1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mathieu

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Mar 1, 2018.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It’s sounds like he might be getting released. Yeah I know sign him son everyone but this one actually makes a ton of sense. Absolutely a beast in coverage at the FS posistion. Let Davis play the run more and boom two areas are instantly improved. Not comparing the 2 but does anyone think Troy could have done everything he did without Clark. Physically yes, schematically not as much.

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I could see him taking a pay cut but otherwise staying on the team.......

3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Eagles might give up Foles for him.
    That’s the locals wish.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Id take the Honey Badger in Black and Gold.

He'll be costly though. There are a few intriguing FA's, we'll see if they make a play for any of them.

If they sign Bell, forget it.

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I had a epiphany.....couldn't the Rooneys just buy the rights to LBs rap singles.....throw them in the trash where they belong and skim a few million off the cap hit...:shrug:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Mathieu is a beast. I am all in on this one. It's hard to believe the Cards are going to just let him walk.

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    To much money. I would rather have bell and extend hayden. Draft a safety who is as good or better

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He's had 2 knee surgeries I think, he also has a big contract his play may have fallen off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I still like the idea of the Boston.:cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    So your saying he's better than Mike Mitchell? :hmm:

13. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    How 'bout having Ben take a 10 million dollar pay cut and hiring his wife as a part time secretary for 10 million? I'm sure the league has ways to stop teams from pulling a fast one like your (or my) suggestions

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    In his prime, no doubt.

I’ll admit to not having paid much attention to him recently though. Why is he getting released?

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Boston will be out of the Steelers price range.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Honey Badger has missed a lot of games hasn't he. He is a baller , not sure he
    can stand up to NFL grind?

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Why not Brady and Kraft got something similar worked out where Gisele gets payed a obscene amount of money for no reason....

18. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Blast I strongly disagree that if we sign Bell we can't sign anyone. We will have to make some cut but most of the cuts would improve this team just from the standpoint of them being gone. Mitchell(5m), Wilcox(3.1m), Gay (1.7m), R. Golden(1.4), Sensabaugh(1.4m) are all guys that we can either replace cheaper via FA or draft, that alone right there is 12.6m freed up.

Now for the hard decisions Foster(2.6) Finney did a very good job filling in, Alualu(3.m) yeah he did a nice job but since we have 26m already wrapped up in our starters why have 3m for a back up? Look for a cheaper FA or draft a guy. McDonald(4.3m) I know this has been talked about but sorry his stats and availability does not match his salary. I want this kid back but he needs to cut that contract in half, 4.3,5.1, 6.4 and 6.4 the next 4 years is way to much. Add incentives in the new contract whatever I am fine with but these numbers don't fit on a team that has Bell, Ab, Juju and MB. That is another 12 mil and even if we use half of that to replace these guys that is another 6m freed up.

Now to Ben and Pouncey extend them both a year and turn base salary into signing bonus like they just did to DD and Tuitt. I don't know how all that works but lets say we could get 10m space there(Tuitt freed up 10m alone) so now there is the money for FA's.

I really feel we could get a Z. Brown and T.Boston for somewhere in the 4/25 range. I feel the money is there to get it all done.

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He played in all 16 games last year but his production wasnt what he had in 2015 his best season but two torn ACLs one in each knee plus his huge contract 62.5 M due to make 18.75M this year, couple his big contract with the fact the cards are going to pay big money to get a starting QB could force them to trade him in FA:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...oster-news-tyrann-mathieu-contract/381947002/

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  20. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I like the first paragraph. Can't really complain about any of those, but for the fact it's letting 3 safeties go. I guess sign one, draft one and promote Dangerfield would be the way through that.

The second paragraph, though, I dunno - I can't see any of them going.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I get we are letting 3 go but look how bad we were there I am fine with starting over. I would love to get Boston or someone close to that I also would like to take a chance on Byrd who could come cheap 900k last season also drafting at least 1 if not 2. A complete overhaul is not a bad thing imo at the S spot.

As for the 2 part like I said these are tough decisions. I am not a know it all but these are my opinions, I feel Finney played well while Foster was out no? Alualu was good but almost 30m for 3 guys while everyone is complaining about how much Bell wants he Bell produced for us....again jmo. And Vance well that is tough but when he is our 4th-5th option that is a lot of money for that. Love the player but not the price and like I said bring him back half price. Lots of TE's in FA this year Burton, Graham, Eifert and Brate are all gonna get sign long before Vance. :smiley1:

22. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't disagree with you about the S slot. Byrd's name has been floated around a few seasons ago, if I recall, and I wouldn't be against that for depth. Anything is an upgrade from Wilcox.

Also, I see your point on MacDonald. I wonder if the cost of cutting MacDonald and signing one of those guys may not outweigh the upgrade we'd get from him to them (if you see what I mean) - given that I suspect Eifert and Graham will get locked down or move out of our price range (Eifert's injury history is also a red flag).

On Finney - I noticed that I didn't notice he was on the field, which I guess is what you want from a lineman. I think I'd be down with that move the most (though sorry to see Foster go, as he's a good story of how the Steelers develop players outside of the top draft picks).

• Like Like x 1
  23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ahh, Kraft and the Pats aint paying Giselle. She is making an obscene amount of money, but from the fashion industry, commercials in Europe and Brazil, etc. you may think it's for no reason, and you may be right, but it's got nothing to do with Brady or his salary cap hit.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I would love to have Vance back as a matter of fact I want him back but I just don't like the money he is getting. Not sure if a FA could be had at a price I am looking for with the production Vance can gice when he is on the field. I do think there are some nice options in this draft but not til after round 3 and maybe one of Fumagalli, Thomas, Hurst and Smythe are there for us.

I don't want to break up the oline but when you look at the options Finney and Feiler are pretty good back ups. These are hard decisions but the way I look at it we have guys proven to step in.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So you're going to gut half the team? Or are you going to replace them? Because that will take up some of the money you freed up by cutting them. Then you need money to sign the rookie class. By the time the dust settles, you won't have much to lure any FA here. Certainly no top safety that you could if you used Bells money.