1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Martavis Bryant is scared

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Terrible Towelie, Dec 10, 2017.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    serious question. Is Matavis' YAC positive this year? Not only does he go down immediately after the reception most of the time, he has this habit of going backward after the catch on the rare occasions he isn't downed immediately.

I don't know that he half assing, but he sure does look like he knows what's going on a lot of the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Its not even his catching ability as much as its his lack of freaking effort. I'm not sure if it's a confidence thing or what the hell it is....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think Bryant is a #2...

His rookie year he wasn't on the outside going up against the other teams best corner.

He was in the slot going against a #3 or 4 corner half his height who he was able to blow by in 3 steps.

4. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Steelers should make a play for him in the offseason and insert him at corner. :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    It’s a live ball after ten yards. Way easier to control it if you catch it, v. letting it go past you into the end zone and chasing after it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  7. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Watching Martavis return kicks is embarrassing and somewhat comical.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think this may be the reason, and not because he's not trying. I think he has some serious questions about his own ability.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
  10. 65Toss-Power-Trap

65Toss-Power-Trap Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Here is what I see: Bryant jogging on every play. Falling down on the first touch by a defender, and jogging out of bounds after every 4 yard catch on an out pattern.

Sit his ass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hollywoodbags68

Hollywoodbags68 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    This. His teammates and coaches don't seem to think effort is the issue. He is a tall guy with long strides and sometimes it looks like those kinds of athletes are dogging it because of how they carry their body.

I just think the guy is extremely stupid and just has no awareness of what he supposed to be doing half the time. He was at his best a couple of years ago when Ben would just throw it up for grabs long and let him run under it

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  13. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Agreed, yet they keep putting in him positions to fail - miserably. He looks totally lost if he has to make a cutback. That just isn't his forte anymore. Whether its confidence, or just eroded skillset - who knows - but that's why I phrased the term 'he runs like a concussed giraffe' about him a few weeks back. I cringe every time I see them end-around with him, or a drag route in traffic.

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup he needs a slant or a crossing route where he doesn't have to chop his feet. His stride is too long for that and when he has to lean it's easy to cut his legs out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think new scenery will help out both sides, time to move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Any kickoff that goes in the end zone we should just down it and take it on the 25. Too many times starting around the ten. Tomlin needs to tell that gum chewing midget danny smith to tell his return team not to block anyone in the back.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Was gonna post "give him #20 and make him cover gronk all game. Give him all his incentives if gronk never scores or converts"

18. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    By page 3 you'll want to cut him!

But I agree. No more kickoff returns please

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 65Toss-Power-Trap

Oct 23, 2017
    My posts are all over the place, and overly emotional, BUT you will find they have a certain symmetry. He DID catch everything thrown his way, BUT AFTER he caught it, he jogged out of bounds. He was beyond horrible on kickoff returns, BUT he ran one back vs the Bengals for a TD that should have stood if not for a phantom holding call. Up and down, but he needs to sit because he isn't giving 100% on every play.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  21. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Believe me, I am also over emotional at times too, that's why they call us fan(atics) right?

No, I wasn't saying you were illogical at all, nor contradictory . I was just kind if jokingly taking the next logical step in the progression of your posts.

Most of my posts are just weak attempts to crack a joke. There are plenty of people here whom I freely admit know more about football than me.

I (mostly) enjoy your posts. I'm from Philly area, and have a lot of Temple University connections, so guess which ones I didn't enjoy so much?...lol! :hmm:

22. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We did what we had to do. Now JuJu is back.

23. 65Toss-Power-Trap

Oct 23, 2017
    I'm a Penn State fan and I watched that kid beat us nearly single handedly in 2015. I was overly harsh in my criticism of him, which is why I offered the official apology. He indeed belongs on that field, because while he got smoked against the Bengals, he is freaking Jack Lambert compared to that trifecta of suck we ran out there against the Ravens.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    MB had 6 catches on 10 targets against the rats for 5.5 average, but those 4 he dropped had ben shaking his head, for whatever reason bryant does seem to lack concentration, 2 TDs on the year isnt the production he promised when he was training during his 1 year suspension, understanding he would have rust early on, but after 13 games he should be making big plays by now, it's a shame to watch him waste all that talent looking more like limas sweed than a serious W/R threat....