1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Martavis Bryant...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Daddymac10, Oct 23, 2017.

1. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    He is obviously not happy. I just saw a report that he “called off sick” today and didn’t report for film and post game. Time for a Sunday deactivation. It’s probably time to cut ties with him. They are receiver heavy and Brown is the best in the game. Bryant needs to listen to what the captain told Maverick “your name ain’t the best in the Navy, you need to do things bigger and better”. That means shut up, run the plays they tell you to run and the ball will come your way. It was his choice to make the decision to miss a year and a half. Get open and get the ball.

2. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    If #10 is open on tape then it should be obvious. If #10 is not the 1st read so he takes a play off thinking it’s not coming his way, then he will never get the ball on a second or third read. Work every play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He also through a bad block down field on the Leveon Bell catch and run with the stiff arm, if he had blocked downfield better, bell might have scored on the play.

4. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    The sad thing is that players like Kobi Hamilton and Demarcus Ayers really love the game and always gave 200%. I hated to see them cut this year. Kobi made a couple fantastic catches late in the year last year. Thais guy has been given a spot, even though he missed camp and acts like this.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know if there's anyone on the team that can reach him. It might be too late. Believe it or not I think the best person he could sit down and talk to is Santonio Holmes.....he is heading down a similar path and he can ask him how that turned out....He clearly needs some guidance in his life....

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Bryant was caught off gaurd when Bell split those three defenders, I also didn't imagine that would happen lol. I had really high hopes for Bryant this year but it looks like it's not working out. If he can hang in there and stay clean he could have a lengthy career in the NFL. I still think he's got it, it's just going to happen here I'm afraid.

7. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    A lot of his frustration is likely that this is the last year of his contract. He would have been up last year but the suspension changed that. He’s basically in an audition year leading into free agency next spring. He needs to put up numbers and try to compensate for the fact that he is so far into the discipline process. One fail and he’s gone for another year making him a huge risk for a team. I get it, but the team cannot change its play calling for his sake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's under contract through 2018.

Unless he cranks up voicing his displeasure and really starts rocking the boat, the Steelers have no incentive to move him. He cost next to nothing and can be a vital piece of the offense again.

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Now he called in sick for Team meetings . Someone has already let him know they value him more than the Steelers do. He is doing what he can to get traded . The Team needs to trade him right now and move on.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am really getting tired of his BS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I get that it’s tough that Brown’s game checks are probably more that Bryant makes per year, let alone all the advertising cash he drags in and the game promos. He rolls into camp in a Rolls Royce and is riding high. But, Brown has kept clean and earned what he has. You can’t count other people’s money. In fact Juju makes more than he does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no dude, i'm not way off nor am i making any ridiculous uninformed statements, nor will i give it a rest dude. ben didn't even throw it to DHB for starters. those are just catch numbers. he was targeted 10 times and made 4 catches. the rest of the team had 14 total targets on the day not counting DHB for obvious reasons. AB had 10. you do the math and then tell me how far i'm off. thats 6 other receivers divided by 14 targets. brown had 10. caught 4. thats a 40% reception rate. hows that for information dude. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Get him the hell out of Pittsburgh, he's not Steeler material. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, pal.

At this point I don't even care if we get anyone in return for him, just drop his worthless a**

You can tell JuJu wants to be there, he's having a blast every game, he truly loves his team and the game.

Same with Eli and DHB(even though he's mostly ST)

Start developing Hunter more, maybe he can be a redzone threat.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yet brown can throw a hissy fit and slap the water jug around but martavis wants the ball and he's trouble. wow just wow. we have a team thats loaded with talent on offense and can't score in the red zone. maybe just maybe he has a point. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe if Haley gets his head out of his ass and figures out a way to convert some of our plethoras of 3rd and shorts ,we can extend drives.....run more plays and have more opportunities to spread the ball around...jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He's living up to his scouting report.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hate to think this way and I hope I'm wrong, but does anyone else feel a failed drug test coming on?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Hope you're wrong too but would it be surprising? Nah... I've been around addicts my whole life. Doesn't take much other than a bad few minutes to spiral back out of control. For the record, I was proud of him making his comeback and hope he turns it on/around... But his posts are pretty telling. He's isolated himself... A me vs the world mentality which would be great if he actually applied it to his personal/work ethic, but obviously he's still in blame mode. He put himself in the position and appeared to battle back... Hell he had to just to get to this point, but his coping or patience just isn't there. He's already been on record saying he don't owe anybody an apology and now he's saying he did this all on his own without support etc...

