1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason F Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by R2sojr, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    I'm not trying to intimidate you into anything I just want you to admit how absurd your opinion on this matter is. You claim objectivity for fs sake "Pickett is the better Qb???" Based on what metrics??? Qbr doesn't matter to ya then what??? Because performance clearly doesn't matter either, Picketts got better hair? You're a pitt alumn?? Most Can't imagine someone actually believing Pickett should start over Rudolph in this game & yes maybe they struggle with Buffalo, but come back to reality man... with Pickett at qb they'd be lucky to have won 1 of the last 3... Rudolphs 2019 for fs sake what about Picketts entire career???

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Absurd because you don’t agree with it, another person that can’t fathom they could be wrong :rolleyes:

or worse, can’t tolerate people having a different opinion.

Rudolph played so poorly his first season he was benched, in what universe did he have a better season than Picketts first season? They finished the season winning 9 of the last 10 games whereas they fell apart during Rudolph’s first season down the stretch because they had no one that could play the position.

Neither a Pitt Alumn nor did I want them to draft Pickett. What are you, one of those college fanboys? They’re worse than NFL fans. Let me guess, you’ve always hated Pickett and Pitt?

Why do you keep bringing up Pickett anyway? We are talking about Rudolph, apparently you are very upset that I’m not all gaga over what he has done so far. What have I said that has been wrong? Do you think he has been playing exceptional football? Good God man, he’s put together a few nice games, nothing eye popping, the best thing that can be said is the team has responded to him and they have been winning.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No...I have not given up on KFP...Although....You can't say 2nd year. Example ...That would be like comparing Ben's first 3 years to A. Rodgers first 3 years. You gotta compare when they played. Not Mason fault like A. Rodgers that they were behind HOF Qbs ,but You know this, but it doesn't fit Your narrative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    How many games has each QB played? Just wondering.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Rocky Mtn

Dec 31, 2023
    :drinks:

6. Rocky Mtn

Dec 31, 2023
    Stephen A.
    I wonder what the A stands for
    What you are doing here is giving a pass to Kenny's previous bad games because of his last good game. On the other hand you are not giving Mason a pass on previous bad games after his most recent good ones. It's okay to be biased and admit it. Heck,I'm biased towards Rudolph right now. That could change. Hopefully it won't.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats exactly what Rudolph supporters are doing to Pickett. Thats what I was highlighting.

There is no bias unless not over exaggerating Rudolphs performance is bias. Seems people want to put the apple cart before the horse.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    The game against Buffalo is not looking good for QB play/passing. Forecast is for 20 plus mph winds.

Not a good game to be judgemental on QB play and putting up good passing numbers.

I will be looking for how the QB manages the game, not turning the ball over. Would love for the forecast to improve. There is a chance of rain most likely snow. It will be windy. Hoping the wind calms down for the game. It's going to be in the high 20s and the wind /wind chill will be a factor.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think they see enough difference right now for it to be worth disrupting things that are working on offense to put a quarterback out there who has been sitting for over a month. This isn't Pickett where he was after the first game against the Bengals. This is him after an injury and a month-long layoff.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Should give us an advantage as we have a better ground game than Buffalo. Hopefully it means Allen will be good for a few interceptions as well.

Biggest thing I think the Steelers need to do is neutralize Buffalos pass rush.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is just silly. Roethlisberger has a hell of a lot more positive in his resume than Rudolph.

Rudolph had that stinker well into his second season in the league. He didn't even play as a rookie. Pickett has two three-interception games, the first appearance of his career and his third start, both when he was a rookie and the Steelers insanely had him throwing the ball all over the place because they couldn't run it. Also, the last one against the Jets was a Hail Mary from the 48 with eight seconds remaining.

12. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    And if you look again at what I wrote, I already said that about Ben.
    "Ben has thrown 4 picks something like 6 or 7 times. We don't pretend that those games encompass his resume."

Rudolph had one really bad game in his second season. Are you claiming that elite QBs never have a bad game, ever, after their first season? That would be just silly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I was looking again at the 2019 season. A few things I was reminded of, listed below.
    Not saying that Rudolph had franchise QB performance, just there are reasons why I don't think it was completely dismal like some people are describing it.
    (And a lot of the Steelers success was due to having the #5 defense in the league, so I'm not saying he personally carried the team. But he wasn't an anchor either.)

