1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Maryland CB Sean Davis

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, there are other stats that others pointed out in other threads. 614 receiving yards allowed and 4 pass interference penalties last year. Credited with giving up 10 TDs in past 2 seasons. The stats giveth, and the stats taketh away.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

You can find bad games, and bad stats on every player drafted, josh norman didnt have a good enough college career to keep him from being drafted in the 5th round, at least Davis has all the physical tools to be a top safety for a long time to come, the only stats that matter now is the ones he makes here, I happen to think he has all the physical traits to be a very good safety......

3. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016

We agree I think. Steelterp and others were only making a point as to why he maybe shouldnt be a corner at the pro level.

Maybe he can. But, eh. I like him as a Safety. Those picks, FF, and sacks can still come about in our system with him at FS

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it all depends on how these guys encompass the NFL experience. will they work hard to get stronger, faster and more knowledgeable. do they become an antonio brown or a johnny manziel? it's there for the taking if they want it. they have come to a very stable organization so we should be able to give them all the tools to excel. it's up to them now. they all have the God given talent. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. Or SS. He has the physical traits to play in the box. His tackling needs work, but he's a very willing tackler, and that's 90% of the battle.

6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

The kid is a ballhawk at the safety position. I'd like Mitchell to come down to the box but I don't trust the kid to be our free safety just yet. So adding a vet free safety would be ideal and ease Davis in would be my preference.

7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Tomlin and Lake both said Davis is a SS.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    And I get that...for now. Like I said, he's not ready to be a FS but ultimately, when he gets enough snaps, that's where I think he can be most effective.

9. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Davis can add 10 pounds of muscle over the next couple years and still be fast.

I think his height could be a disadvantage since he's really 5'9 if you don't count his 7 inch neck haha.

10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Im thinking now that Davis will be the starter in week one at SS. So much for rookies not making an impact and only being eased in. Replace Will Allen and lets get the show on the road. LOL.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Kurt Cousins is a perfect way to break in.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This has been talked about in a different thread but I feel the NFL has become a show me now league. Money has gotten bigger and time smaller, teams want to get more out of these young guys to help the salary cap. I think even here with the Steelers, rookies never use to see the field and now they are starting to ease into getting out there. It would not shock me at all if as many as 3 guys from this draft see the field a lot and maybe more as partial players, jmo.

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Looking at what's out there on him....Loving the tackling and run support he can give. He's got enough of the CB in him to be able to come in and play the TE's that shred this defense as well.

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think biggest key to impatience with developmental players is the most recent CBA allowing players to hit unrestricted free agency after 4 accrued seasons instead of 6. If you have a player that takes time to develop, that player may end up hitting free agency just as you start getting the value for the pick (see Broncos and Osweiler).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Agreed kinda what I was getting at, if a player gets on the field right away and does well the team has 3-4 years with him at a great price. Kinda how the Seahawks were able to build that team, having Wilson play so good at that price was incredible and more and more teams are looking at that imo

16. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I totally agree with this. That's why all the talk I heard on this site by posters the last 6 weeks about rookies not making an impact in the secondary is hog wash. We are not in 1990's any more. Our management has adapted to a different way of doing things and that is getting these young guys schooled up and out there playing.

17. Diamond

May 26, 2012

I think with good coaching a rookie can produce on the field early on, and if a rookie is pro bowling in his first or second season a 4 year UFA doesnt matter, he is going to get whatever the market value is for him, no different than a 6 year UFA teams still have to match offers for a player regardles if it's 4 or 6....

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What do you consider making an impact? Would you consider the impact that Dupree made to be earth shattering?Jarvis made even less impact. Because thats about all the production you will get out of rookie DB's.

No one said they would never see the field, but I guarantee you Burns isn't taking Cockerel or Gays job day one. As for safety, I expect a vet pickup before the season starts unless they see Shamarko as being ready finally.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think golden or grant may be the next guy up if shark doesn't come around first. we had guys in place for dupree which allowed us to ease him in. jarvis won the starting spot right away and lost it twice. (his rookie year and last year)

if davis has the mental capacity to play early he will but the guys that know the defense the best will start. i think that will be golden. grant is an option but i think in year two he could also be another depth option at corner too. alot will depend on shark. :cool:

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks, Mac, forgot about Golden. I'm hoping Grant can give us something but not really figuring on him in the equation until we see what he's got.

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    And this is really my nagging concern with our 1st and 2nd round picks. Both guys have plenty of upside, and may be special players in a couple of years. However, when you watch their tape (if you're inclined to do so), or read the majority of pre draft assessments of these guys, you'll see shortcomings that need to be addressed before they become more impactful in a good way than the guys we already have. I can't count the number of times I've read the word "raw" about Burns since I started my pre draft armchair GMing back in January.

I don't think they were bad picks, but unless they are very fast learners my expectation is that they will be phased in over the season, and they will make some mistakes along the way. IMO if we wanted more Day 1 ready, polished players who fit what we do, we could have taken guys like Fuller and Bell (who I see as more ready, but lower potential). I think (similar to the Dupree pick) our FO has opted to take the higher risk, higher reward angle - and the more that I process that internally, the better I am with it. Folks need to be patient, and 1) not go crazy on the coaches when the rookies aren't getting the majority of the snaps week 1, and 2) not calling the rookies "busts" when they struggle as rookies.

So, what I think will happen is: 1. We will take our youth-related lumps at corner next year, especially if (gasp) our 1 experienced corner gets hurt. 2. To avoid having to take youth-related lumps across the whole secondary, we'll probably see another vet safety signed before camp on a short term deal - unless Shark shows them that he's figured things out during OTAs and mini camp.

Just my thoughts.

22. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Coming out of the draft, my initial thoughts were pretty much the same; Sign a veteran safety and bring Davis along slowly but start Burns covering the "X" receiver. But after listening to Colbert/Tomlin, they plan to have Davis ready to play at the start of the season. They seem to think he has the mental capacity to do it.

23. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    To Quote Carnnel Lakes overview:

Carnell Lake Re: Sean Davis
    We selected Sean Davis in the second round. He is a defensive back from Maryland. He is a really productive player at two positions: safety and corner. He has been really productive in the tackling department. He has a good eye for playing the ball in the passing game. We really look forward to having him in the building. He is going to provide us with a lot of versatility and depth at a needed position, which is a safety for us. That’s where we plan to play him. I think he will do an outstanding job there.

Based on some quick reading on him, they didn’t really designate strong safety and free safety at Maryland. How would you classify him in the way he played there and how you want him to play here?

Well I think in our system he will be required to play both strong safety and free safety. Right now, primarily we will try and plug him in strong safety. Mike Mitchell[​IMG] is primarily our free safety. That is where we will start. I’m assuming he will wind up playing both positions at some point.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thats how we play it too. it's been said many times our safeties know both positions and are flexible in playing both. we don't distinguish one or the other as set positions.

my take is we end up with something like gay and cockrell starting. golson as the nickel. burns as the dime when we go with 4 corners unless there are struggles by someone. frey makes it as a backup in case of injury. he's our vet. grant is the 6th corner. davis and mitchell may start. golden is our vet backup. either grant or shark are the 4th safety. probably shark. both will be ST'ers too. or we keep 3 safeties and grant plays both corner and safety, leaving us an extra spot for another position. a lot could depend on if any other safety or corner shines in preseason. we should keep at least one of each on the PS. my guess anyway. :cool:

25. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I would put the chances of Sean Davis starting at safety in our base nickel or 34 defense at close to 0% chance of happening.