1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason: I was brought here to be QB of the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He has to get up the depth chart to #2 beating out Dobbs, and then show he can be #1 when Ben goes down. It's a good thing. He's not handed the franchise QB position.

And utilizing the 3rd round on him last year, he's not that big of a deal if he doesn't turn out as the Franchise QB. Need a good franchise QB in this league anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The kid reminds me of a young Ben in a lot of ways. Mason is very confident. I like it. It will be very interesting to see if Mason can overtake Dobbs for the backup spot in 2019.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Like his confidence but calm down for now. At least win the backup job first.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Yea shut up Mason.. Don't suck in the preseason against back up defenses first let's start with that.. Everybody on this team just needs to shut up

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is Ben the next OC?
    haha

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    lol people finding reason to ***** about what he said :lolol: :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Seems confident. Can’t wait to see him in Pre season. Hopefully he is light years better than Dobbs. We might have another good one if that’s the case

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Seriously, your going to complain about that. The kids comments were good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If he can't beat out Dobbs in the preseason then what did they draft him for? That and they are going to extend Ben for 3 to 5 more years, in which I feel is to long. But the Steelers know what they are doing :eek:

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I am not surprised by anyany of the concerns being voiced about young Mason at all. For that matter, I am even less surprised that people are using his collegiate conference plus three preseason games to dictate his futute. If Big XII Quarterbacks are to have little success, then Patrick Mahomes should not even be laughably close to being an NFL MVP.

Granted, Mason Rudolph and Patrick Mahomes are two different Quarterbacks all together. The core difference is the situations they have been put in and development. Andy Reid's offense fits perfectly for Mahomes and then some; hence why that was a major reason the Chiefs sold quite the haul to acquire him. He still needed to sit a year to understand the NFL before ripping the leagues defense's a new one.

On the other hand, Mason does not need to be the savior at all in the upcoming season. Even better, Mason's development is augmented by the fact that he is learning behind a First Ballot Future HOF Quarterback; the exact opposite of what Patrick faced entering the league. If anything, Mason being brought slowly along will assist this team in the long haul as these lessons will pay off. Mason is the type of person who not only performs better but becomes better the more he is pushed. Seldom do rookie Quarterbacks have that trait. Mason does.

In short? Mason is projecting his confidence. For those of us that have payed attention during the preseason and watched his development, this should make us all hopeful for the future. If anything, his comments echo that of a rookie who is ready to showcase all that he has learned. His "coming of age" in the league if you will.

To those who think he was being "arrogant" and "cocky", again....

[​IMG]

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Mahomes (potentially ) will be the MVP after he rode the bench for a mediocre Alex Smith.

Rudolph is behind a HOF QB.

Now I'm not comparing Rudolph to Mahomes, but it was probably a good choice to keep him as #3 anyways. A) it let the Steelers know what they have in Dobbs, and B) it would keep Rudolph more hungry.

I still have confidence in Rudolph to be our eventual starter. I think the biggest question is how many more years does Ben want to keep playing?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I’m rooting for him. I hope he can grab the #2 spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Kind of an obvious statement to me. Wouldn't expect him to say I was brought here to be the Left Tackle.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    sure he wasn't responding to a fan from this board asking if he can play DB?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Smitch89

Sep 11, 2018
    Everything the Steelers do at this point deserves to be criticized and complained about.. If Ramon foster goes to dunkin donuts I'm gonna criticize and complain that he didn't go to Krispy Kreme.. They deserve it

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    That’s the best post I’ve read in awhile. Everyone on this team needs to stfu and learn how their role, do their damn job first.

I thought I was going to feel better this week but every dam thing I watch is patriot this and that. Those douchebags are going to win another Super Bowl and it’s because our team was too busy cat fighting to do something.

18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Beating the Browns and the Raiders would have gone a long way to us getting someplace good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Our backups should’ve beat them. Huge Jackoff was the Browns coach, the guy is 3/30 something wtf.

Be our QB stfu when you can’t even get on the field

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I'd be all for giving him a few reps at CB. Couldn't be much worse than Burns was last season.

21. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Some of the people on this board should too.... Shut up, that is.

Kid has confidence. What a terrible attribute for a QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You will go down in TSF message board history as the best find in the draft if this kid pans out. I believe you were the first person and maybe the only one that wanted to draft this kid but definitely the first.

With coaches now adjusting to college instead of making rookies adjust to the NFL, I am liking Masons chances even better. He's definitely the player I am most excited about to see in camp this year.

I'm hoping the Steelers only do a 2 year extension for Ben. Then if you have nothing in Mason, you can extend Ben again if he's still playing at a high level.

• Like Like x 2
  23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    As well as not blowing the game against the Chargers, Broncos and saints

24. Smitch89

Sep 11, 2018
    Your
    You must be a housewife who loves soap operas.. Which one is you're favorite.. General Hospital, young and the restless or days of our Steelers? Just curious

25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Get to #2 then your always one play away from playing. He needs to beat Dobbs for that spot.

I’d love to see Mason make that next step.