1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Maryland CB Sean Davis

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh but it doesn't have to be said, it's evident between the lines, just like Boykin is the best ever CB!

Lol, relax Morris, it's called sarcasm ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    RPO? You mean the guy that doesn't realize the Steelers drafted a SS high SPECIFICALLY because Golden started week 1 against the Patriots and did a terrible job vs their TE?

First two highlights are Gronkowski catching an 18 yard pass against Golden and Golden diving helplessly at Gronk's legs as he walks in for a TD.

Yeah... start Golden the great destroyer of TEs.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/0ap3000000525771/Week-1-Rob-Gronkowski-highlights

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  3. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    I actually love arguing with you haha.

We both agree that it is most likely that Golden starts the season and Davis will have his snaps gradually increased until later in the season when Davis gets a chance to start.

Based on how the Steelers typically handle rookies it is the best assumption.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He's in your ignore list yet you quoted and replied to him, hmmm :hmm: :smiley1:

I'm not using him to support my arguments, it was his post, he doesn't need me to answer for him.

:popcorn:

But since you mentioned Golden, it only strengthens my case not to start players that don't know what they are dong. Like it or not, Golden is much further along then Davis.

I love the Davis pick, I'm excited about him, anyone familiar with me, knows I love those versatile type players, I just don't feel he will be ready that soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    "Yea, that response sounds better than what I originally wrote"

Lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yea, that's "specifically" why they drafted Davis... :facepalm:

:rolleyes:

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sean Davis may or may not be ready come week 1. I will say this though. Should he improve his man coverage early on, who's to say he is not one of the best safeties from this draft? Athletically, he is already there being only surpassed by the likes of Karl Joseph (then again, his caliber of talent is ABSURD).

To me, Sean was one of the more underrated players in the draft, Hawkins being another. I am sure that Butler will have Davis and Burns play within their strengths while easing them into his system. Keep in mind that Dupree was also eased into the system (granted, Kentucky was so devoid of talent that they made Dupree do EVERYTHING) and, while he did sputter a bit mid-season, he picked it back up by seasons end. If the likes of Dupree can be used despite the learning curve year one, I see no reason why Butler would not have Burns nor Davis play to their strengths while having them learn some of the more advanced mechanics that go into playing their respective positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    I clicked to see ignored messages.

I'm not that down on Golden. I wish he had gotten more snaps last year but I think Gronkowski dominating him week 1 marked him... still who can guard Gronkowski? Not Terrence Garvin haha.

I guess the Steelers coaches don't think Golden is starter material and didn't need to give him more snaps.

I'm pretty certain day 1 it will be Golden>Davis>Thomas but who knows what happens in camp.

9. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Golden was the starting SS game 1 last year was my main point... until got got Gronked twice in the first half.

10. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Oh, well then your main point is also wrong. Allen was the starter at SS, he played 56 of 61 snaps

Golden played only 24 snaps

11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    If Golden was so great, we wouldn't have drafted a safety in the second round. That's how bad we felt the need was. Golden is a backup at best. He may start; but by season's end, Davis will be the one who's had the most snaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Brilliant logic there :facepalm:

Yes, thats the gist of it, what we've been saying. Welcome to the party.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Brilliant logic here from the same person who ask me, " How's it going to feel when we don't take a cornerback in the first round." :facepalm:

No reason that Davis can't start from day 1. He's just as good as burnt toast Golden right now. :rolleyes:

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Liar. I said if you want immediate impact player, better hope they don't take a CB. Something to that effect.

We'll see who starts.

15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    We finished 30th out of 32 teams in passing defense. Davis can be no worse then what we had last year. But at least he has the upside to be better by season's end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Black hole, black hole, black hole...

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thank you. Have to keep reminding myself that.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    a reference dr. wallace used during that fumble. :facepalm::smiley1::cool:

19. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Golden played 40% of defensive snaps. When Golden was on the field he lined up at SS while Allen played close to the line like a nickelback.

Golden didn't get much time because he got embarrassed by Gronkowski early.

Your argument that Golden can somehow match up with Reed is dumb.

20. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yes, 24 out of 61 is about 40%, I'm thrilled you were able to get something right in this conversation

Rookie Sean Davis will do better.

I'll crown you the king of the internet if you can find this quote.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Is it just me, or does it seem like we've got vigorous debate going on about whether Golden can/will do an "OK" job as a short term starter or a "passable" job as a short term starter? I don't think anyone is saying he's our long term solution...

22. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Found it.

I inferred that Golden would do a much better job defending TEs.

23. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    blackhole, blackhole, blackhole........

24. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    You inferred poorly.

25. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Davis wont start game 1. I'll legitimately 2:1 this up to 100 bucks.