1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason era should be over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    agreed however we have no one else lol. I don’t mind duck starting but not sure if he can do any better. We are severely crippled and I’m not sure we can make the playoffs because of it. Schedule is easy but not with this staff

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    As another poster said, Ben's replacement is still playing college ball.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Or pee wee lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ....or in the pee pee:hehehe:

5. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    I agree with blastfurnace about playing lynch, I wanna see what he can do. Hodges is just as sloppy as Rudolph if not worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    this was a scouting report on Rudolph coming out of college:

"There were a few games in 2017 with examples of Rudolph struggling to throw into tight windows. His anticipation will have to improve for the pros, or he could be taking a lot of sacks from holding onto the ball too long. Routinely, Rudolph wouldn't pull the trigger on a throw until his receiver had long since gotten wide open rather than anticipating the play to get the ball out faster. The length of time Rudolphs holds the ball in the pocket is going to be a problem in the NFL, but in the Big XII and against other college teams, he could get away with it because he had all day to throw. There were plays where he got the ball out quickly with anticipatory throws, but he was inconsistent with that and has to quicken the process for the NFL.

Rudolph will need development as a pro. He will have to work on his accuracy and field vision, plus get used to playing under center and calling plays in the huddle. Going through progressions and reading the field can be problems for Rudolph, and he has to improve there. He is going to see a big jump in competition from the Big XII defenses, which posed little challenge to Rudolph and the Cowboys. He had plenty of time to wait in a clean pocket to throw on weak defensive backs who his receivers burned regularly. Rudolph hasn't seen anything close to the pass rush or defensive back talent that will challenge him in the NFL."

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018mrudolph.php

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes but you aren't looking for Bens successor, you're just looking for someone to play better than Rudolph for the time being.

That's a low bar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Nice find. To be fair to MR he was drafted as a project and it was never the plan to have him starting this year or even next year, he didn’t even dress for games in his first year. His struggles should not be a surprise to anybody and the lack of infrastructure (talent) around him is magnifying his shortcomings and inexperience. He has done ok to date but he is not an NFL caliber QB. He needs more time and coaching and even then he might never be good enough.

As for Paxton Lynch, guy was a Grade A bust. Broncos gave up on him very quickly and he couldn’t get a job before Pittsburgh were down to Hodges as their only healthy QB. I’d prefer to stick with MR personally. If he has a few more stinkers then maybe look to change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Rudolph may or may not be the future but I’m quite confident Hodges and Lynch certainly aren’t either. We may as well find out what we have in MR. I don’t see the point in experimenting just to try and win another game or two. To me that is detrimental to any development you’re trying to see in MR. Like I said it’s Cincy and a chance for MR to redeem himself. Unless you’re prepared to ride the back ups the rest of the way on a game by game performance. JMO

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Reminds me about the two guys being chased by a bear and the one says: "I sure hope we can outrun that bear" and the other one says: "I just hope I can outrun you!"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That's about as accurate a scouting report as you'll ever see. I remember the defense part as a concern when people were pimping him and that is showing up in spades now. He is having trouble with a clean pocket as well, which means he is having trouble reading the defense and why he checks down so quickly to Samuels. Also, receivers aren't college open in the pros.

He has work to do.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Receivers aren't college open in the pros and this receiving corps is not great. It's a bad combination.

The problem isn't all Rudolph. It isn't all the receivers. It is the entire unit. The offensive line has been inconsistent, but this team just doesn't have the skill players necessary on offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Can’t argue there

14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Worst offense in the league imo

15. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    You have a point but thing is when the talent is there it will show itself. Look at lamar jackson, dak prescott, mahomes, etc.... several young qbs who weren't expected to start right away. Kyler murray went to a horrible team and they made no signficant upgrades around him and hes balling. MR just doesnt have it. Hes not that guy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    With tua's injury history possibly making him slide if he falls to round 2 I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him. Let him redshirt behind ben for a year to rehab and get healthy. Cowboys drafted jaylon smith with a completely wrecked knee to the point he had nerve damage and he paid dividends. I'd take a shot on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Well we have to look at this objectively now! Washington, JuJu, Conner, McDonald, Johnson were there with Ben at QB and they did fine! They were also there when Mason took over and up until last game so that rationale doesn't really hold up.

The receivers (back types= any players that can catch or run with the ball) have not done their jobs very well but it's inconsistency. It's not talent!

It's not their fault that Mason doesn't know how to "climb" the pocket (move up into it). But instead, stays at the top of his drop and gets his arm grabbed by an outside rusher or a hand in his throwing lane to disrupt the throw. As I've said before too, Mason should be setting the protection (pre-snap), so if guys are coming cleaning whether the defense is rushing 3-6 players, they should be accounted for. Again, no O Line can protect perfectly and guys are gonna get beat once and a while but MR does not seem to understand, when to climb, when to throw the ball away (intentionally), when to just take the sack and more importantly when to deliver the ball (holds the ball too long). As I said before, this is a coaching problem either way! Even if Mason is not coachable. Then he should be replaced or the HC needs to make a change in his staff!

To me, it's a cop out to say it's everyone elses' fault!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It’s looking that way but like I said he was a project that should not be in the position he is in. He needed time behind Ben and good coaching, not to be thrust into the lineup with no running game and a very inexperienced WR corp around him.

jackson, Mahomes and the others were first rounders for a reason and were expected to start soon after draft. The cowboys hit the jackpot with Prescott, a fourth rounder that was starter ready, doesn’t happen often and that first year he started he mostly handed off to Elliot who was winning games on his own. I don’t know what Masons ceiling is tbh, he is not as talented as Mahomes, Watson etc but I don’t think you can fully evaluate him in the current situation either. If he can develop to be an Alex Smith or Andy Dalton type game manager he will have value in the league.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Poor guy is gonna be a meme for life

F8F98A7A-9D1A-4C78-9DBD-88620FD70468.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This for cajun who thinks me saying Rudolph has no poise was the stupidest comment he has ever heard. How's this for poise for your boy cajun? Dude is in way over his head and doesn't have the abilities or aptitude to be an NFL starter. To say otherwise is, well, the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey BBH.

Could be, Could be. Time will tell. I am not going to let one bad game (really bad one at that I will admit) define Mason. These "over-reactions" will continue as he is micro-analyzed each week. Given that, once again he was doing adequately up to the Browns' game. I am just saying his body of work is "very" small and overall I personally am not throwing in the towel.

The one thing that I am concerned about is the overthrowing and sailing of his passes. Is this a mechanics, stress, inexperience issue or something else? We have not much to go off of in his young NFL career but he did make these throws, and quite successfully, in college. Once again, time will tell. Take care all.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I like that you are adding to your flair and I appreciate your input here.

23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Nice take.

None of us know yet what Rudolph's upside is. He has been subject to the same injury turmoil as the rest of the team. I think the scouting report is spot on, we have seen more than one example of every concern the author noted. having said that, Rudolph's future is still an unknown.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

He's having a rough season for sure

• Like Like x 1
  25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    When are they looking for Ben's successor, if not now? How do we know Ben isn't finished (whether he thinks he is or not)? Remember what you said about Bell sitting out an entire season. It appears you were right, and his time off wasn't injury related. Ben will be 38.5 years old when next season starts, coming off a major injury to his throwing arm. Either way, I think relying on Ben going forward is delaying the inevitable. If Mason has a shot at being the future, now's the time to find out (imo).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.