1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason era should be over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Not so fast.
    1. He is putting us in a position to win games when we have no running game.
    2. Receivers (JuJu) are dropping balls.
    3. Coaches are refusing to trust him (two weeks in a row where all we need to win the game is one or two first downs and we go 3 and out running the ball).
    4. He is tough enough to stay in the pocket while looking and thinking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Mason Rudolph is the least of our problems. Our skill positions have let us down... RBs can't establish consistent run game, WRs drop too many passes... and TEs are not used enough in the game plan and drop too many passes like the WRs. The O-line has taken a step back this year.

If Rudolph had pre-psycho AB and Le'Veon Bell as weapons, we'd be blowing teams out of the water.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    You’re right but there are times where mason just makes a bad inaccurate throw at the worst time. He cleans that up and he will be great

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Mason is not going to make anyone forget about Ben. He's young, his receivers are young. Injuries to the running backs isn't helping. Defenses know they can attack Rudolph. Dropped passes are a huge reason he doesn't look good. On the other hand, I'm still waiting to see what quality or staple of quarterback he brings or shows. He's not always accurate, doesn't seem to have arm strength, can't lead a receiver. Does he hold on to the ball too long because receivers can't get opened, doesn't trust his arm for pinpoint passes, can't read the defense ? I think the mental aspect will come to him but, his passing game is suspect to me at this point. Time will tell and I hope he develops and develops fast.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I listened to the official broadcast with Hargrove and Ilkin and they were saying the same thing.... Rudolph desperately needs help from his WRs and RBs. WRs are RBs are freakin' terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I disagree that it's time to give up on Mason but, DAMN, he throws a lot of passes over/under/behind his receivers! Fix his accuracy problems and he's pretty good!
    Need to bring back stick-em for the receivers for when his throws are on target!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Rudolph is about as decent as it gets, but our issues have been less about him and more about our skilled players, primarily wide receivers. These guys are infuriating. 30-yard passes lead to fumbles or turnovers, somehow. Mason's QBR is probably 10 points higher if these guys make their plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I wonder if transitioning from the ball coming in floating from MR vs coming in hot from Ben is causing all these drops? But that is not MR's fault!

9. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    He's on meth. :eek:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    It might be. I don't know, but there's definitely no excuses. Bad football is bad football. I imagine this all changes if the running game could get going. Conner needs to come back ASAP.

11. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    That still doesn’t account for all the ridiculous fumbles. I think the top 4 receivers on the team all have at last 1 and we’ve still got nearly half a season to go.

EDIT: What’s unreal is the Steelers have 1 fumble running the ball - and 6 from the receivers...

• Like Like x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Crucial drops crucial fumbles it’s not all on mason but it’s 50/50 because of those errant throws. Offense is horrific I’m surprised we are 5-4. With 3 close losses to good teams

13. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I think the offense is average without AB and healthy Conner. I'd rather have a dominant defense and average offense than we what we've seen in years prior with good offense and porous below average defense. We can win playoff games with a top D and average offense... we've done it before in '05 and '08.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    You and me both, I’m not complaining lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Mason Rudolph has been very good. He has no legit go to weapon on the team. Letting Jesse James go might not have been a good idea. At least he was a nice security blanket.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree. JuJu and McDonald have been disappointing. Conner can't stay healthy. Diontae Johnson will be a legit #2 in time, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I have to wonder why he's not using his TE's more. McDonald should be his over the middle security blanket, you would think.

In the games that MR has started(6 games), he has 20 completions for 154 yds to the TE's. That's 3 catches for 25 yards a game.

You would think, especially for Rudolf, that he'd be leaning on those TE's. He could throw a patented rainbow duck and let those big guys make a play for him.

He's basically just using Samuels for that but I would think he could get more yards on a consistent basis by utilizing them more.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I finally had a chance to watch a recording the game this AM. I think Mason played his best game of the season. I had been a bit critical of him, but he went part of the way towards addressing my concerns. He had plenty of mid range throws that were accurate and delivered on time. There’s still a lot of growing to be done, but yesterday was a big step in the right direction vs. a solid defense.

Mr. Rudolph :hi:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Sorry loved JJ but 4 years 25 mil is way to much for a 2nd TE.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I agree with not paying that much for a #2 TE, but JJ played more like a #1 than anyone we're seeing here right now.
    Mcdonald was a Mcstake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Steelers fans be like
    “AB gone? We don’t need him anyway “

“Bell gone? Don’t need him either “

“I can’t believe the let the Outlaw go. Season over”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Don’t forget “Ben gone? Don’t need him either”

or, “we let Tuzar Skipper go? 3-13 for sure”

23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Don't matter if Vance was a mistake or not the fact is he is here and signed, can't sign guy based on others being a Mcstake(lol). There is only enough money to go around, where the problem was is the decision not to replace JJ with quality. Instead we got Grimble and a draft pick...........

24. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Well Conner and JuJu actually did fumble ...so yea you kinda get what you deserve. Bad teams fumble it.

I'm saying that called fumble that Minkah returned for a TD was a bad call and should have been a forward pass. If that was Mason taking that hit and we lost on that return for a TD this board would be going nuts. Missing 43 yard FG's is a fluke thing in this league. Getting balls stripped because your players haven't been properly coached to protect a football is reflection of just how good you are. It's a shame that this is an issue because it shouldn't be.

25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It doesn't help that one of them (Johnson?) was carrying the ball like it was a bag o' turds!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.