1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason era should be over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Are you going to pass out from holding your breath and stomping your feet if I keep ignoring you?

2. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, I guess we don't agree on something after all NY! That is hysterical, the strain was too much for you to be in agreeance with me :roflmao:

3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    You guys are still bickering? Lol

73FC908F-DDBA-4997-9B18-18B7ABF66E71.gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Ranting about me not engaging you in good faith was ignoring me?

I still don't see how anybody could possibly believe I was seriously accusing you or anybody else of saying those things about Dobbs, Hodges and Lynch. What did I have to do? Put them in the Hall of Fame to make it clear I was using hyperbole to make a joke? If you really didn't get it, you really need to take some time to search for your sense of humor.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Here is the so-called evidence that I was not posting in good faith.

By the way, I was responding to a point made by TheTerribleOwl that has gotten lost. He questioned how we can evaluate any quarterback given the sad state the rest of the offense is in right now. Rudolph sucked against the Browns, but he was hardly the only problem out there. The line couldn't hold up in pass protection. They were down to WAshington, Holton and a guy just up from the practice squad at receiver in the second half. Even when the line could open holes, Samuels and the scrubs behind him couldn't take advantage. The offense is a disaster right now.

I don't like what I'm seeing from Rudolph right now, either, but there is little reason to believe Dobbs could have done better. The same is true of Hodges and Lynch. Hodges seems reckless. He managed to show that against the Chargers even though the team barely let him cut loose at all. Lynch had plenty of opportunities as a first-round pick for the quarterback-starved Broncos and still couldn't get it done.

Then there is the matter of Dobbs, the guy who would supposedly do something better even though he failed in his only real shot in 2018 and Rudolph clearly beat him out this preseason. The point is moot because he is gone, but it is also a point that doesn't make sense based on the available evidence.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm barely engaging him man! LOL look at all the stuff he is posting, boy is going to have an aneurysm.

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Nope I guess not, and I am not here to point out someone and keep going back and forth with them, that was why I didn't respond :smiley1:. I am not even gonna touch the whole Dobbs thing because it is meaningless, he is gone Mason played well enough for that to happen you can't look back after the fact.

What I will talk about is this after really thinking about it and reading the points of others it make zero sense to ME to sit Mason. Yeah our defense is playing well enough to make us playoff relevant, however most here thought our playoffs hopes were well over with Ben going down. Now with that said Ben is at the end of the road, maybe he comes back maybe he don't. With that said what if he don't if we bench Mason how would we know if he is the future and how is he suppose to get experience? Someone pointed out with him playing so bad last week he should have been pulled at half, I don't disagree with that.

To put this all on one person it crazy, this offense in horrid. We might have a bunch of practice squad guys starting this week at WR, how is that fair to Mason? One bad game and people are ready to jump off, take this last game out and he had 4 int's 2 off our great wr's hands and throw in the drops and piss poor play calling and mason is doomed.....in the words of @HeinzMustard lol. ;) Could another QB give us a spark maybe but do we know that? Also if duck or Lynch was to give us a spark are they part of the future? I think by the Steelers actions they think Mason is or at least could be the future and we will not know that unless he plays. My opinion is Masons play from here on out will tell the Steelers if they need to use a top pick on a QB this year or take a flyer later on in the draft.

It is pretty funny how we want to keep giving guys like Switz, Dupree, Burns and Edmunds time but we are so ready to bail on guys like Mason and JW. It only took Dupree 4 years to step up and he was a starter, Mason was on the bench all year. So if you think I am disagreeing just because it is you nope sorry you would be wrong I am disagreeing because I really want what is best for this team in the long run not just one season. :drinks:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This from the board moderator still engaging in personal attacks on a member. Wouldn't making it personal, as you have, be the real sign of somebody who is stressing about something?

My posts did include more substance than yours. I will grant you that. That is because there is more substance of value, as in evidence, on my side of the discussion.

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Let.it.go.getting.petty.at.this.point.

Back on topic: I know it's early but I hope that Mason is not our future. I need to see some massive improvement from him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

You have to give him some time. Its awful to watch at times but he does have some good qualities as well. Look Ben has struggled as well. I think we have a too small of sampling to make assertions like this.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    It is enjoyable to follow waiting for Sunday. I actually can see both sides of the argument although I agree with one more then the other but am not saying which one.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats not an attack, Scribe.

And while you are feigning innocence, you forgot the green font on the shots you took at me while not direct quoting me. By the way, I'm sure if I used green font, you'd be totally cool with me taking shots at you.

