1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolph - Every Play and Pass Chart

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by KMM, Sep 23, 2019.

1. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I'm assuming that at OSU he played exclusively out of shotgun, right?

Just asking cause there was only one play yesterday that he didn't throw out of shotgun.

2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I get a kick out of the continued disrespect and miscalculation of Ben's importance for this team but whatever.

Some people still can't see it even with there being a clear example.

Yes this is what the offense looks like without Ben. Despite the opinion of many, Hall of Fame QBs don't grow on trees.

Does Mason have what it takes to be a QB in this league? He's shown some flashes. Ultimately I think he had an unusually bad game. The playcalling was OK for a first time starter. I feel they could have taken more shots down the field though.

I have confidence Mason will be an OK QB, but the days of HOF Qb play are gone with Ben.

Hopefully it won't be like the pre-Ben era. People take for granted what they have.

It's clear Ben made Antonio and Le'veon better not the other way around

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't believe the Steelers were going to draft a QB in the first round even had they kept their pick and Mason performed terribly the rest of this season because I think the Steelers believe Ben will be back and be the starter. Maybe they are crazy but I'm pretty sure that's what they think. They are going to ride this thing out until 2021 and then blow it up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Neither is Ben as we saw. What qb can carry that kind of team?:cool:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes.. they had a stat with Ben.. he led the league is passes behind or st the LOS. That's scheme... why are your receivers not even headed 3 yards downfield. That's why Pitt lives in 3rd and long.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    The offense looked just as bad if not worse with Ben out there. Both guys got about 6 quarters.

Ben: 56.5% completion, 5.7 AVG, 0 TDs 1 INT, QBR 20.8, Rating 66
    Mason: 56.5% completion, 6.2 AVG, 4 TDs, 2 INT, QBR 19.5, Rating 86

Not a lot to pick from there but if anything Mason has the better numbers. The offense is garbage right now and it isn't just on the young kid who just started his first game (not that you were saying it was).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The difference is Ben was probably playing hurt. Regardless, the six quarters with Ben were definitely atypical of his career and even of last year. Mason? who knows? This may be his real level.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    He played very well considering the poor play of the offensive line. So far he is better than Ben's first two game actions.
    upload_2019-9-23_17-14-28.png

• Like Like x 3
  9. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    Was the offensive line giving him time? No!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    See my post above. 2nd one above. You are correct.

11. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Why even waste energy comparing or talking about Ben??? He's done for the entire year. End of discussion. Move on. We've got Mason. Give the kid a freaking chance.

Our issue is coaching. We have way too many talented players on the field to be this bad. Want to point fingers --- coaching.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    You can explain it however you like but regardless of the explanation the offense looked no better this year under Ben than it has under Mason, and it might even have been worse. Anyone thinking putting in a guy who never played before was going to solve all the problems with the offense was crazy. People need to relax and practice some patience. If Mason looks no better by the end of the year we can freak out about him then.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    This is why the Steelers lost and it was not Rudolph's performance. It was the p i s s poor offensive line play and the chic sht game plan by Randy Fichtner and Mike Tomlin, not to mention a defense that cannot stop the other team in crunch time.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-steelers-coaches-live-in-their-fears-with-game-plan/

"It always was going to be hard when Rudolph assumed the helm. He’s done nothing in his six quarters of NFL football to make anyone believe he can’t grow into the job. The Steelers’ gameplan, understandably, is designed to protect him. But there’s a fine line between protecting Rudolph and living in your fears."
    "The Steelers got two first-quarter turnovers in 49ers territory. Conventional wisdom says you take a shot at the end zone while the other team is reeling. The Steelers didn’t."
    "It’s the first quarter. You’ve got to take shots. Have faith in Rudolph, because right now you’ve got no choice. Rudolph didn’t look scared. He seemed anything but. But the coaches were scared on his behalf, and that did damage."

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...offensive-line-shaun-sarrett-maurkice-pouncey

"Whether it be age or coaching, something isn’t clicking with the big boys upfront on offense."

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    It's extra bad because from what I saw of him in college the thing Mason was best at was taking deep shots.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Atypical? .....Ben is notorious for slow starts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    A comparison of Mason to Ben's performances on the west coast would probably make Mason look OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    It really does not matter who the Quarterback is at this point given the suspect Offensive Line play. Namely the two tackles in Matt Feiler and Alejandro Villanueva. Big Al in particular has not been very good since the beginning of the season. Something is not right there as speed rushers are permeating both of them.

That being said, too early to write off Mason. Yes, he made some seriously bad throws. That to me has to do more so with the case of the early jitters than anything. He settled down as the game wore on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    We are in a Mason Rudolph era, his Superbowl window. It's a long haul. Many seasons. The duration of his contract, which is 4 years, three more season including this one. That's when we evaluate him. If he proves to consistently give us a chance to win it all, which is the point, he'll get a fat contract. Otherwise, they'll get someone else. But not after one game, the first game of the window, which just started yesterday! It's a long haul, and the chance at Superbowl is the prize.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013

True they don't grow on trees as evident by the fact that most teams don't have a HOF QB. However, most teams design plays around their QBs strengths and give them every chances to succeed. Our coaches can never seem to do that. All day our OL was being punished by the 49ers D. What play does Fichtner call? Send Snell wide and let Mason scramble for his life.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He only got sacked twice, on SNR Hilgrove and those guys said he was holding the ball too long.

21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah it was a knee jerk reaction from me lol

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Neither does Ben, except for audibles :shrug:

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What makes that clear exactly?

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Coaching staff is gutless. They did the same thing to Dobbs last year against the Raiders.

Tomlin should practice what he preaches and stop living in his fears. Let the kid play.

And maybe if the line blocked somebody, that would help.

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :shrug: