1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Martavis Bryant Trade rumors

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jmos3, Feb 21, 2018.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Gary Dulac speculated in his chat that Bryant would only fetch a 5th rounder in a trade. I suspect that's probably close to right. Since he has limited trade value, you might as well keep him, hope he passes his urine test and keeps his social media discourse under control.

If walks next after next yr, so be it. Yeah, the guy has some upside, and he's teased with his talent, but I suspect the odds of him becoming a top WR are no better than his odds of getting another suspension. His history of dumb-assery goes back to college, and I remain skeptical that he finally 'gets it'.

2. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not too sure if anyone saw this article but I thought it was pretty interesting.. I know that we were weak in our secondary and he could take over Mitchell's spot if/when we release him.. Not too sure though cap wise how this would work but I wouldn't mind this trade... Thoughts???

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=502204

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’d love to have Clinton Dix here, but not sure I’d trade Bryant. Our “stacked” WR corps had a tendency to look pretty thin at times, and Bryant brings pace, footwork and blocking ability.

That said, if Bryant is going to be a PITA about playing time, I’d make the trade for Dix.

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you can get Cointon Dix for Bryant, you need to make deal ASAP before the Packers sober up.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I would do this in a heartbeat, we are talking about a starter vs a #3, 4, or 5 weapon. I am gonna say it will be easier to replace MB than to find a starting S. Let me add I am one who just said not to trade MB but this deal is to good to pass up, jmo

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rhys Lightning 63

Rhys Lightning 63 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Well that’s off the table now. Thanks Obama

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'd do it asap as well... The Packers would be stupid to do it, but that's okay by me too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I can't see the Packers giving up Clinton-dix.

I do think we should trade Bryant. Hes' an issue. But I don't think we should be giving Bryant away either. He is a great weapon.

9. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    No, peters is a side show

10. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I spent three years in Madison Wisconsin. Them folks start drinking in November and don't stop till the end of April. We got some time b4 they sober up

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Better get Bell signed then. Better get at least Justin hunter back. Better make sure McDonald will last more than half a game every couple of games. Better draft a wr fairly early. Better at least get Marcus Tucker up to speed with blocking downfield, returning punts and playing the slot. All with a new WR coach.

Maybe DJ Clark from LSU gets higher on our draft list?

We would miss MB downfield blocking in the run game, he was very good at it. :cool:

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If he is tagged doesn't that mean he is paid top 3 for his position? Wouldn't that throw our salary cap out of whack

depending on what is done with Bell?

14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I mentioned this about a month ago in the Bill Nunn draft room. We have to move him KColbert can evaluate the WR position.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Top 5. Of course this would be next year with Bell at 14.5 mil. not still looming. We would hold the rights to him that way and he wouldn't just become a FA. We could listen to offers at that point. Especially if he has a big year this year while still cheap. :cool:

16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Unless we are looking to trade for a S of ILB like what is being reported(not sure how true) I am not in favor of just trading MB for the sake of getting something for him. However I am not worried about a replacement for him either, the Steelers have shown they have the golden touch when it comes to the WR spot. I am not sure what the FA market is like for guys like Decker, Moncrief and even Pryor. I am thinking the top dogs in FA are Richardson, Robinson, Watkins and maybe Lee so maybe we would be able to find a cheap replacement. Also there are a few nice WR's in the draft, like you mentioned DJ Chark had a very good Senior bowl as did Lazard both of which I think could fill the role left by MB.

Let's not forget without MB that would mean more of Juju and we all saw how good he can do blocking downfield. If we sign Bell and depending what we do with Vance MB could become the odd man out, but still an important weapon.

17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    “The Steelers regret that they have but one tag to give.”

18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Suppose you decide to tag Bryant after next yr. What if the clown signs it? You get to pay a guy who's been top 50 statistically, top 5 money. He'll need to have a huge 2018 to justify that.

19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    No way the Steelers will spend that much money at the WR position. We have already saw this with Mike Wallace/ Manny Sanders.
    By the time JUJU rookie contract is up AB's will too, JU JU will be making the BIG Money.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    This year we would have juju and MB cheap. Next year juju would still be cheap. If we want to give Ben the best players to work with it will cost money. We have a small window to do that before we blow it all up. I'm not buying the Steelers have a magic touch when it comes to receivers either, that could all end. We used to have that touch with LBers too and now not quite as much. New coach too. There are also different tags we could use, such as the transition tag where we could at least get a draft pick if someone else would sign MB next year. It all depends on Bell and the season MB has this year. If we lose Bell, that's 14.4 mil. We won't be paying out next year. We would have some money to put towards someone like MB if he delivers the goods. Better than just letting him walk away with nothing but a comp pick the following year.:cool:

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bryant wasn't a issue by end of the season, you probably won't get much in return other than a late round pick. The Steelers don't have that much depth at WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I saw that. I think is too good to be true. If true, a huge sweetener from us would have to be thrown in IMO, like a draft pick. I can see the Packers thinking here. Aaron Rodgers can get the ball to him. It could turn out to be a big plus for them.

23. new game

new game New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    No way it'd be a one for one swap with Clinton Dix and MB. Would be an awesome steal, but we'd have to give up a pretty decent draft pick(s) with him.

Honestly, I want MB and his toxicity gone for anything they can get, even if it's a 4th rounder.

24. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think you look for a guy say in the range of 3rd-5th round who is available at a pick with someone who wants Bryant. You move Bryant and draft the guy sitting there at the pick. Yes, it makes us younger and maybe less reliable at the WR position, but I think we also need to go out and sign a vet. DHB and Rogers fight for spot 5 on the team. And I think we probably only keep 5 this year. Brown, JuJu, Vet, Draft Pick, and winner of that battle. The WR you bring in cannot be Hunter who cannot contribute, you need a guy who can half way play the game. With MacDonald and Bell, you basically need 3 WR who can play and I think that work for us.

25. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Forget the rumors, good call colbert.

• Like Like x 2