1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mathieu Released

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by We need a change, Mar 14, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry NYSF but I think you are downplaying the importance of McDonald's role because of his stats...his blocking is a huge part of making this O go from very good to great. The plays we can run with him on the field because of his ability to block and catch and spread the field. It's unfortunate he has a problem staying healthy that's impossible to predict. If healthy his numbers would be way better and it still wouldn't tell the whole story. It's not as easy as cutting him and resigning him,there are probably a few teams with plenty of cap space that would bring him in. The Jets lost ASJ to the Jaguars on a 2 yr 10 mil. deal which is in the ballpark of McDonald's rate....ask yourself who you'd rather have. He might be our 4th best weapon but what he brings to the table doesn't show up in the box score.....IMO.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Every player wants every other player to get what they ask for. None of them get it. They get what is determined to be a fair deal by both sides and within cap limits and bargaining rules. The only problem happens when players, and many of them aren’t very intelligent, don’t understand this.

Bell is exceptionally well compensated.

There is not a single player that would care about Bell’s contract when considering his own. Not even the players on the Steelers let alone a FA.

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I appreciate your opinion and respect it however I disagree with it. I do agree that Vance is more to this team than just stats your right he adds a blocking element. However he missed 6 games in which we went 5-1 and had some very nice stats, there were also 4 other games that he either started or played but didn't finish or didn't play at all adding no stats in which we went 2-2. You see we have so many playmakers it is very hard for me to justify spending this kind of money on him.

As for another team snatching him up go back and read how the 49ers were trying to trade him in the draft and there were no takers. We traded for him and only costed us a swap in draft picks, like 15 spots, that should tell ya something. Also guys like Thomas, Ebron, Bennett and Celek are still available and teams aren't throwing money at them what makes you think they would want a guy who has a history of injury and no production to back it up? Who would you take Thomas or McDonald or any other name I mentioned? I want Vance back I have said that but not at this price to big of a risk and not enough reward. He is not Gronk, Kelce or Ertz where he is a main weapon. I would rather draft a guy than to have Vance at this salary. And yeah before someone brings up can't draft every position that's right you can and that is what FA is for. I would rather sign a cheap WR and draft a TE before I bring Vance back. The Fa class is deep and we can find bargains at WR maybe even TE so you wouldn't have to draft one. Of course if Vance wants to stay here and avoid all this he could just rip up that contract and sign a new one or risk not catching on with a contender in FA.

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I saw something on the NFL channel I think the show was free agent frenzy and they had a lady on who must cover the Steelers. She said she got a text from " a prominent player" on the Steelers and he said all the players want the Steelers to sign Bell long term. I have no link and have no clue who she was but it was on tv and it was said.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They dont care about his contract, they want him here because of what he provides for the offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

That's my point the players what him back.....

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes but for his talent. Not because oh geeze poor Bell is going to starve if he doesnt get that extra 3 million and Ill be so angry if he doesnt get paid that amount. (Thats not your argument I know).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You make some valid points but I would rather have him then the others you mentioned because they can't block and aren't motion guys who can block on the move. I don't really know what the market is like for TEs but like I said ASJ got 10 mil. for 2 . He's getting paid what he's getting paid and I'm sure has no intentions of ripping up his contract. He's here,he knows our system and I feel he's a important cog because of his abilities I mentioned. There are things we can do with other players contracts as well so I don't think McDonald is strapping us financially. Idk he sold me on that hustle play last year and on a team full of selfish players I like the grit he brings....

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    .......and it sure ain't because of his rapping.

10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

There is no point in going on about why I disagree with your position on bell. Nothing you say nor what I say will change your mind nor will it change mine. Too much money for Bell. Thats it. End of story

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Like I said I like Vance and want him here but imo he is not important enough to ME to justify the big contract. We are hurting for money everyone says that here then we need to make so room and imo here is just one small option. You are right the hustle play was special and the kind of stuff we look for in a player, heart. Vance had reception in 6 out of 17 games, missed 6 games and parts(not sure how much) of 4 others. This is a history with him and not worth the kind of money he is getting.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok we agree to dsagree. :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I attribute his slow start and lack of numbers on him learning the "Rosetta Stone" offense and certainly injury. Like I sad I've read there are still things we can do financially to free up the money but I guess they haven't come across a slam dunk move they feel is worth the restructuring and what not.

It looks like agree to disagree....you can " have it your way" but if McDonald can stay healthy ,he will produce and " I'll be lovin it".....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Exactly.. Now I can agree to that for sure :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah well his slow start has nothing to do with the number of games he missed of the number of passes he dropped early on right? I agree he needed to get up to speed but his production is not what my issue is, my issue is his production/availability mixed in with the fact he don't have to be a #2-3 weapon on this team vs the amount of money he is getting.

Love the last line nice job there. I think Vance is a good fit here and also think he wants to stay here. I think a new contract would be the best for both and I think Vance knows that. :smiley1:

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok so what you're saying is you want McDonald's but only ordering from the dollar menu......got it;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    And that isn't going to happen. There is no doubt other teams saw what the Steelers saw, that McDonald is far better than those numbers NY STEELERSFAN likes to post over and over again. Of course, one reason he likes them is they don't include the playoff game, in which McDonald caught 10 passes for 112 yards against the top-ranked pass defense in the NFL.

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Plus he wants to save all the money he can to overpay bell!!!!

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    E,I.E.,I..........Oh!

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Agreed cause I just need a snack before dinner..........lol.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    First of all show me where other teams wanted him........waiting.....crickets cause there wasn't. Also yes Vance had a very good playoff game but one game does not overshadow the season. I keep posting these numbers cause they are true. The NFL use season stats not playoff stats, I am not trying to hide anything yeah Vance had a great game in the playoff big deal we are paying him for the season not one game. :facepalm:

I like Vance have said that over and over but the fact is he is not worth 4m this year 5m next year and 6 the 2 years after. Oh yeah the top ranked D that gave up 42 come on man Ben had 5 TD's vs them everyone had big games it isn't like Vance did something special. AB had had 132 and 2td's, Bell had 88 and 1td, MB had 78 and 1td come on man everyone had a field day are we suppose to have a party for Vance who finally did something? Oh wait that 112yds and 0 td's means he is worth 4m........stop!!!!!!

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Some more hate:

McDonald, a 2013 second-round draft pick, recorded 64 receptions in his four seasons. But it was his rash of drops and injuries that cast doubt on his tenure. He missed 16 games because of injuries, and he dropped 12 of 76 catchable passes, according to ProFootballFocus.com.

That 15.8 percentage of drops since 2013 ranks as the league’s worst among tight eight who had at least 75 catchable targets, PFF reported.

[​IMG]

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He seemed to get better as the season went on, a lot less drops. He also is a good blocker in the run game, way better than Jesse James.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012