1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolph resigning with Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, May 15, 2023.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Ben was told not to play back yard street ball and then when he had no other choice he did that on his own.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Right. We need to search AROUND the world beforehand

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    How can you say that? It has been mentioned that there was not a fair preseason competition for Rudolph last year. LOL

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Dear of dear, Rudolph just found out what the rest of the league thought of him, turns out it was exactly the same as what The Steelers thought almost immediately after drafting him.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What is your criteria for a deep throw?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Yeah, I had to reread this

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He didn't just say he can only control what he can. He went out of his way to make it clear he was not happy with the coaching staff/front office. I know some people are desperate to justify their odd affection for Rudolph, but at least be honest about what he said.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Ignore the whole thing. I assume he was joking, mostly because I don't think anybody is dumb enough to think that is actually a good idea.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    People have stated that opinion, but that doesn't make it fact. That would be like saying the competition between Najee Harris and Bennie Snell for the starting running back job was unfair. Anybody who paid attention to the offseason knew the Steelers had given up on Rudolph as a potential starter. I'm not even sure he makes the team if Haskins hadn't been killed. They signed a free agent with a much better resume and spent a first-round pick on a quarterback. I really don't understand the love for Rudolph. He isn't good. Do you really think he would have re-signed with the Steelers if any other team in the league was even going to offer him a No. 2 job? Of course not.

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    As much as Mason is hated I think the guy can be a solid enough back up, not gonna be a reason you win not gonna be a reason you lose.

He can carry you at .500, look up stats and starts his numbers are pretty compared to Charlie Batch back up numbers.

But of course Charlie is regarded as the best back up ever by most...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If you look at pre-season last year Mason was maybe the most solid performer the whole pre-season, but he had no legit chance to win the starting job everyone knew that.

I think most Steelers fans hate Mason because he made the team and himself look weak against the Browns. Which was a road Thursday night game, playing with 3rd-5th string WRs against the Browns.
    If he never got his face smashed by Garrett, I don't think Steelers fans would hate him with the passion they do.

But look inferior to Cleveland... well the fan base is just gonna hate you forever...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Let Kenny get through at least 1 season without going into the NFL's Concussion Protocol after a game, before you trade or release the team's 3rd string QB.

I hope they keep all 3 QBs again on the team's 53-Man roster.

Right now, Kenny's concussion average is higher than Tua's.

13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    IDK how many games he had to come on for Ben, but I think his record for starts was 6-3. also remember several seasons where we had another 2 and he was 3. The thing with CB was he matured and adapted well. I know guys want to compete and think they are starters, and honestly you want that competitive mindset, but if they realize they can still make millions over a career by just keeping in shape, humbling themselves and take on a mentor role..and finish a career in 10 to 14 years with their body still fully functioning they should reach for that goal, lol. Make a home in the community, do your charitable stuff, then retire and get a good paying local broadcast gig. Damn I should have had that dream when I played flag football, lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I saw a button

Just thought I would push it

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  15. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Not many 3rd QB's I'd rather have.

That being said, I'd rather our 3rd QB be a developmental guy with some tools. We don't know what's gonna happen with KFP. A lot of QB's have had a decent start and regressed or never progressed.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Batch was part of a Super Bowl championship team, starting two games they won. A loss in even one of those would have kept them out of the playoffs. Given all that, the romanticism of his time as a Steeler makes some sense.

Rudolph in his prime was somewhat comparable to a washed-up Batch. That isn't exactly a great sales pitch.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed, but I just don't see anybody like that available, so they might as well go with the best veteran No. 3 they can find.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The fans that hate him do because of his poor play, and he really sucked that night against the Browns.

People need to stop with the foolishness about the 2022 preseason. He was playing almost exclusively against guys who were a week or two away from moving on with their life's work. He was a veteran going against scrubs. He should tear them up, but even with that advantage, Trubisky and Pickett both had better numbers than Rudolph.

19. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    That is exactly what Tomlin said when asked about a good 4th quarter that Rudolph had in a pre-season game last year. He said that Rudolph was varsity going against JV's and that he should be the best player on the field.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What a waste of roster space.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL :shrug: He was also playing with as many scrubs as He was playing against scrubs. You fail always in mentioning that.:shrug:
    I know one player that would love for Him to be the number 2 Qb. DJ.
    Also You fail to mention as a Steeler (not before the Steelers) His play blows Trubiskys away.
    It's funny some of You are so stubborn You rather be right than bright. LoL.
    Trubisky as a Steeler... more ints than tds, a losing record, and 15th highest cap hit. Rudolph winning record as a Steeler.....more tds than ints. Only someone stubborn would rather have Trubisky.
    Now I will have to hear about what He did in Chicago.....like it matters in Pittsburgh.
    You think the Raiders care what Jimmy G did in the 49er if He has a losing record, and more ints than tds for them????

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

What are they going to do? They're backed into a corner at the moment due to an unforeseen circumstance.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    See Hanratty's post. Rudolph should be able to light up a bunch of guys who wouldn't even make it to the regular-season roster regardless of who was on the field with him. Here is the thing you don't like. He still had the worst numbers of the three quarterbacks last preseason. It wasn't by a lot, but he completed a lower percentage of his passes for fewer yards per attempt. Trubisky matched him in touchdowns and Pickett threw one more than either of them. None of them threw any interceptions, but that wasn't for lack of Rudolph trying.

I don't mention a comparison of Trubisky's numbers as a Steeler to Rudolph's because I reject your ridiculous premise that it is worthwhile information. It is their entire pro resume that matters, but you don't want to hear that because it doesn't fit your chosen narrative. When evaluating a player, you take everything into account. To do otherwise is just stupid. The only reason not to do so is if the player was old enough that age is a factor, but Trubisky is still only 28. I don't think he has any great upside, but he isn't old enough for his physical skills to be declining just yet.

There is one more thing that needs to be included when comparing them. Mitchell Trubisky was never benched for Duck ****ing Hodges.

Anybody who knows what they are doing when evaluating Garoppolo after this season would look at his entire career, not just one season with the Raiders.

Tomlin would rather have Trubisky. We saw that last preseason. Khan would rather have Trubisky. We saw that in that he didn't bother to sign Rudolph until the pool of free agent quarterbacks was dried up. Colbert would rather have Trubisky. We saw that in the many moves he made last offseason to ensure Rudolph wasn't the Steelers' starter. The entire NFL would rather not have Rudolph. We learned that last bit this offseason when no other team wanted him as its backup, much less a starter.

I am quite stubborn when I am right, as I am in this case. Rudolph wasn't robbed of anything this past season. He isn't owed any more opportunities. He was the worst quarterback on the team and he got the lack of playing time he was due. He is actually a good signing as No. 3, but that's about it.

Don't get me wrong. If some team is stupid enough to give up a Day 2 pick next year, I would rather have Rudolph, a pick in the third or fourth round, and more cap space than Trubisky and none of those things, but I'm not sure they want to roll those dice after seeing how poorly that can play out in 2019.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Mason would be one of the better #3 QBs in the league, the 49ers in the playoffs had to turn to Josh Johnson :rolleyes:.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Did they not grab him off another teams PS? To lazy to look it up, all of this hankering over a 3rd string QB is enough to put me to sleep.

• Agree Agree x 1