1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersFanFromTX, Aug 23, 2016.

1. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
    At the risk of being filleted for suggesting such a thing, it looks like Butt Fumble is no lock to make the Broncos roster. I view him as an upgrade over Jones(which isn't saying a lot). Any chance we take a look? He could manage some games if Ben goes down, and has some experience winning in the post season.

Admittedly, it would be quite an indictment if he is bypassed by two dudes that have never thrown a regular season pass in the NFL.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I personally feel Sanchez would be an upgrade over Landry. The kid just needs some confidence. He is probably over thinking his game. He played fairly decent as a rookie. And definitely Sanchez over Vick. Heck, too bad we didn't kick the tires on Christian Ponder.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I'm up for anyone playing backup and giving landry some competition.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wait a week or so some of these guys will be back on the street. If they were looking for a 3rd string QB and felt like making a trade was the way to go I'd approach the Rams about Mannion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    We have one of the top 5 QBs on the planet. And then we don't have another QB in the top 150 or so. There should be several cuts worthy of our #3 (and probably #2 but that isn't going to happen).

6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It depends on Sanchez`s attitude. If Sanchez is done with his dream of being a starter in the NFL and wants to be a backup with us, let him come in and fight for the #2 spot. Like other posters, I think he could be an upgrade over Jones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012

Anyone? Sign me up.. I know i can get 4 interceptions in a half if not 5. Move over Jones'ee :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You can bring in Sanchez if you want. Maybe it makes this team marginally better at backup QB, maybe it doesn't. He comes here, Ben goes down, Sanchez plays like Sanchez, and we're having the same discussion that we're having on several threads - only the words "Landry Jones" are replaced by "Mark Sanchez".

The point for me is: unless your starting QB stinks (and Ben doesn't), the drop off between starter and backup is huge. Anyone that you can realistically bring in will not make much difference. If Ben goes down for half the season, nobody is going to salvage it. Look at the other rosters and their backups, there's very little to excited about. You can hate Landry, you can replace him, but no matter who it is, he'll be a big drop off from Ben.

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with the point of being a big drop off from Ben all will agree...I think the bigger problem is a lot of Teams now have their future QB'S as #2's or #3's and we do not ....Jones may or may not can win a few games if the rest of the Team plays great, but he for sure is not the future either .. I have been wanting a late round QB the last 2 or 3 drafts and we have just held pat with Jones that is a bitter pill to swallow knowing that the only future guy is Jones..Would be nice to just have some hope at the position...

10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The future QB is not on this team now.

If you believe that Ben has 3-4 yrs left, there's no reason for the future QB to be here now. Even drafting him next yr is likely a mistake. You draft a QB high and he's good, he gets impatient and leaves and you've wasted a high pick you could have used to help this team win a title. You draft A QB high and he stinks, you've wasted a high pick you could have used to help this team win a title.

The perfect backup QB for this team now, is a guy like Grad or Batch, who has experience, who's started some, but knows he can't start anymore, and is happy to be the backup. Young guys either don't develop or do and want to get their chance.

Drafting Jones was probably a mistake. You needed help elsewhere and you couldn't develop him. But he's here, he has some experience, he may be the best option.

The 2018 draft is the time to grab a 1st or 2nd round QB of the future. To do it in the 2013 draft was just dumb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, because the FO doesn't feel the same way about Jones as the fans do. Afan is right, bring in any backup you want, in time, you will all be talking about him as you do Landry.

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Valid points , but I think 2018 is to long ...Ben has took a beating over his career so my time line for him is 2 or 3 seasons 4 at the most ...I would like to have his replacement learning from him as much as possible and maybe a Vet to play if we need for a game or 2...This is the ideal situation to me...IMO when we realized that Jones would not be that guy we should have got another young guy...For me that was 2 years ago...

13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    y

Blast, what makes you think the FO doesn't feel the same. Didn't they bring in Vick and didn't he play over Jones last year for 2 games or did Jones get hurt? I actually don't remember the reason why Vick started those couple of games.

Still think Jones is not the answer though.

14. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    We'll just have to keep him hidden from all BUTT PIRATES he'll be ok then

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They brought in Vick when Grad got hurt. There was no way that they were going to start Jones over Vick, Vick was handed that job based off his status as a vet and experience.

The fact that Jones is still here and they haven't brought in any other vets tells me they are fine with him.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Can you imagine going through the rest of your life being known as Butt Fumble? :lolol:

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    last i heard he was leading the pack in denver.

vick started over jones because he was a vet and then jones outplayed him and won the spot. :cool:

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see Denver cutting Sanchez, he's their only QB who has NFL starting experience.

19. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Yeah. I don't understand how we're content with Landry Jones when somebody like Christian Ponder was available. What frustrates me is that our coaches/front office seem to be content with Landry Jones. What are they seeing that we're not? Did they catch the first half last Thursday? Dude is terrible. His third year in our system and he put up worse stats than Johnny Football did in his rookie campaign. He's bad. Really, really bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I think we are all intelligent enough to understand our backup isn't gonna be Ben's equal. Still, you expect your backup to be competent. Like Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich competent. What you don't want is that helpless feeling that you've got a guy one step removed from the starter's spot who you have more confidence will throw a pick-six than complete a five-yard out (which is what we've got now -- at least for me, anyways).

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Byron Leftwich was capable? When before he got to Pittsburgh maybe but he was always on par with every other back up they had. Brian St. Pierre had a long career as a back up in Pittsburgh and never really saw a meaningful game or had to win one but suddenly now since last season we need to get a 2 tier starter capable backup or else we are doomed? There aren't many at the QB position like Charlie Batch who realized their best shot at playing football is as a backup and being ready to go at a moments notice. Most still have a big head and visions of starting so getting one to take a job even when its pretty much guaranteed that Ben will miss at least one quarter each year is no easy task. I'd also add that Christian Ponder will be back on the street by the first week. He is basically the same as Jones only with more in game experience and worse consistency. He could have been something before his confidence was shattered in Minnesota.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    There is no need to rush judgement on a back up QB at this very moment. Many cuts are coming and a decent one may fall to us. Why rush out and get the lowest hanging fruit right now?

23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, don't have to move now with a backup QB, wait for the cuts and get the best that's left. As long as they still do something.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mark Sanchez will never see his dream fulfilled, but how would you have liked his last 7-8 yrs? Probably made
    in excess of 20 million to be a BU QB. It maybe time to get on with his lifes work? He makes too many dumb mistakes
    on the field for my liking. Alas Landry Jones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I dunno... carrying a clipboard looks like it can be damn hard work.