell me Dulac got it wrong again.

[​IMG]