1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mathieu Released

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by We need a change, Mar 14, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think some are forgetting how great a blocker he is and how he makes our O that more potent because of his blocking and the plays we can run successfully because of that.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Please click link for stats :smiley1:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CoatSa00.htm

Am I reading this wrong???

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Took me a while to read that at all! But I thought you gave stats for Wheaton, my bad :lolol:

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think players like him are important to have on a team, especially with some of the selfishness here.

He's a gritty player and as Steel pointed out, damn good blocker too.

They arent going to pay Bell what he wants regardless whether they have the money or not so no need to risk losing Vance.

We're not going to see eye to eye on this, lol.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They don't have money to sign a ILB or S in FA, and you want them to cut Vance then go sign another TE in FA :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Sorry that is why I posted the link cause after the copy and paste it wasn't good.

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree he does offer more than just catching I get that cause that is the same argument I have with Bell but the difference is Bell is out top offensive weapon and Vance is down on the list. As fare as risk losing Vance I would want to re sign him at a lower price. Vance is the 15th highest paid TE with a 6.5 AAV, and people don't want to give Bell money?????

You are right we have fought this fight before and we will never agree however I think we both on on the same track we are just on different trains :hehehe: In the end I think we want the same thing and that is to see Vance here next year. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    And yet again I will say they have the money if they want it, they can sign both a S and ILB. As for signing a FA I am not just talking TE I am talking any position of need. Didn't you say we have positions of need and you can't fix them all in the draft? Well I say you don't have to you get a cheap WR or S or ILB. Christ almighty Byrd played last year for 900k and how about Patrick Robinson he was a nice player for 775k, Zach Brown @ 2.3m is another value. There are players to be had in FA who can add depth and spot starting or heck even starter material for a hell of a lot less than 4m. The way we act in FA we need to find these deals.......

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Mathieu has signed a 1 year deal with Houston.

10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    For 7 milli...

11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I thought this dummy wanted to go to a contender and city where football mattered. He didn't even pick the right team in his state. This athletes are idiots. Going to play on a 1 year deal and not even go to a true contender. Going to be hilarious when the Texans don't make the playoffs and his stock decreased.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You must be smoking pot right now. Texans were already going to be a nightmare, they just got tougher if Badger stays on the field.

This move pisses me off actually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    What? Watson is a soon to be superstar long as he stays healthy. The Texans are loaded they can definitely compete for a ring at full strength you obviously don' watch football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Houstonians love there football. HS, College, Pro. Hell the whole state of Texas loves their football.

15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I'm not sure any of Watt, Watson, or Mathieu can stay healthy... but that's a damn good team. If we can improve our Defense, I'm only worried about Houston and NE. Wondering if Pitt would have gone 1/7. Hard to think we would not have matched that...

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Don't forget the Jagoffs.....they are our daddy!!!!! :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Restructure everyone!

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Houston isn't the worst choice but not the best either if your talking about a " winning culture"... Yeah they could surprise this year but I don't know why he sacrificed some security for just a 1 year deal. Maybe the market wasn't so high for him. We and some other teams might not see him as a safety and more of a slot guy. We already have Hilton so maybe the interest from or FO wasn't as high as the fans...

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Titans have upgraded dramatically, if there QB can do more than what he has in the past they look tough as does Jville, Houston, Raiders.

20. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Agreed. It's about the Defense. If they can add FA/Draft talent up the middle, I think the Steelers are still better than those teams... but the AFC South should be a lot of fun to watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I tried to read this last night with half a bottle of wine in me. I failed.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    bummer.
    Maybe some guys just don't want to play out in the conditions on wet grass.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure why you quoted me in this :scratch:

Was just saying that Im angry that a tough team just got tougher to beat.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He is way more than a slot guy, he can do it all:

Among the league's most versatile and instinctive ball hawks when healthy, Mathieu has the potential to transform the back end of Romeo Crennel's defense. Although he started slowly last season on the heels of a disappointing 2016 performance, the 25-year-old finally regained his playmaking ability down the stretch, excelling in November and December.

Mathieu is the rare defensive back capable of playing safety and cornerback, covering top wideouts, behemoth tight ends and jitterbug running backs while also disrupting quarterbacks as a timely blitzer.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Maybe he should sit out training camp since he didn't get a multi year deal. What if he gets hurt?