1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Marcus Williams S Utah

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Feb 10, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Quickly becoming my favorite Safety prospect this year. One reason I loved Boston College's Justin Simmons last year was because of his sure tackling. Marcus Williams has that same trait. Definitely a guy to watch for at the combine. It would probably take our second rounder to get him. FS with ball skills and range and puts in the time watching film. Sign me up.

Clev. Browns article but still a good one:
    http://dawgpounddaily.com/2016/12/27/cleveland-browns-bowl-watch-utah-safety-marcus-williams/

highlight reel

• Like Like x 2
  2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I have no problem drafting a S in this draft. The problem I am having is knowing what order to take things in. OLB is a need for sure. CB may be the surprise pick again this year. ILB is something we at least need to consider. To me finishing the rebuild of this D is huge. Yes, I can see the need for covering for WR in case Bryant fails again, RB in case Williams doesn't come back, and TE in case Green gets hurt, but to me D is the priority. I think we have to hope that Green and Bryant succeed and we bring Williams back or sign a UFA at the position. If that happens, this draft can be MOSTLY about D. ILB, OLB, CB, S, and NT who can play end when we go to the hybrid 4/3 we run.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It would be hard to argue with taking the BPA on our board at any of those positions on D. Depending on the faith they have or inside information we have on the realistic status of Bryant and Green I could see those positions being addressed early too. They need a viable backup RB as well ,DWill is just too injury prone at this point...Toussaint nothing else to say....hopefully KW can be that but he has big ???? as well.
    We have pretty glaring holes at OLB and CB so whatever position we pick first.....we better be right.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like williams. speed is the main thing about the safety spot this year in this draft. no burners for sure.

i mentioned in another thread about some of our futures picks. 3 of them came from the same draft cockrell and then we added dixon and ducre. hilton was a FS that played with golson at mississippi. then there is shabazz.

dixon, ducre and hilton can run along with cockrell, burns and davis. we knew shamarko could move. it looks to me that this seems to be a trend in us picking up players for the Dbackfield to get faster. golson is not slow either and neither is gilbert. shabazz not so much but he seems to have playing speed. i thought he may actually move to safety this year.

to sum it up, we sure seem to be trending towards speed and i don't see alot of it at the safety spot this year. we just may turn to some of these futures guys over draft picks this year. guys with not a lot but some nfl training over rookies. maybe we find a couple of gems like cockrell and use those draft picks on other positions.:cool:

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    also i don't see glaring holes at ILB. shazier and williams as starters and dirty red and fort hopefully as backups. i would expect some UDFA's to be brought in or as i said a guy like harvey-clemons around the 5th round as a hybrid type guy to bulk up some and make the move from SS. :cool:

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah we have been putting a lot of emphasis on speed in our drafts and our futures.....Too bad we are using that speed going the wrong way. I think maybe we should start scouting guys with the slowest backpedal this way they can stay closer to the WRs :hehehe:

7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I could see us waiting another year to draft an ILB, but only if Timmons is brought back.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have been watching him also, he is intriguing for sure

9. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Great cover FS. Not sure if he can tackle.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he has averaged 63 tackles per year.

there are a couple of others that could be had later too. ford from auburn. woods from la.tech. edwards from cinci. all pretty decent safeties. :cool:

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He was very highly rated by PFF and was #1 Safety after 3 weeks. He only missed 3 tackles in 2016. He's not an enforcer type back there, but I could care less. He doesn't have that body type anyway. I'll take a sure tackler protecting the back end anytime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Nice to see this thread. I've been thinking getting him in the 2nd would be awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    We need an upgrade although I believe Mitchell will be starting in 2017. They also opened contract talks with Timmons. Yea, looking to get faster :facepalm:

14. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Sean Davis has shown he can handle that role

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have him pegged in the second also.

16. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Marcus is in my Top 5 favorite safeties.

17. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    PFF gave Gay our highest cb rating this year, and he was awful. I dont trust them for ****.

I like Marcus a lot though. Ive seen his tape. Just not the ones where he made a lot of tackles.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017