1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason F Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by R2sojr, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I think you meant to say 12.5 to 14 million per year. Because that is probably closer to what he will be offered on the market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    You’re probably not far off there I was thinking $10m per year but you just never know.

3. Snake

Snake Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2023
    When he's on the field you can tell the players Know that he ain't no rookie. He generates a lot of confidence,the team knows it and responds to it. Keeping his cool in that weather and pulling out a win pretty much shows he's for real. Note. Did anyone notice how at least 2 of his coaches (not Tomlin) ran out on the field to congratulate him. At the end of the game. He's come a long way from Purgatory. He's not going to win em all, but he's our best shot.

• Like Like x 2
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I doubt Mason will be a Pittsburgh Steeler in 2024. Pretty sure the NFL has taken notice. He will get offers. Let's be honest the Steelers never thought he was the guy for the past 6 years I'm not sure 3 games will convince them to keep him. One never knows. Now when he wins his 7th straight game then they will give it some thought;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The one thing all the BU guys have going for them is how different times they were called on this year to start a game. it was insane. This year Minshew made 3.5 million (guaranteed, half salary and the rest bonus, sure some made more, but doubtful he hits 14 million, maybe 10, but guessing more realistic 5 to 7, with incentives.

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    So are we calling Rudolph....MFR now? :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure 2 games against bad defenses and a Ravens team resting its starters will convince the rest of the league either. Let’s be honest, rain or no rain if Pickett had a 150 yard performance he’d be getting raked over the coals. Especially when you take away the long TD, you’d be lookin at an 80 yard day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes Jacobs Brissett is probably a reasonable comparison with Mason he is getting $8m with the commanders as a backup.

Minshew won’t ever get that kind of money because he just doesn’t have the arm to hit guys down the field.

I could see Mason signing with the Pats. I think they have given up on Mac Jones and will need a bridge guy assuming they draft somebody.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

You’ll never give Mason his credit. His performance eats you up inside just admit it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    If it wasn't for the Steelers offering 3rd string this year Mason would most likely be out of the league and in real estate. The steelers will work out a contract with MR in the off season giving him a chance to compete with pickett for qb #1. Pickett is a good qb and he may be better than Mason was when he first entered the league but Pickett is not better than Mason 2.0. Rudolph will be the starter next year with Pickett waiting in the wings as the primary backup. Mcsorely will be #3. With a set qb room we can concentrate on other needs in the draft and free agency. With Mason starting next year I see a playoff run. We might even have a playoff run this year if we can sneak in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Mason did well yesterday considering the conditions, 18/20 and one of those incompletions was a nice throw down the sideline that DJ really should have caught for a long TD. It wasn’t a day for airing the ball out. It wasn’t a classic performance by any means but he did well.

Backups that can come in and manage the offence the way he can are in demand across the league and I think he will get a nice payday this offseason, relatively speaking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m saying I dont think Kenny gets afforded that same measured response.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL sorry that looking at his starts objectively bothers you.

If you are right, he will be in demand this offseason. Really don’t care. What I care about is how he performs in a playoff game against a good team at full strength. What I saw yesterday doesnt fill me with confidence.

His sequence when under pressure was vintage Rudolph. The hot potato play was terrible and could have easily been picked off and ran back the other way. As it is, he still ended up turning it over. Luckily it didn’t cost them.

14. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    When that performance is like your last 24, yeah he shouldn’t be afforded the leeway.

• Like Like x 1
  15. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

Pickett hasn’t had a rating of 112+ in 25 games. Mason has 3 in his last 3 games. Say whatever you want to justify that thinking Mason isn’t solid.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What you and everyone else is ignoring is that before Rudolphs 3 games stretch he also had awful tape. Rudolph has never played a snap under Canada. Pickett played his whole career under him and lo and behold his first game without him he plays a good game.

17. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    You kfp fanboys are exhausting... It feels like you're just trolling at this point because no one's this dense...

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    And rightly so. Kenny has had opportunities against bad defences as well, and he hasn’t been able to throw TD’s or put up points. The odd clutch play here and there isn’t good enough.

Nobody is saying Mason is great, but his willingness and ability to throw the ball down the field has completely opened up the offence. The Ravens were afraid of him connecting with Pickens yesterday and that allowed Najee to run the ball up the middle against a lighter box.

No opposing D is afraid of Kenny doing anything.

The sample size is small with Mason of course, and Kenny will undoubtedly get another chance, but he better take it or I expect they will be moving on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

Your guy has been benched the last 2 games. If the Steelers get in the playoffs, Kenny will be QB2 so get ready.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why is everyone ignoring that Rudolph has taken over a team that was 4 weeks removed from Canada. Rudolph never had to play under him. Yes it’s still his playbook but you can tell immediate differences in how the offense is being run as opposed to when Canada was in charge.

What makes you think Kenny wouldnt have built off his good game with no Canada?

Rudolphs tape was also bad prior to these three starts but his are forgivable but not Picketts who played with a far worse OC.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    As opposed to Rudolph fanboys?

Watch the insults. Be a grownup or take a hike.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Most likely but I’ll still be rooting for Rudolph and the team to win.

23. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    If KP is your QB1 he plays no matter what. I think the Steelers have seen enough.

24. Snake

Snake Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2023
    This comparing QB's is nonsense. We seem to be in a pretty good spot with having TWO good QB '. Why rip them up. The way injuries are today we're gonna need them both and a third one too. Like we have a great one, two punch with running backs. Using them both keeps them healthy. A lot of teams would love to have those two guys. Come draft season, maybe we should look at shoring up some other positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I would play him. Think you guys are fooling yourselves if you think the Steelers have moved on from him. He’ll be the starting QB next season which is why he should play if they make the playoffs. That experience is invaluable.

However if Rudolph performs well in a playoff game, not even win but perform well, then I agree there could be a real QB competition next season. I’ll even believe in him more. He has to show me he can handle pressure and not what he did yesterday, that is inexcusable for a 6 year vet. There is a reason he was the worst graded QB when under pressure and one of the best when he has a clean pocket.