1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolph Is What He Is

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Aug 14, 2022.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I like Mason Rudolph and I'm rooting for him. He doesn't b!tch, does what he's told and doesn't cause problems. I get that none of that improves his play or his talent level. Someone pointed out on The Fan here in Pittsburgh that Rudolph may be a better QB now, but he's not really a fit for Canada's system like Pickett or Mitch. That's fair enough. However, the booing by the Yinzers was completely uncalled for. He got lit up because Dan Moore missed a block. Bottom line for me, if he stays with the Steelers, I hope he plays well. If he moves on, I will wish him the best as long as he's not playing the Steelers.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    At the beginning of this thread people were talking how nice it was when Mason’s balls go deep. Against backups. All I can think about is when he played against San Francisco in 2019. The defense picked up something like 5 turnovers and he couldn’t even throw it past the line to gain. Then I think about tying Detroit.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wait ......What....
    Mayfield, and Darnold are both on their second team...with each other....does Rosen even belong in the NFL anymore.....Lamar was a flash in the pan....so that only leaves You with Allen....who I'm not completely sold on.....So....how was that a strong Qb class, or are You just joking????:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph was the only one throwing the ball right to defenders Saturday night and he did it multiple times. He missed open receivers. Neither Trubisky nor Pickett did that. Both Pickett and Trubisky showed more mobility. Also, it's funny how the Rudolph apologists want to put his fumble on the offensive line, but Pickett getting sacked twice is on the quarterback? Yeah, that's a load of crap. He had absolutely no chance on the fourth-down play. It was a designed roll right to an unblocked defender. At least he had the sense to protect the ball.

Yes, it is absolutely fair to say Rudolph was the worst of the Steelers' three quarterbacks in that game, which is telling given that he is the one with the most experience in that offense.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    It was perceived as a strong class ahead of time, which of course means nothing once the pads go on. Like you said, only one of those guys has established himself as the future of the franchise that drafted them so far and only 2 even have a chance at this point. That is why I felt like I was taking crazy pills any time I saw people saying we should wait until 2023 to draft a QB because the class is supposed to be good. It is as though no one remembered the hype about 2018.

• Like Like x 1
  6. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Rudolph's accuracy, arm strength, and decision making are all subpar. I'm not even sure he's a serviceable backup. He had trouble holding off Duck Hodges, for pete's sake. He's basically been supplanted here by a guy that was a backup last year and that no team wanted to sign as a starter the year before. Let me put it this way. If you gave me the choice between Rudolph and Gardner Minshew, I'd take Minshew in a second. Make no mistake about it, Minshew is nothing more than a NFL backup.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

kenny played ben ball, which everybody hated when ben did it. :cool:

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    why wouldn't you want to keep a QB around that does know the playbook better than the next guy? pickett of course ran this offense in college so he does know it as well as mason. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    This is what I've been saying all along. He looks great in practice, but put him in a real game, and he's too inconsistent. I've seen him in person at training camp two different seasons (including two days this year), and yeah, he looks really good in practice, and reporters keep saying how he's a contender for the job, but real game pressure against a real opponent doesn't exactly tell the same story.

10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Agree on darnold but do you think Mayfield is not a good qb? Sure he hasn't lived up to the hype and draft pick. 1 word for that: browns. I'm not a fan of the guy, but he has a lot to prove and I expect him to be better in a better situation. Lamar is a flash in the pan? Dude that is some good stuff you're smoking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s linked in my post. (Answering for your friends)

• Like Like x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Trade rumors are what they are, rumors. Hopefully if they trade him they can fetch a 3rd but a 4th should not be out of the question. I don't care where he goes. Or hold on to him with clipboard in hand and trade him when the time is right during the season.

13. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Mitch and Mason are game managers. Mason doesn't take care of the ball. He's not good enough to win games with his talent and he turns the ball over so he's not a good game manager. He'll be traded by week 1. Mitch at least has shown to be good enough to not kill you. Will be interesting to see if he can do more than just play dink and dunk ball in our offense. I have no doubt that our game plans will be brutally conservative and it will drive the fan base insane.

The only QB we have on our staff that has the potential to win games with his arm is Pickett. Mitch is a solid game manager and that's why he's here. As soon as Pickett can be trusted to not turn the ball over he'll be starting. Or when Mitch gets hurt which I think will happen given his willingness to run and our O-line.

There's going to be some capable back up QB's cut by week one. We could easily cut or trade Mason and replace him with a player with upside. If Mason is ever the starter it means our QB situation became a disaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Poor old Mason he just doesn't have the arm strength or the quick decision making to make up for it .I wish him the best but he needs to be on a Power running Team and to use play action most of the time ..He does have a good deep ball so in the exact right scheme he may could get the job done ..The scheme we have is all wrong for him..

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Rudolph would make a great backup for a QB who never comes out of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ok....Agree 2 disagree....I actually thought Mason was a better Qb than Mayfield in college...only Mayfield was on a way better team.....I watch a $hit ton of college football , and watch almost all their games....,and yes Lamar will show that He was a flash in the pan...a one season hit......only one thing in the history of Qb has shown longevity, and that is the ability 2 read, recognize , and react 2 what they see, and still....He doesn't see the field......how many of these Qbs must I be right about????
    I said Cam ,Darnold, and Goff just 2 name a few, and everyone laughed at me....I don't see those people laughing now....No ....now they act like they thought they weren't good back then....instead of laughing at me when I said it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Well I guess all I can tell you is, what's the use of having dreams if they can't be crushed?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I have no problem with them keeping Rudolph as a backup. I think that's exactly what they should do unless they get a great trade offer. I just realized he is not good enough to be a starting quarterback in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Rumors that Steelers may trade Rudolph to the Lions.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

well he has a winning record in the NFL, so yes he is good enough to start in the NFL and do it against NFL starting defenses. he however may not be a guy you will build a franchise around or a franchise QB, but make no mistake the kid can play and win you some games. i would rather have him over Oladokun if it cam down to it in the middle of the season. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is exactly what I've been trying 2 say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Risk reward. What happened the season they went all the way down to 3rd string is not a common occurrence. I would absolutely take a draft pick if someone wanted to take Rudolph off our hands.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That one almost intercepted, Kozora on Depot was trying to say the receiver stopped the route. Doesn't pass the sniff test to me though, I think that ball was supposed to be out when the receiver was wide open and he sat down iin the big ass hole in the zone, Mason missed him there and just threw to a spot.

24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Booing fans make me sick. There's no reason for it and just shows the people as Neanderthals.

Support the players on your team. If they can't cut the mustard than they are cut from the team and wish them well. At the end of the day, these are all people with most having families where their kids will take the brunt of the criticism.

Show class Pittsburgh!

• Agree Agree x 4
  25. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    its good to see the underdog succeed, but Mason is limited athletically. Agreed he doesn't seem to have that eyes in the back of his head sense and too often his short and intermediate passes are really off (from pressure maybe). i think these next two games will decide his fate in the black and gold. I would guess he either win's the interim starter spot or is traded. I wouldn't be so sure of Trubisky in the regular season though, he has a history of inconsistency and sounds like Tomlin and co and expecting Pickett to 'advance' sooner rather than later.

• Like Like x 1