1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason era should be over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I would prefer to have Duck in the game giving him a shot. But to be honest, the coaching staff seems to be holding MR back. The WRs are garbage, 100% garbage. MR is already trying to adjust to the NFL, the coaches wont let him pass, and then when he does....they drop the damn ball. Yes, i agree he needs to be more accurate throwing laser passes like hes been in the league 40 yrs but he hasnt. The receivers need to adjust and catch the damn ball. The reason he keeps going back to Washington is bc thats who he knows and trusts. And yes, Washington is playing like garbage too. Everybody has written off the Steelers for year, so let him play. Let him make some bad passes, throw some ITs, he will learn and he will adjust.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

So what? Without Brady putting up 40 every week for the last 15 years the Patriots would not have won 6 titles because their defense surely would not even approach average in those years.

Newsflash. This is not the first, nor the last time that a Steeler defensive effort will have to win the game for the Steelers. You must be a young fan because if you were an older fan you would realize that over the last 40 years, the Steeler defense has bailed out a poor offense more than the other way around. I seem to recall Ben throwing 5 int's more than once in his career. He has held onto the ball a lot too. Don't forget, Ben has some HOF players to throw to over the years not to mention a No 1 ranked defense and a HOF RB. Mason has who?

Newsflash. Do you think any of Flacco's wins with the Ravens would have been possible without a good defense? Would it be safe to say that they won a lot of games for the Ravens because their offense was not that great?

Newsflash. Mahomes put up 430 today and LOST. Why? The chief defense is crap. So, would you rather have Mahomes and all this stats today with a loss instead of Mason's average stats with a win?

With your insight I think you should seriously consider or apply for a job in the Steelers front office because after just 6 games without ever having thrown a pass in the NFL, losing the best WR in the league along with the best all around RB, you can tell that Mason does not have what it takes. All his major assets on offense are 24 or under.

Glad you weren't around for Bradshaw's first 4 YEARS as he played a lot worse than Mason has and Bradshaw had the best defense arguably of all time. Gee, and just see how he turned out.

Bottom line is Mason is going thru what most new QB's go thru. It is a learning process and he needs time. It ain't pretty but they are winning and are at least not out of the playoff picture.

rutan

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Glad I'm not the only one drinkin.:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  4. shadowmaker

Nov 3, 2011
    Lamar is going to get lit up Las Vegas if he keeps running the way he is, spinning and jumping around. Last week he faked like he was going to run out of bounds and then turned back in for another yard or 2. He is one mean LBer away from being out of the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Another thing. It would be nice to see him with an actual capable offensive coordinator.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Even so, Greg Roman is letting Lamar be himself. Randy is not letting Mason cut it loose like he did at OK State.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Im4steelers

Im4steelers Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2019
    He was over 60 % passing for 242yds a td pass plus 5 passes in receivers hands that were dropped. After only playing 6 games he is doing great as for as im concerned better than more than half of qbs in the nfl. And is only going to get better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Gosh, some of you guys...did you read what you actually wrote?

You say you would prefer to have Duck in the game, giving him a shot. Why? Then you go on to list the reasons why it is not Mason's fault for the way he is playing. Let's see, you said, the coaching staff is holding him back. Next you say the WR's are garbage, not just ordinary garbage, but 100 percent garbage. Then you say that the coaches won't let him pass and when he does they drop the ball.

Now, explain to me why Duck should get a shot? Charity? Does he have some pictures or something? What has Duck done to warrant a shot if what you said previously about Mason is true?

There is no reason you gave, not one, as to why Duck should be given a shot. He has shown nothing really. A couple of good passes in preseason is not a valid reason based upon your critique of Mason above to give him a shot. FWIW, Mason played very well in preseason allowing the Steelers to trade Dobbs. What did Duck do better? Clearly, you have stated a case FOR Mason and not against him.

rutan

• Like Like x 1
  9. shadowmaker

Nov 3, 2011
    I agree with you 100%. BA let Ben be Ben and designed plays to fit his style. Haley, while he probably extended Bens career, held him back.

10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Dude, at least change your signature if you are done with Rudolph.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Haley did extend Ben's career for sure. That said, Ben was unwilling to change at first. I know Mason is not there yet but getting him an OC to play to his strengths and protecting him at the same time should be the top priority.

Of course, this all has to happen after Ben leaves. I doubt Randy leaves because Ben is still here. Once Ben goes.... Randy likely goes as well.

12. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I could understand some constructive criticism if the Steelers were 2-7 instead of 5-4, but I think the kid is playing solid, if unspectacular football. Much of the stuff we see him do is attributable to inexperience. Remember too like others have pointed out that he has a lot of inexperience at WR to deal with, which makes the drop by a veteran like McDonald all the more troubling. As much as we raise hell about this coaching staff, some of it accurate and some not so much, if they thought that Hodges gave them a better chance to win, he'd be in there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    how bout 3-6?

Colts make a 43 yard FG and officials call that a forward pass tonight and we are 3-6. Lets not pretend this is a legit playoff team. 8-8 is about right given the schedule.

in today’s nfl I dont think its too much to ask this offense to be better than maybe half the league... lets not forget we easily have a top 10 O-line.

14. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Jesus Fn Christmas you seem unreasonable!!! He's getting better every game and playing with A LOT of heart!!! The fumbles and F@#$&NG dropped passes killed them... RUDOLPH CAN'T CATCH IT FOR THEM!!!

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    And hit Ju Ju for 90 yard td. Or thrown a pick 6..depends on which Ben showed up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    You folks must be pure nuts. What in the world are you watching???

Mason has no rushing game. Given very poor plays from sideline. Dropped balls. AND HE STILL has positive stat lines week after week.

It's baffling people complaining

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Remember Mike Kruzek. In 76 played in 10 games, had to start 6. He was 6-0, 51-85 for 758 yards. Helps when you have 2 1000 yard rushers and a D who nearly shut down every opponent. This team had no RG tonight, hell they even tried to run a TE, no real TE play, and WR dropping passes. I have no idea what career this kid will have, but he is not losing the games by mistakes (and he may yet), and with some help may actually win a game..or at least be able to close one out.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dobbs against the Raiders last year was worse than Hodges against the Chargers this year :shrug:

19. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I think Rudolph has been very good and continues to show tremendous poise week after week and he makes big throws at key moments in these games. Sure he has a lot of room to grow and get better but so far through the 6 or 7 games he has played he has definitely been more good then bad. I like Rudolph and I think he is the kind of QB you can win with with a good defense and good players and coordinator surrounding him.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't matter how old Mason is, he will be on the bench the next 2 seasons :hehehe:.

21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    After reading this thread I am convinced that M. Rudolph is the next A. Manning. A HOF QB that never had any help. Mason has to take some blame for the inept offense.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Washington has been their best WR the last 2 games, against the Rams he had 6 catches for 90 yards and 1 TD, the fumble was bad though.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    And the running game put up a whopping 43 yards. WTH do some of these guys expect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Oh whoopee! He put up lots of passing yards in the Big 12. So, at best we have the next Colt McCoy.

I'm willing to give him a chance, but the way he stands back there like a statue concerns me more than a little. That's not poise, it's stupidity

25. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Their defense doesn't approach average over those years because it has been above average, not below. In 2005 they were the 17th ranked scoring defense. Since then, they have been outside the top ten once, when they were 15th. The idea that Brady has won the Super Bowls by himself every year is wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.