1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason's Post Game Press Conference

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JKLTO, Dec 23, 2023.

1. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023

Something about his presence here...I dunno...I mean, maybe I'm intoxicated from this team's performance tonight with him at the helm - and I admit that's entirely possible - but, God damn, if Mason doesn't definitely at least look the part of a legitimate starting QB - not just in appearance, but so too in words and disposition.

I mean, listen to the dude talk and how he communicates, verbally and nonverbally. He speaks like an actual scholar of the game, which is honestly a nice change of pace. But yeah, I think Mason def has this aura about him...at least right now... where I think the dude can actually instill a sort of quiet, yet-at-the-same-time powerful confidence, almost spell-like. His current redemption arc is powerful and it should not be underestimated, as it seems clear that most of team mates have even bought into it. As such, I think Mason needs to start next game - and I fully expect that he will. Keep him on a short leash, if need be - call Kenny in if Mason stinks up the joint. But, Mason has to be the answer going forward, until he's not.

Regardless, Mitch needs to be cut. Steelers need to cut their losses on that, admit they made a mistake, and if Mason impresses for the rest of the season, extend his contract and force Kenny to meaningfully compete against him this off season and preseason. And by meaningfully, I mean, give the QB position to the guy who is objectively better at playing it, instead of - you know - automatically relegating him to QB3 for reasons.

Imo, the Steelers should spend next draft or two building a rock solid OL, starting with Center, then hopefully draft a longterm franchise QB in 2025 or 2026. Until that time, if Mason is the better QB, then they better be playing Mason. His press conference here makes me think he might just be the guy we need in the meantime.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    He appears confident in a non-arrogant manner. He does what they ask him and as far as I know, he's never complained. I don't know what the future holds for him. But I'm damn glad he got to hear the home fans chanting his name in the fourth quarter. It will be something he never forgets. And like you, I honestly hope that if he starts the next two games and plays well win, lose or draw that the Steelers give him a legitimate shot at the starting job next season.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Good for Mason Rudolph. He had a terrific performance today.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    One for one Mason!!!

Let's make it two for two!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    When Mason was drafted i had hopes he and James washington would be a force since they went to school together. WHAT HE DID TO Tomlin to be overlooked like he has been is a good question, He might not be the long term answer but so far Pickett hasnt proven he is either. the only thing i feel is mitch should lose a helmet next week ,Mason start and go into next year and see what happens. Mason has proven he deserves more snaps im rooting for the guy

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I still say Mitch was brought in to make Mason compete rather than just inherit the starting job. But, to their surprise Kenny Pickett fell in the draft. Mitch admitted he shouldn’t have signed so quickly and wasn’t told they would be drafting a QB. Mitch was gifted the job after being outplayed by both Mason and Kenny. He was only keeping the seat warm until the coaches felt Kenny was ready. Mason was dropped to 3rd, not because he played poorly, but because Mitch would be Mitch and be an easier transition to Kenny. On the other hand, the worst position to be in would have been the first starter to follow Ben. IMO Kenny has been given more leeway than most starters. Mason should finish out the season. Bottom line, Mason was never given a fair shot in the “open” QB competition in 2022.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    Interesting take on why Mitch was brought it - it would make sense, given the timeline, and would also explain a lot. I think even Dwayne Haskins untimely death also changed the original dynamic, though to what extent or if in any meaningful way, is anyone's guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Mason appears to be a really good guy and I’m genuinely happy for him. He should start next week

The Mason we saw yesterday made mostly very good decisions and executed well for the most part, he seems to be much more composed in the pocket and better able to read the defence. He will never be a high level starter but if he can come in and manage a game like he did yesterday he will have a long career in the league earning decent money.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snake

Snake Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2023
    What ever happened yesterday, it was like the leg irons were taken off the team. There was a major spark that shot threw the whole gang. It was like they were young kids again that spark ran right threw the whole defense and the fans too. And how about those guys coming off the bench filling in for the wounded. No matter what happens our guys had their moment last night. What a boost for the team, the fans and Especially Mason !

