1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mathieu Released

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by We need a change, Mar 14, 2018.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    There's also the possibility of restructing some of the oline men's contracts and cutting McDonald.

2. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Its funny , even mitchell liked it.
    Btw who else wants to convert contracts ??hehe

3. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Yeah, we can give signing bonus' to some players to spread out some of their money and clear some cap room this year like we've already done with Villanueva and Brown.

I wouldn't cut TE Mcdonald. I think that would clear $4.3m but when he is healthy he has outstanding hands.

But it's just not going to happen. If the Steelers were really seriously considering signing Tyrann Mathieu then Colbert and Tomlin would not be at the Oklahoma State pro day and Mathieu just wants too much money. He said no to Arizona's offer of $9m a year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Geoffrey the Giraffe is my hero. I don't wanna grow up...

Scored the last Geoffrey plush at my local Toys R Us today.

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Cutting Vance would save up 4.3m, the guy has crazy numbers over the 4.3 - 5.1 - 6.4 & 6.4! I would like to see us cut and re sign him, as for him having great hands that is debatable. I do believe "meat" and "stone" were words to describe his hands. He had a very nice game vs the Jagoffs but he did miss a bunch of games and this has been a problem with him. 14 rec 188yds and 1 td in 10 games just isn't enough for ME to justify that big of a cap hit. He has never played a full season, he has never had more that 30 rec and 391yds in a season. He is a nice weapon but on a team that has Bell, AB, Juju he is 4th best weapon and on a team that has a cap problem not worth the money imo.

Also just because he didn't want to take 9m from the Cards don't mean he won't take 9m from another team. Players get pissed over having to take a pay cut with their team and would rather leave. I am sure if it comes down to money we lose out but if he wants to come to a winning team with rich tradition we have a chance. My money is on the Giants where his former DC is.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He really didn't say no to 9mil.. he said no to taking a 3mil pay cut.... down to 9mil

Semantics but to me there is a huge difference.

Hack

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We can afford to offer $9.00 maybe. :smiley1::cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    fixed it lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    funny though is that you can never have enough weapons. I see teams blanket bell and brown so the more the merrier.

we are never going to be that "unstoppable" offense people hope for. We can be damn good though

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What makes you think Vance is going to take a pay cut? He will refuse, then the Steelers will be in search of a starting TE.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Agreed and I think that is why MB and Juju are so important, as a matter of fact look how good Coates and Wheaton were here and look what happened when they left......and now unemployed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    The fact that NOBODY wanted him when he was with the 49ers(I don't have time right now to get the link to prove that I have in the past in the Vance thread) and he had health and hand issues. I have no problem looking for another TE in this draft or FA, I would like Vance back but not at this price. Juju and MB don't make this kind of money and they are just as big of a weapon. Plus they can catch and play most of the game in a season, replacing our 4th - 5th weapon making 4-6m is a no brainer imo.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Whaa???

Im a Coates fan but he was terrible when he left, never got over his injured hands and Wheaton was never anything but average.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Before his mashed fingers he was pretty darn good........after he wasn't worth a crap

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Right but you said look what happened when they left. Leaving Pittsburgh is not why his game fell off, it was his mashed fingers.

And Wheaton never lived up to the hype.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

2016 14 games 21rec 435yds but a 42% catch rate still decent numbers for a #3/4 and comparable to what vance is putting up for pennies compared to him no?

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    We don't know that he went to the arm pit of the NFL, I am will to bet if he was to come back here he would put up ok numbers. And I disagree about Wheaton, I think either comes back as a #4 they would be ok, jmo

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Also my point was how well they played here due to Bell and AB getting doubled, not so much what they did after

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dont know where you got those numbers but he played 3 games and had 51 yards in 2016.

2015 he had 749 yards in a full season on 79 targets. Vance played 10 games with 24 targets for 188 yards. Wheaton played 4 more games and targeted 3 times as much.

Lets see what Vance can do after a full season and having some time in the system.

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Not really true, he was due to make 18.5 M this year, 13.5 salary and 5 M bonus, so if he took a 3 mill salary cut he would have made 15.5 this year with the bonus, I think he wanted to keep the 5 he was due on the bonus but did they want to cut it to? Some questions left unanswered, he was due that bonus on march 14 so thats why they had to cut him before the bonus due date???? Oh well,the texans are really interested in signing him anyway and they have 50 mill in cap space so that leaves us out....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah let's use a draft pick on a TE when they have a lot of holes to fill on defense, they already might need to draft a RB and WR.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I will have to check them out again I thought it was from pro football reference. As for Vance I get what your saying but he is still a 3rd weapon at best and no way is he better than Juju so more like 4th and 4m is way to much for him.....WAY TO MUCH!

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well the draft isn't the only place you fix things and some positions will be filled in FA. Everyone is complaining about cap space and here we are not worried about our 4m TE who can't play a full season SMH

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think with Vance the only question is health. He had almost 200 yards on just 24 targets. Imagine what he can do when he gets comfortable with the system and plays a full season.

I got a soft spot for the kid ever since he ran down that Int to save a TD, Bears game I think. I like players that hustle and have no quit.

Player like that is worth 4 mil IMO. You know he will produce if hes healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Blast don't get me wrong or misunderstand me I like Vance a lot as a matter of fact if you go back to the thread when we traded for him I was one of the few saying I liked the trade. However in no way shape or form do I want this guy at 4m. If we didn't have Bell or AB or Juju maybe but there just isn't enough balls to go around and you can't pay everyone. Yes I have voiced my opinion about wanting Bell but in all fairness Bell accounted for 30% of our offense if I am reading that stat correctly, lol.

You are right the knock on Vance is his healthy but he has a proven track record on that. I am not saying well he isn't worth it cause he "could" get hurt, heck anyone can get hurt. His hands improved as the season went on but they are still an issue but not a breaking point. Vance offers high upside but as we sit here in cap hell we have to think is he worth 4m with the production he offers and so many other weapons on this team. Hey I feel the Steelers are in the drivers seat with him, nobody wanted him last year when the 49ers were trying to trade him in the draft. We gave up like 15 spots to to get him, we didn't even have to give up a pick just spots. I think many players would like to be in this offense don't you? I feel the Steelers can redo this contract, heck ever offer incentives but Vance's cap hit needs to come down. JMO :thumbs_up: