1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Markus Wheaton to many snaps

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven't seen anyone absolve Ben of those throws nor anyone trash Bryant.

I don't think it can be argued that the guy has to be more aggressive with the ball. I was concerned about that before the Titans game. He's made one great catch so far, the one he hauled in at the back of the endzone and crashed into the wall. All the others have been easy catches.

I'm excited about Bryant, but to get better, he'll need to attack the football more.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree. I think a little blame can be placed on each of them. As far as Wheaton goes I think he is and will be fine. Sometimes it just takes guys a little bit longer. All the skills are there ,I think he just needs more experience.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not sure why MW& #7 can't get it together?
    Ryan Clark comment last year about MW i believe
    in what Ryan Clark has to say. He will come around.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

5. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    First, on the deep play in the end zone, I do not expect many receivers to catch that poorly delivered pass. Bryant had the guy severely beat and the throw was horrible. Hard to adjust to a ball when you have to basically stop and then the defender can catch up. If it was easy, hail-mary passes would be much more successful.

Ben also missed a totally wide open Archer when he had plenty of time.

I think Ben should work with all his receivers more - sort of like Manning did with Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, etc. all the time to ensure they are on the same page. They need to do this on their own time due to the CBA. Many receivers need this - not all get on the same page automatically like AB or Hines did. Ben and Sanders were not always on the same page either.

6. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes.

The success of our offense as a whole begins and ends with our QB, with an assist from the OL, but even spotty protection can be overcome. Our offense has been maddeningly inconsistent for the past 10 years, and the main constant is our QB. With the Mount Everest highs come the Death Valley lows.

As for Wheaton, the dude is very talented and is a perfect slot WR. I think his snap count is about right, but should come off the LOS where he is protected by a built-in cushion. He can be a dangerous weapon, so it doesn't make sense to take him off the field any more than we already do.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Do I remember reading that Ben was doing this in or before camp? I'm sure I saw something to that effect.

Still, you're right. The reason that Ben and AB work so well is that they have that chemistry. Once Wheaton gets fully on the same page, this corps is going to be very dangerous.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The receiver core is a strength on this team. Nice problem to have.

Bryant's not ready yet for that #2 spot. A rook, raw. A diamond in the rough and his contributions so far have been good.

Wheaton should be getting the reps. He is the #2. The kid is good, sure some of his inconsistency issues are a bit of a concern. He is aware and is trying to rectify it. And has admitted so. He will be fine.

9. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben is elite and a proven winner but c'mon guys, that ball to Bryant was severely late..

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He was, with JB and Moye, can't recall who else was with him, maybe Wheaton was there too.

11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    People can try to blame Ben on that TD pass that wasn't (it wasn't a good throw), but any of the top WR's in the league make that play pretty easily. That's the type of talent Bryant has, and soon enough hopefully we start to expect plays like that to be made instead of making excuses for why it wasn't made. I think he can get there.

Also for the OP, I just can't get behind taking snaps from Wheaton to give them to DHB. Wheaton had more catches and yards in the opener vs Cleveland than DHB has all season. Wheaton is seeing his first real playing time this season, and despite being inconsistent at times, has really shown a lot IMO. He's got good speed and really good hands. DHB is a vet. He is what he is... A decent WR5 who plays gunner on ST's. He has good speed and size, but terrible hands. At this point of his career, none of those things are gonna change. IMO Wheaton should be sharing WR2 duties with Bryant until MB is ready to be the full time #2. Then he should be the clear #3 option.

12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben has been averaging just over 36 passing attempts per game

AB has been targeted 11 times per game
    Heath 5
    Bell 7
    Now, IMHO the number of targets for each of these three should be more. Either way, that leaves 13 passing attempts per game. So, I'd give Wheaton and Bryant 6 apiece. Maybe 1 pass attempt per game to someone else, just not James Harrison. Bottom line, if they get equal targets per game, the discussion between who is 2 and who is 3 is unnecessary.

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Derek Moye would have caught that ball! :eek: :lolol:

In all seriousness, I do agree that Ben was extremely late in delivering the ball, but I didn't think Bryant made an aggressive move back toward the ball either. AB talks a lot about "attacking" the ball and Bryant was a little lackadaisical in coming back for it. At the very least, he may have drawn a PI from the DB.

14. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012

WATCH YO MOUFF