1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mathew Thomas

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 1, 2019.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    The steelers signed all of their PS players to reserve / futures contracts on Monday except 2, Bucky Hodges and Mathew Thomas.....

After he was waived to create room on the 53 for someone else he almost didn't resign to the PS.... Was weighing his options......

There is a chance he doesn't return to the Steelers.....

Cajun

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Can't blame him for not signing he is looking for a chance and for some reason the Steelers don't want to give him one.........

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They can still sign him to a futures contract I think.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They can but the point is he said himself he almost didn't sign back last time. So the odds are not in our favor. I guess he feels he isn't being given a fair chance and who can blame him. The reason he probably wasn't signed yet is because he's exploring other options. I really like his potential but I guess they don't.

5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...contracts-and-re-sign-ot-zach-banner-nfl-news

I don't personally see the love affair with Keion Adams. I definitely think Matt Thomas was more impressive in preseason.

So this has to come down to financials, although Keion was a 7th round pick if I recall correctly. Not exactly a huge loss.

I don't get the move, but I guess the FO knows a lot more than I do about Thomas.

I've been scratching my head on why he saw 0 playing time in the regular season even in situational packages.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah but I think it is more about Thomas not wanting to sign. I think he feels he has a better chance to play elsewhere and he is probably right.......

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    When they signed him to the 53 he was given a chance.... It's on him to lock down his assignments not only on defense but also ST. If he wants a hat on Sunday's he 1st must beat out another player on ST then hopefully beat out another LB of defensive snaps.

When he was resigned back to the PS after being waived he was given another chance to show and prove his worth.

In college he took off too many plays. When he wanted to he was a very good talent at LB but it was when he wanted to. His motor is full throttle very often. That's why he went undrafted and even cleared waivers.

Maybe it's the Steelers not offering him a futures contract because he's too diva and not willing to outwork others..... Who really knows at this point..

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup, Steelers prefer that veterans be the ones that are caught out of position and making constant communication mistakes!!

They had a clear need/desire for an athletic ILB, had one on the roster, and refused to utilize him even when the veterans were stinking the joint up.

I don’t get it. Really frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    To be fair we don’t get to see him in practice. He may be stinking up the joint worse than the others?

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Come on now stop with the Tomlin "company" lines, what chance has he been given? I don't know what he has or hasn't shown in practice as you and I aren't there I am expressing my opinion based on all the hype I have read on this kid. I don't care about college and his history obviously the Steelers signed him with all that in mind so that to me has no bearing on why he isn't given a chance.

You are right maybe the Steelers haven't offered him a contract but also maybe they did....we will find out soon.

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

You are 100% correct but what we all have to remember is we are not staff we are not people with inside knowledge. We are a bunch of fans on a message board talking to other fan with opinions....so while we don't know we just use our opinions. Not just on this subjectbut others, a lot of us seem to forget where we are.......jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Word coming out of college was...All the talent in the World, but lazy and dumb as a box of rocks...

But AB was to small, not fast enough, didn't have the extra gear, coming out...lasted until the 6th...

And of course Marsha!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Wow, if they lose him I'm going to pissed.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What’s new you’re always pissed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can we drop the idea that somehow this player or that player isn't getting it in practice and this is why they aren't getting playing time. These guys like Thomas, Ola, the running back last season. These guys play themselves into the conversation and forced their way on to the 53 man roster and then because of Tomlin's habits to place more value on veteran players hemail trusts they are left to rot. Then guys come on here and start making stuff up about obviously they couldn't cut it, that they are just not that good. These guys worked their buttstock off and made the team but aren't getting a shot.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I could list a bunch of players that were in similar situations that did play their way into starting roles or decent amounts of playing time.

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Tunch and Wolfe said he didn’t know the defense.

Can’t put him on the field if he doesn’t know what he is doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Correct. We can learn if Tomlin and the other coaches were wrong by following what these players do after they go elsewhere. I bet you wouldn't find a whole lot of success among any of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yes. There were a few that worked out ( Urbik & Vrabel come to mind) but they are definitely the outliers.
    I really think people get fascinated with some of these underdogs and just can’t let it go.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Also guys like Villanueva, Foster, Chikalo and dangerfield prove those theories wrong.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Probably said the same thing about Fort until they actually let him play.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Or until he actually learned the defense?

• Like Like x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Fort has been on and off the team for a few years. I'm thinking he probably had a pretty good grasp of the D. Fort has played well all season in sub packages. It took VW being hurt to get him a start. If VW didn't get hurt Fort would still be sub package only and that's not because he didn't know the defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly.

Tomlin is better at getting PS players ready than most. If Thomas didn’t get playing time, he didn’t deserve it.

Say what you want about Tomlin’s short comings, but how he handles the PS is not one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  25. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Actually it them the realization Bostic sucked in coverage and Fort was the better option in playing pass defense. VW injury just cemented his snaps.

Cajun