1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvin Lewis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Jan 10, 2019.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Would they even consider hiring the Pittsburgh native as their new defensive coordinator to replace Butler?

"While Lewis may have had his shortcomings in Cincinnati, he still proved to be a phenomenal defensive mind."

"While the Steelers aren't expected to make major changes to it's coaching staff, they would be foolish not to at least reach out to Lewis, who earlier this century presided over one of the top ranked defenses in NFL history."

All these quotes are from the article: https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburg...arvin-Lewis-to-join-coaching-staff-127088994/

2. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    He was the defensive coordinator for the Ravens vaunted defense in 2000. I’d be okay with it I’m tired of Butler. Although he’d probably want a decent bit of money and were already a cash strapped franchise.

We need massive changes in the coaching ranks, but it looks like we’re going to be staying pat. Disappointing because were going to be the same as the last couple years. This has been the problem every year for the last couple years.

3. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I said it in another thread recently, I'd be open to Lewis coming here - as long as he has no say in personnel decisions. Let him run the D and handle week-to-week strategy/adjustments. It would be a HUGE upgrade over Butler.

All of that being said, Butler isn't going anywhere..obviously. And that means that unless we are going deep in FA or are willing to trade big-time in the draft to pick up a few hit-the-road-running studs to instantly upgrade our D (where talent outshines Butler's deficiencies as DC), we're looking at some big disappointments next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Would love Lewis he is an awesome defensive coach but Butler isn't going anyplace so that will not happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    " cashed strapped franchise "?

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    sjromano, I see by your avatar you watched or know about the show, "The masked Singer". I knew it was Tommy Chong on the last show and didn't appreciate Walburg's wife claiming victory because she said cheech:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I was thinking the same thing. The coaches salaries don't count against the cap. It seems like 'the partners' would love the opportunity to throw money at any problem (if money was the issue).

8. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Hilarious. Probably too young to know the difference!

Haven't watched it, but it's obviously gaining attention because of AB.

9. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    Come on you know what I mean. We don’t have much cap space.

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Not being smart...But I don't think Coaches have any bearing whatsoever on tbe Cap

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    I wasn’t either I guess I described it in the wrong way and now that you say that I think your right. Although we are close to hitting our cap if I think I know what I’m talking about.

• Like Like x 2