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Hopefully he will finally get his starter contract and his SB window that they should had given him 3 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I've said it since Ben retired that every year mason had gotten better and his foot work in the pocket had gotten a million times better. There was absolutely no reason to get trubisky he was a clown then and is a ring leader now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015

Mason's understanding of the game and how to approach it is exceptional. He enjoys the opportunity to 'spread the ball among so many playmakers.' I am so glad you started this post. I wondered if others would pick up on his articulate and insightful comprehension towards a truly professional mindset of a quarterback. It's possible that his coaches don't recognize just how gifted he is and that is why he rides the pine. Who knows. One thing I do believe is that his demeanor represents a tremendous emotionally mature football player and that is remarkable considering the treatment he has received from this organization.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’d love it if the Steelers extend Rudolph and I think (hope) they’ll want to. But even though Rudolph is being very classy and saying all the right things, will he even want to re-sign with the Steelers if there are other options on the table given the way they’ve mismanaged his career and done everything in their power NOT to let him play quarterback? That includes signing Trubisky and drafting Pickett and they have both largely disappointed. I’d love to see Rudolph back but don’t expect it to happen. There’s a much better shot that Trubisky will once again be Pickett’s backup next year than Rudolph.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This seems pretty accurate. If we have seen anything this year in the league, having a reliable back-up is paramount, especially if you have a decent team and need someone to keep things afloat for a few games when the starter is out. I do not think one game will necessarily make GM's rush to his agent, but even if this is all they have to look at certainly should get some action. Lot of back ups have banked enough to live pretty well long after they leave the league.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Trubisky should be cut immediately after the season, we know what he is and he isn’t going to get any better.

Bring Mason Rudolph back on a modest two year deal, telling him that he will get a genuine opportunity to compete for the starting job in camp. Presumably there will be a whole new offensive coaching staff, let everyone play for their spot, including Kenny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    What really impressed was the short and intermediate stuff, he was always able to throw a good bomb down the sideline. That first throw to Pickens for example, that would have sailed over the receivers head a few years ago.

I really hope he starts next week so that we can see if this wasn’t a fluke

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Breath of fresh air watching Mason last night. He also has been a class act with his time as a Steeler.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm happy for the kid. It's about time he got another shot. Dude balled out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This QB group is the worst in football. KP had no business being drafted in the 1st round, period. Same for Trubisky. The guy is hot garbage and needs to go. MR was never going to be anything other than a backup. The play from the other guys has been so terrible that MR goes in and has one decent game and you guys are ready to crown him the heir to Ben. News flash, MR has already had that chance and shown he isn't that guy - several chances at that and failed. Let's not forget about Duck Hodges starting over MR.

The steelers have just not been good at scouting, drafting/signing, developing QB talent outside of 2 HOF'ers in the past 45 years. We could fill up an entire thread with the shid decisions at QB the steelers have made.

Make no doubt about it, MR is not a starting caliber QB in the NFL. 1 game against the epically underachieving bungholes doesn't change that. The woefully bad QB play since Ben left has created desperation for the fan base. Sad.

20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Knox, enjoy it, brother. We scored 34 freaking points last night!!! We had a QB who threw for nearly 300 yards and 2 TDs! Absolutely incredible!! He unlocked the mystery of how to utilize our best weapon on offense! Not saying Mason is the second coming of Bradshaw or Ben, but we actually looked like a competent offense under his field leadership. That may come crashing down next week, but let’s enjoy a little Rudolph this Christmas season. Merry Christmas, my friend!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    You're right. It was a good win and a nice Christmas miracle! I am happy for MR, just gun shy.

Merry Christmas, Jack!

• Like Like x 4
  22. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Nobody is crowning him. He had a good game and fans are happy for him. Any sensible fan knows that his ceiling is as a backup or spot starter, but it’s good to see that he can come in and make some plays if needed.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    How many on this board were saying this exact thing about Mason 2 days ago? I've always like MR and thought he never got a fair shot. Hope he can remain our starter to finish the season. However, one game doesn't change everything about someone, but its a good start. JMO>

24. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree with that. I'm disappointed that the QB play since Ben retired has been so dismal that we as fans are so desperate that we grab on to any meaningless sliver of hope. The standard is at an all time low. It is sad AF. Sorry, but I'm fresh out of hope for this team until Tomlin is shown the door.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes we would need to see more from Mason and yesterday doesn’t change much. Maybe it was a fluke.

We have however seen plenty from Mitch, and he is not worth keeping around IMO. He is only earning $3m next season so maybe they keep him but he should be an emergency option only at this point. The offence can’t move the ball when he is in the game, even against bad teams.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1