Roonatic is right, people are tired of reading our bs, so after your next 3 page rebuttal, move on. Have something to get off your chest, PM me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The issue isn't whether were cool with the comment in green font or not. My issue is the false claim you made based on that post, saying that I wasn't arguing with you in good faith. Nobody could reasonably see what I wrote as anything but a joke, yet you tried to pass it off as if I seriously accused you of saying Dobbs was a great quarterback.

It isn't about getting something off my chest, which can be done via PM. It is about setting the record straight, which belongs on the thread. That said, I am happy to drop it at this point. I do believe everybody is fed up with the bickering.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    ive never seen people argue over 2 trash qb's so much lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Especially one that isn’t even here. Where is Glen when you need him?
    WHO?

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I disagree pretty strongly with this take. I want to win every game we can win. If we can make the playoffs, then I damn well want the team to push to make the playoffs. I don’t care whether we expected to be in playoff contention, or whether we expect to make noise in the playoffs. I want to be there. Playing a QB so that you get a better feel for whether or not he can be the future starter is for teams that are out of playoff contention.

All of that said, if Mason can rebound I do think he’s the best option on our current roster for the present day, so he’s the guy that I start. However, if he struggles again I wouldn’t hesitate to try someone else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    getting a Steelers LIV Super Bowl Champions tattoo lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree 100% Playoffs is always the first goal, once you make that, you have new goals. Finding out who our QB is takes a backseat.

But if Mason has another bad game against Cincy and we still manage to win it, they have to sit him, won't get much easier than that team. They won't of course but IMO they should. Hopefully they won't have to even consider that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep. Hopefully we see the Mason that we saw in the 2nd half vs. Seattle; IMO the best he’s played.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with wanting the team to make the playoffs but people are are acting like this is all Mason's fault. He had one stinker and honestly if it weren't for 2 fumbles we have 2 more wins. Now I am not saying Mason is some great QB because if you go back a few pages I was all on the bench bandwagon. Mason has to get better at some thrown for sure but holy cow he is playing with how many backups to the back up right now???? How many dropped passes, how about being the most pressured QB so far....all with what 7 games starting experience?????? All I am saying is this is not all on Mason and with the season on the line and the future we need to see what Mason has. I am not against sitting Mason if he struggles again and let's say we put duck in and he does well you stay with the hot hand but I don't want to give up on Mason just yet.

On my way home today I had on Sirius radio MTC and PK had a good take on Mason. A called talked about how the Steelers need to move on and PK brought up all the things I just mentioned....injuries, young receivers, lack of experience and lack of running game. But he also brought up a great point, Mason being asked to do too much. PK brought up how Ben is his first year threw the ball less the 20 times in 5 games and the Steelers also scored 20 or less points in 7 games. Ben had a great defense, a good oline and a good running game....the bus! He also threw for under 200 yds in 10 of them games, he was brought along slow and Mason isn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm not even a particular fan of Rudolph's (other than him being a Steeler) but I am probably seen (if noticed at all) as a Mason apologist simply because I don't trash him for not being good when he has nothing good around him. We could seriously be fielding the worst skill position guys I can remember us ever fielding this Sunday and our offensive line has taken a serious step back. Other than having a good defense to help him out Rudolph has nothing in his favor. There is literally not one thing this team is particularly good at on offense. We can't even point to the pass protection after the last games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Everyone wants instant gratification and are spoiled by the Wilsons and Mahomes. They are the outliers and not the norm. Look at Mayfield ,Rosen and Darnold,all drafted way ahead of MR and they all actually played last year. I keep going back to Lamar Jackson and how everyone mocked him and said he wouldn’t amount to anything. He was pretty bad last year but they put a run game behind him and they were able to make the playoffs. He was abysmal in the playoff game and the crowd was calling for Flacco. Harbaugh stuck with his guy and is being rewarded this year. You can’t make knee jerk reactions with the best option you have right now. I don’t want to hear about Hodges. He was cut after the PS and nobody claimed him and now he’s the savior.

Who else are we going to bench for a poor performance next? Foster,Villanueva. What about JUJU next time he fumbles away a game? Conner if he plays again? Seems to be a few longer leashes around here for others though...eh hem! They invested a 3 rd round pick. It’s silly to give up after 7 games and really shatter a young QBs confidence for instant gratification.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Dang nice post

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I love a good internet fight!!!