1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolph?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Mr.HammerZz, Mar 29, 2018.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I know you've been around the game too long only to rely on college stats.

There's more to the comparison than simply stats and the fact they both came from the big 12.

2. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes, Landry put up up big stats at Okie. So did Jason White and so did Baker Mayfield.

You just can't compare stats of guys who went to the same school or conference.

Luke Falk and Sam Darnold both play in the pac 12. Falk put up bigger numbers. Is he better?

Peyton Manning couldn't win a championship at Tennessee. Tee Martin did. Is Martin better than Manning?

3. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    No. But it probably helps keeping this team as a playoff threat for the next 10 years.

Our team is relatively young with an old QB.

However, on the current roster, if you remove that QB, the team will fall apart.

Ensure there is a quality QB as a backup and you have nothing to worry about. Anyone watch the Eagles in the playoffs?

Our roster is good enough right now to win a SB. Just need better coaching and execution.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Your the one that said this.
    Rudolph is way ahead of where Landry was coming out of college.

So coming out of college should mean college stats come into play, two big 12 pocket passers I feel that who had the most TDs is a fair comparison, they both had good college careers landry just didnt get drafted higher because of some knocks on his mobility......

5. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh, and the guy who made the Christian Ponder comparison is Lance Zierlein. His father couldn't even forward a racey email to a friend without sending it to Roger Goodell. :roflmao:

All kidding aside, Lance is more in the know than I am. I'm not going to pretend that I know more than he does. But there's alot of other people who do think Rudolph is a franchise QB, and only because this is such a strong class is he not being talked about as a Top 5 pick.

I'll take Rudolph all day over Trubisky from last year.

As I previously mentioned, Nick Hardwick says Rudolph reminds him so much of Phillip Rivers. Hardwick said he would take Rudolph over Mayfield and Allen any day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    That's not the point I was making at all. Although yes, all of that does count.

Stats are a piece to the puzzle. But there's alot more to it than that. See my other posts comparing other QBs in the big 12 and pac 12.

The biggest statistical difference between Rudolph and Landry was Landry had a 7 yards/attempt. Rudolph is in the 9-10 range. Big difference. Remember how good Bens y/a was when he came to the league. Rudolph threw alot fewer INTs than Landry too.

Landry's game lay is closer to Luke Falk than it is Mason Rudolph.

Other than stats, you have to look at mechanics, QB IQ, passion, willingness to get improve and overall "moxie".

Based on his play and everything I've read about Rudolph tells me he will be a franchise QB. He just happens to be in the best QB class easily since 2004.

7. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    When it comes to how good college QB's will be in the NFL, it's a roll of the dice, but I think the biggest factor is TD to interception ratio.

If you compare Tom Brady's NFL stats with Ben Roethlisbergers, Ben beats Tom in almost all categories but Brady has a much better TD to interception ratio and that comes down to decision making. Interceptions kill you. These guys have to make good decisions with the football.

I like Mason Rudolph but we can't get him in the 3rd round and I think we need to use our 1st and 2nd picks on an ILB and a Safety.

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow the way you gush about him he should go number 1. If the QB class is so great there will clearly be teams like Buffalo,Miami,Arizona that should be tripping over themselves to draft Rudolph . I guess I shouldn't really worry about him getting to us at 28 then.....:smiley1:

9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I would say it's less than 50% chance he actually makes it to #28.

It's a strong QB class and there's alot of QB needy teams. As I have said, I think 6 QBs go in th 1st round.

I do have Rudolph as the #3 QB in this draft.

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You could very well end up being right. I'm just gonna be bull headed about any QB that can realistically make it to us because I wanna build around Ben and whatever he has left in him. Like I said I'm willing to go through a few lean years trying to fill in our current weaknesses. Franchise QB is the hardest position and most important to fill. We have one now I think it serves us best to take advantage of it while we can...

11. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    I'm just saying I got a funny feeling about him like #7 gave me, no guarantees but man that would be cool! Great things come in 3's! ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Mason Ruldolph is overrated eh?

Does not seem that way to me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I now believe he could be in play. I am not a big 12 fan, they play no defense in that league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Legitimate concern.

Not many great Big 12 QBs in the NFL.

I do think Rudolph is different though.

15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, he was different all right! What's not to like about Rudolph? I mean if it weren't for him stepping up that foggy Christmas Eve a few years back, a lot of kids wouldn't have had Christmas that year. :shrug:

Okay, that was bad. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Anybody concerned he's never taken a snap under center?

17. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Not in today's NFL.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Today's NFL is more spread based anyways. One of the positives of the current NFL "Track Meet" mentality is that Quarterbacks who play in spread offenses can learn and possibly come in just as efficient as pro style Quarterbacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd take Rudolph and let this OC have him compared to Rudolph with Haley. When Colbert said we would wait until the draft is over to decide about Ben's extension, it's making me wonder what they know and how they think Ben will keep aging and playing. It could very well be time to pull the trigger and start the grooming process under our new OC. Maybe it's two maybe it's three years away but maybe not. :shrug::cool:i

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    While some fans may draw the conclusion the team is looking for Roethlisberger’s successor in the upcoming 2018 NFL Draft, it doesn’t necessarily mean that. It also doesn’t mean the team isn’t going to be targeting a quarterback at some point during this year’s selection process, but keep in mind Colbert realizes the player won’t have to be a high profile player to be the next “guy”.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...rger-like-the-49ers-and-packers-did-nfl-draft

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    SCNB I am not questioning his ability, just what type of defenses has he put up these great numbers against.
    The only team in the big 12 that plays any kind of defense is TCU and even they have slipped. He would have a learning curve
    if drafted by the Steelers or for that matter any other NFL team, and we just happen to have a pretty good Vet QB he
    could learn behind for the next two years;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Dolphins thought Tannehill was different too that's why they reached for him with their number eight 1 pick, another big 12 QB flop...........

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Not sure if this was mentioned. I think they like Rudolph because he is mobile and I think they want to implement RPOs in the offense. He can throw the crossing route accurately, had a high percentage caught deep and Is Big enough to take a hit. All things needed to run an RPO offense in the NFL. Ben is now less mobile and more susceptible to injury due to age. Not to mention he likes to hold onto the ball. He plays a different type of game.

If Ben goes down we’re screwed.

24. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    If LVE and Evans are both gone, I can see the Steelers taking him.