Pretty sure the fact that he was still an employee to begin with means the org stood by him in support.
    He came out mouthing stuff about being peeved at Ben, and then talking smack during the draft to mangled hand, and now ****ting on JuJu. Yeah yeah he deleted his rant and then praised JuJu shortly after. I'm sure he did it of his own volition and wasn't corrected by agents or others in his inner circle telling him to fix that ****.

Like I said earlier, he ain't got it between the ears or in the chest... I applaud his comeback effort on a personal level. His team comeback and kid pouting finger pointing BS is exactly as it appears and sucks but he's shown that's who he is.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Just to play devils advocate here there is something to what Bryant is saying. He isn't being used effectively and a lot of that goes on Haley and some more on Ben.

They had a highlight clip of Bell's day on the Steelers Facebook page and in watching that you can see times that Bryant was pulled on clear running plays because they used Juju and Brown, one for blocking and one in case been saw something and checked out. Other groupings saw 2 TE and Nix with Brown, another had Rogers and Juju with Brown while another group had DHB for at least one play. On at least two play with Bryant his man is five yards off him, gives him a free release inside on a slant with out a linebacker or safety between him and the middle of the field. Those claiming his blocking is half hearted need to watch the Bell catch and run where he stiff arms Kirkpatrick and Bryant is driving his man back better than James and Brown did near the midle of the field.

The plays they are targeting him on are so basic vanilla plays and there is no creative thinking behind it that will enable any player to succeed. They are not drawing the safety or linebacker help off by stacking routes out of that bunch set. Ben who doesn't always make good presnap reads isn't seeing the double or triple coverage on Brown including tight at the line while Bryant has had guys giving him a ten yard cushion and Ben hasn't audibled to a quick three step drop and hit Bryant quick and let him work. Heck have Juju over in the slot and let Bryant and Juju switch with Juju driving towards the sideline and Bryant going towards the middle.

In the redzone if you want the fade to Bryant to work then stack the deck. Put Mac and James in the bunch with Bryant have Bell as a sidecar on the same side. Both TE's drive towards the middle, setting the pick, Bryant gets a few steps without a man on him and Bell can work the same line underneath his route so Ben has options. Fade if it's not there, both TE's over the middle, Bell on a check down or Brown on the back side.

I realize the road to victory runs through Bell bUT there is plays to be made with guys other than Brown if you draw them up right. Stop relying on end arounds, lame go routes and fades for all of his targets.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The guy suffers from clinical depression. I’m not an expert on the subject, but I know or have known a few people who also suffered from depression, and this behavior isn’t surprising to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    AND... Juju is only 20, which you'd think HE would be the immature one... MB needs a reality check.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Lol

DHB was in on 2 snaps that weren't 4th down. He's a liability as a receiver and is on this team for ST only.

There's only one ball and it gets distributed based on play call and potential for success. It's not AB's fault that he's open more than others. And it's also not his fault that Martavis doesn't run full out, can't catch, and plays weak. He gets chances, undeservedly.

To tell you the truth, I think Ben is targeting Martavis too much. Nearly every target to him is a wasted attempt that someone else could do something with.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Good grief.

If MB kept his nose clean and contributed years of production to this team then he would have earned the right to throw a fit now and then. AB has earned that right.

MB is a talented athlete who has selfishly hurt this team by poor decisions. And he's not stopping, apparently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree thus far but also while brown gets his seperation, Ben needs to quit with the double and triple coverage throws to him as well in those situations. Bryant needs to be targeted outside of the home run sideline bomb and stinking end arounds. Need to get creative with his routes... Ultimately, he himself needs to power through his routes either way and quit sloughing off. His speed is still there, but he needs to muscle the other stuff and quit Half hearting his routes.

He can be more than a lid blower offer, just has to want to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Haley could do more to get him involved than end arounds and go routes. That's for damn sure. But if Martavis was showing more dedication on AND off the field, I think he would be getting more consideration in gameplanning...if Haley is actually capable of change.

• Agree Agree x 1