- MR never had a preseason where he got #1 QB practice and snaps. Not saying that there is anything wrong with that, but it does mean he never had the preparation of someone like Pickett going into his second season.
    - In his first 3 starts, the team faced two of the best teams in the league: Baltimore (top AFC seed, #1 offense, #3 defense) and SF (top NFC seed and conference champs, #2 offense, #8 defense). The team only lost to SF by 4 (and had a lead in the 4th quarter) and in overtime to Baltimore... Those are still losses, but it showed that MR was doing pretty well for a raw QB against elite teams.
    - The team finished the season with 3 losses where they only scored 10 points each game. Considering Duck was the starter and MR was put on IR from the Jets game, I don't see how the team's end-of-season woes can be heaped on him.
    - MR got a concussion in the Baltimore game, when they were head-hunting and gave a helmet shot to the jaw. He was knocked unconscious, and was still on the protocol a week later. He didn't look as sharp the rest of the season... A player can be cleared to continue playing, but still have concussion symptoms that diminish their abilities. It is only a guess, but I think the concussion aftereffects were limiting his brain processing for a lot of that season. Getting hit with a helmet in the Browns game could easily exacerbate the brain trauma, to the point where the team replaced him early the week later. (And why MR looked good coming off the bench in the Jets game, after he had several weeks to recover, before that shoulder injury knocked him out of the game.)

That last point is a reason why I'm not ready to give up on Pickett for next season. If he has any lingering mental cloudiness from the concussion he got earlier this season, then a few months rest and a few more months of pre-season practice could mean him processing the game faster than he has this season.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Pound the ball like they have done 3 games in a row. Run game will make a difference for sure. They guys are pumped and ready to play. Najee is in beast mode and playing like his life depends on it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Former Steeler QB Dick Shiner said yesterday that he intently listened to Tomlin's press conference yesterday to hear a compliment for Rudolph but didn't hear one. Shiner said that he feels that Tomlin sees Rudolph's success as more of an inconvenience than a blessing.

16. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    You know what they say about assuming? It makes an ass out of u and me. I'm not saying he's wrong, but this statement was just for clicks and giggles.

Plus, the only compliment needed was giving him the football in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Tomlin hasn't praised Rudolph in three games. The best he has said was that Rudolph didn't show rust after the Cincinnati game. The reason probably is that he doesnt want to admit that he was wrong in benching Mason, and spending money on Trubisky who is clearly inferior and then drafting Pickett who has clearly been outperformed by Rudolph. This is after three games of QB rating of over 110. Rudolph is gone after this year and we will have another year of misery with Pickett and who ever they get to replace Trubisky. Russell Wilson is washed up and Justin Field is just another Trubisky from what I saw of him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    ‘Pickett is absolute worst in NFL HISTORY in TD pass ratio with 500+ passes.

absolute worst in NFL history!

He simply is the absolute worst in NFL history when it comes to throwing TDs. That’s just fact.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Kenny was had 1 single good game against a horrible defense over a 24 game resume. In that 1 single good game against a horrible defense, Kenny put up a whopping 16 points.

Kenny currently holds the record for the worst TD per pass ratio in nfl history.

I ask again, what has Kenny done to merit being considered as a starting QB going into 2024?

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    While being saddled quite possibly with the worst OC in history. Something Rudolph has been blessed not to have to endure outside of one game and couldnt beat a winless Lions team.

I haven’t seen one person claim Pickett is great or that he is even the future, just that they need to see what he can do with a real OC. One game without Canada was much better than anything he had done up to that point.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I read what you wrote. One disastrous outing weighed against Rudolph's limited resume is very different from even three or four stinkers against a Hall of Fame resume like Roethlisberger's.

That said, I don't see anybody judging the first five years of Rudolph's career solely on that one terrible performance, but he was also bad the following week until he was benched for Duck Hodges. That needs to be part of the conversation.

22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Kenny could very well be the only QB on the roster a short time from now. I think Rudolph will sign with someone else, Trubisky will be cut and they just released McSorley.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He has had more than one good game. Also, quarterbacks don't put up points by themselves. They help the team do it. Pickett was also robbed of a touchdown in that game, whether you want to blame Johnson, the officials, or Tomlin for not challenging it.

What you are either ignoring or don't understand is that Pickett was held back all season by a very conservative game plan and a coaching staff that told him he needed to avoid turnovers at all costs. They cut Rudolph loose for two reasons. One is that the defenses of the Bengals and Seahawks suck. The other is that they had no choice with injuries gutting the middle of the defense. They can't play the style Tomlin wants to play.

24. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    You
    You keep saying that Pickett was robbed of a touchdown. If that throw was better, Johnson would not have to contort either You add that TD, and he has 14 in 24 games. Still pretty bad.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Bad thing is Buffalo had started to establish a good running game the last 4, or 5 weeks also.

• Like Like x 1