1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolph - Every Play and Pass Chart

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by KMM, Sep 23, 2019.

1. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    My two cents here is that MR did not have a good game and those that say he looked fine aren't being objective. It's his first start, he'll improve, but there's a lot of room for improvement here. I said it a couple of times yesterday but he's going to get his receivers killed if he keeps missing high.

Here is the video of every play by MR.

Here is is pass chart:

[​IMG]

That pass chart is just horrendous. That's no way to win a game in the NFL and that's how you get 5 TO's but only score 20 pts. He was 2-13 with 2 TD and 1 INT for passes more than 2 yds past the LOS. When you then watch the highlights and key on those incompletions they were generally thrown too high or too late. MR had one great throw, the TD to JuJu on the numbers and in stride, one good throw to DJ for a TD (the throw itself was nothing special as the guy was wide open, but I'll give MR credit for looking right then coming back left to find him), and one throw deep down the sideline which was incomplete, but was more about showing he could throw deep than actually completing it so he gets a pass for that one. Otherwise, anything down the field was pretty bad.

Of the incompletions, 4 were thrown high, and 3 incompletes that were just not well thrown. (I didn't count the ones he threw as he was being hit, the one he threw away under pressure, or the last throw on 4th and 21 which he was just throwing it to throw it.) I looked at all the passes and of those that were short completions came away with 4 check downs. Most of these I think came from slow decision making. He was either just a split second late on pulling the trigger resulting in him trying to throw something over a defender or going to his check down instead. The glaring one to me was the deep out at around the 1:43 in the video. The ball was delivered late as JuJu (I think) was open coming out of the break, but the ball wasn't there. He's gotta become more decisive which you would hope comes with more playing time and confidence, but I'm not going to lie. It's concerning especially for a guy that has had the benefit of first team reps every Wednesday for over a year.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He talks the talk but he’s more mariota than manning. Dude believed his own hype lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Every pro athlete believes their own hype or they wouldn't be where they are. You gotta have confidence to play in the pros. The last thing you want is a QB that has no confidence in himself. It's been 1 game, give him some time before writing him off.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Well he did play at Oklahoma State, and there hasnt been any good players drafted from there in a long time , Dez was the last and he was not great, imo

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    “ Ward ,I think you were a little hard on the beaver...
    So was Eddie Haskell, Wally and Ms. Cleaver”——————B Rabbit.....

6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I know... just bummed right now lol. I don’t drink so I don’t know what else to do

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    And the lack of arm strength was noticeable too. Especially when he can't set and throw. If he doesn't have a clean pocket to set and drive the ball, there's not much on it and it's not very accurate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I kind of expected the negative response to Rudolph’s performance, not because it was bad, but because people seemed to be expecting a massive turnaround in the teams performance in one game. Against a good team.

Maybe Rudolph doesn’t pan out, but like you say, no sense writing him off after one game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The best RB of all time played for Oklahoma State.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The veteran offensive line that is supposed to be the best pass blocking line in the league, did not do their job. The kid had no time at all. Too many pictures of pouncey, foster, AV and fieler turning and watching their man punish this kid. Same in the run game.

The wrs were running deep routes when the qb had no time, the line was not blocking, the defense was in shambles. That's why we lost and he looked bad. They had eight men in the box on 3rd and 3 and we ran the ball. What? WHat? This running wide, slow forming run plays with the rush eating up your line is just stupid, but we do what we do. This is coaching not the kid playing bad.:cool:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    agreed and how long ago was it when he was drafted.... i was saying it has been along time since any good players came out of 0SU

12. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    It would be interesting to see the first 2 games with Ben I would be willing to bet they look pretty much the same

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, that's what I've been saying. A declining Roethlisberger is no better than an inexperienced Rudolph. Steelers would be 0-3 regardless of who is at QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Jim Brown went to Syracuse, not Oklahoma State. But yeah, that Sanders guy was amazing, too.

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm not going to blame Rudolph. Play calling and o-line has regressed. No running game. Ben looked about the same throwing to his two buddies, Moncrief and Switz.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I'd take Sanders over Brown anyday.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt that. We didn't see declining Roethlisberger in that first half against Seattle. We saw an injured quarterback who probably shouldn't have played at all.

I think the offense would have done more in the first half with Roethlisberger and that probably would have gotten them a victory. If healthy, he is much better than Rudolph right now. It's not close. I know quite a few people on this board fooled themselves into thinking otherwise this past week, but the Roethlisberger injury is devastating to this team.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Well if Ben was so great... what the hell happened last year? Roethlisberger deserves a lot of blame for that losing streak and missing the playoffs. Too many INTs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He was a big part of why that team had a shot at the playoffs until the final moments of that Browns-Ravens game. He often carried the team. Also, I'm not just talking about his play. Rudolph isn't ready and it showed yesterday. The coaches don't trust him nearly as much as they said they do, either. You can see that in the play-calling.

Roethlisberger would have given this team a puncher's chance at a .500 record. Instead they are going to bottom out, winning six or fewer games, unless Rudolph somehow develops very quickly. He couldn't handle throwing under pressure yesterday, something Roethlisberger has always done as well as anybody in the game. That alone is a big problem.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben is going to be 38 if/when he plays next year. His body is probably that of a 45 year old from the BA days. Ben doesn't take care of himself in the off season. He doesn't even really throw the ball. Those pinning this teams future success on Ben are going to be very disappointed. Not many pro athletes have success at 38, especially once they start getting injured without any contact.

I highly doubt Ben is going to have anything left. Our future is in the hands of Rudolph, whether he's the answer or not remains to be seen, but he is the future until he shows he can't cut it. Ben is not the answer.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Simpelton

Simpelton Member

Sep 20, 2019
    I don't think going back to Ben is an option. Even odds he never even gets back on the field. It is really, really tough for a player as old as Roethlisberger to recover fully from that kind of surgery and get back to playing shape. It's going to be hard enough for a 39 year old to even get back into playing weight after months of forced inactivity, much less get his arm strength back.

You guys are kind of forced to get behind Rudolph for the moment. If he can't hack it you need to draft a new guy -- but that puts you at square 1 so taking your lumps with Rudolph is probably the best way forwart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The only 2 passes that Mason completed past the line of scrimmage were the 2 TD passes, that's not good. They might need to get Holton some more snaps, take some shots down the field, teams are stacking the box daring them to throw.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    do you think he's calling his own plays? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. D4H

D4H Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2019
    For a guy who is big and tall, Rudolph does have a very weak arm. Everyone assumes because he's big and he aired it out at Oklahoma State that he had a big arm. But his lack of arm strength is the #1 reason he fell to the 3rd round. Other teams in the league saw it.

Mason Rudolph is a poor man's Dak Prescott. Give him a great o-line, great wide receivers, and a dominant run game, and sure he can win some games. But he's not the type of talent that can carry a team with a subpar offensive line, so-so wide receivers, and a lack of a run game. He's simply not that type of talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    was thinking just this. We saw Dak without a run game how bad he looked and thats because he can scramble.