1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Maryland CB Sean Davis

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 17, 2016.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sean Davis was actually top 3 in my safety rankings; right behind Justin Simmons and Karl Joseph. More importantly, Pittsburgh wanted a safety who can cover tight ends. Being a player who has the hips and functional strength, Davis should have little to no problem cracking the lineup considering that Robert Golden; while smart, is a decent athlete.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thousand times this. Steelers build with one eye on the future. Hopefully Burns and Davis will be contributing in the second half, I expect limited snaps in the first half of the season.

They drafted Hargrave who will make much more of an impact on the line, thus making life easier for our DB's. Im most excited about that pick then any other. Long term, the Davis pick has me pumped, I loved Eric Rowe last year for his dual abilities, I think Rowe is better at it then Davis presently but I think he can be coached up to reach his potential.

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Giants picked Landon Collins in the second round 2015, he started at SS day one, recorded 112 combined tackles a forced fumble and a pick not a great cover safety but at strong he made plenty of tackles good enough to be their starter again this year, were not talking rocket science here, Davis can handle the safety position game 1, he is big like collins in fact he is taller, faster than collins, and can bang with the best of them, also he can cover receivers a lot better than collins, those of you that dont think he will start any games this year, i'll predict he will start some games this year if not game 1....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    If you think Landon Collins 3 years of starting in the Alabama defense at SS is comparable to Sean Davis starting at CB for most of last season.... that's your choice. I happen to think that the coaching, scheme/playbook experience, and development that you get from Nick Saban is just a bit different than what you get at Maryland. And playing a different position than the one you are being targeted for in the NFL (for the final year of your college development) has an impact on your readiness. Call me crazy.

Starting early in the NFL is not about size and speed... we're not talking rocket science, but we are talking NFL playbooks, NFL schemes, and NFL level competition.

There's a 0% chance that Davis starts day 1.
    Could he learn and earn the job at some point in the season, potentially. But he's got a lot of work to do to prove he's not a coverage liability.

5. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Or just to be more simple with it, Tomlin rarely starts any rookie day one. For any reason. Good or bad.

I wouldn't apply that 0% to the entire 16 game season just yet though. The only 0% thats true at this point is 0% of us know how exactly how its gonna go down while these prospects are healthy and we're not even into mini-camps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I get that people are excited and want to see them playing right away but they also forget how quickly blown coverages lead to big gains and TDs. Only have to go back to the NE game last season to refresh their memory.

I agree, zero % chance day 1. Possibly mid season starter if all goes well.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    While I agree that Davis won't (and should not) start Day 1. Unless we make another addition to the safety position (gasp... please no Will Allen), we are 1 injury away from Davis, Thomas or perhaps Grant being the next man up.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  9. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I too think Davis starts at SS from game one. Why? What are our options? Will Allen? Please. And the match up is tailor made for him to do well. Because I dont think Cousins is all that great a QB, nor do I think the redskins Offensive line is that stout. And if need be, I'm not afraid of allowing Davis to match up on their TE Reed.

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I feel pretty certain that Golden starts day 1 unless he gets injured (or we pick up another veteran). He played pretty well last year when called upon - far better than Allen IMO. I feel a bit bad for him, because it's inevitable that he'll give up a play or two, and some impatient, unrealistic fans will think that Davis can just step in and dominate because of his physical traits, and start calling for Golden to be benched.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You mean 6 foot players aren't automatic Hall of Famers that excel from day 1? :eek:

Thats befuddling, was so sure they were from listening to others here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Davis racked up about 230 tackles in the two seasons he started at safety with a couple of picks, he was put in at corner due to injuries and still had a good year; Tomlin seems to think he will have 3 rookie starters on defense this year:

http://www.thescore.com/news/1019171

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That article makes me laugh. The two rookie DB's, who are less NFL ready and have more accomplished players ahead of them will start but Hargrave, who has an easier position to break into and has a player that by no means has locked the position down in front of him will have a harder time starting.

Funny stuff.

Wouldn't read too much into Tomlin's statement, either, just building their confidence but at the same time, said they have to earn it. Didn't say the position will be handed to them. Hes just motivating them, telling them to go fight for it.

14. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    You are the king of straw man arguments.

15. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Everyone who has said there is a 0% chance that Davis starts day 1 makes me laugh.

It is unlikely that Davis will start day 1 but it is not impossible.

It's probably a 10% chance which is too bad because I would love to rub that arrogant 0% chance statement in everyone's face if Davis does start day 1.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Another laughable statement by Morris, you're on a roll lately. Playing the contraian quite well :applaud:

17. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    What did you think the relevance of the tackle stats was?

That's a nice Tomlin quote... what did you expect him to say, "Rookies have no change to start"?

18. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Are you even remotely familiar with the Redskins? Or are you just trying to be as wrong as possible?

Jordan Reed
    2nd in receptions
    5th in yards
    2nd in TDs
    4th in 20+ yd plays
    1st in 1st downs

yea... totally, let's stick a rookie who spent last year playing outside corner on one of the games best TEs..... :rolleyes:

Of the QBs with more than 400 attempts last year, here is the list of those that had a better QB Rating than Cousins:
    Russel Wilson, Tom Brady, and Carson Palmer

Their offensive line surrendered a mere 27 sacks last year (that would be good for FOURTH in the NFL), and that was after losing 2 starters in the first 5 weeks. Their line features a franchise/pro bowl LT and a high end Guard in Scherf, along with returning quality starters.

19. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    If it was impossible to beat out Robert Golden then he would have started over Will Allen and the Steelers wouldn't have taken a S in round 2.

If Golden is injured in camp Davis will start.

It really isn't that far fetched.

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Is this a trick question? :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    The only Steeler defender with the size and athletic ability to shadow tight ends is Shazier.

Steelers will emphasize the zone again. Golden saw 40% of defensive snaps against the Patriots when Gronk had 3 TDs.

I don't understand the argument that Davis couldn't start against Jordan Reed as if he would be playing man coverage. It will be disproportionately zone.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We're not talking about injuries, although, I'm not sure Davis starts even then, they would probably try Shamarko first.

No one is implying Golden is the answer, we're implying that a rookie that has never played an NFL down, hasn't even played the position in a year, is going to unseat a veteran in game 1.

Now will it be mid season before he does? Not as sure about that, just what I feel will happen, think thats the soonest but maybe he really impresses and takes the starting job before then. But I give him 0 % chance to start from day 1.

Not sure why people thinking that, ruffles you so much.

23. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

Exactly. Because there is no reason to have to play man defense with Cousins as QB. Only elite QB's would we need to go man coverage. Just more of someone twisting and changing other people's statements to argue with them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Can't wait for RPO's response, you don't even know what you wrote, Dean :lolol:

25. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    The straw man part was you pretending anyone said Davis would be a HOF.

Show me who said anything remotely close to that.

That is the ridiculous straw man you made.

If Tomlin says there is a "realistic chance" the Steelers start 3 rookies on defense I am inclined to believe there is a small chance any 1 of the 3 rookies could start game 1. There is no indication there is a 0% chance.

In the last 3 drafts the Steelers have drafted defense with at least one of the first two picks and all four of those players have started as rookies.

It is more likely than not that Davis will start at some point next season and he has a better chance than the other draft picks based on the little confidence shown in Golden and Shamarko.

I think most people would agree that the more experience a rookie can get before the playoffs the better they will play. I'm pretty sure that would be the only argument anyone would make in favor of starting Davis early.

It has nothing to do with him being a future HOF.