1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Marcus Gilbert Appreciation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MorrisFoster, Feb 13, 2016.

1. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    All credit to Marcus Gilbert for Probowl caliber season. Gilbert improved hugely from 2014 to 2015.

In the 2 games against the Broncos Von Miller's stat line was 0 sacks 2 tackles.

Gilbert's play has elevated the Steelers OL. The right side of that line with Gilbert and Decastro is probably the best in the NFL right now.

Imagine how good the Steelers OL will look next year with Pouncey back.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Toss in another year of experience for AV and yes the OL should be very good.

Now if we can find even a smidgeon more pass defense and I think we have a very good team.

If we can stay healthy........

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. I was critical of the size of the contract he was given, but IMO he grew into that contract in 2015. He's easily one of the 3 or 4 best RTs in the game right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    munchak :bowdown:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Here's to you Gilbert and your improved footwork

thumbsup.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He has gotten better every year. Great year for him this past season. Let's hope he keeps it up!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Until Gilbert rolls him up again

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, good job, Gilbert :applaud:

Munch said that Gilbert was entering the time frame where it starts to click for lineman.

I wonder what will become of Adams, it was a back injury that sidelined him, wasn't it? I was hopeful Munch would get him going too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I say they will give up on Adams. You think he makes the team next year?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I like Adams. He's a good run blocker and plays with a streak. At the start of last year I thought he was pretty even with Gilbert.

I'd like Adams to stay. I still think he has a lot of potential. See what he can do with Munch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I'm glad to see the gator hasn't scaled back

12. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup. Props to Gilbert and him putting in the work to get nice and svelte to improve his game. When many OL balloon out in size, he's leaned up and become one of the best tackles in the business.

• Like Like x 1
  13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    If Munch can't fix him then the dude is not fixable. I'd say that for sure.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

He will be with the team in 2016. I can't imagine he's finally going to put it all together , but stranger things have happened

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he will be on the team. If nothing else, he's a good back up but he lost a season of tutelage under Munch, who knows how much further along he'd be now. I agree with Morris, he and Gilbert were neck and neck and look how much Gilbert improved last season.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd rather munch put in the time on AV than on adams. adams with a bad back and able to do very little for a year is not what i would hope for to be the backup. especially with being paid 2nd rd. money. i'd rather see stingley signed to a minimum deal and keep munch working with gilbert and AV full time. i do think hubbard has made strides under munch too. stingley is a vet and already has some time under munch. :cool:

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That's a good point about the 2nd round. I definitely say we haven't gotten our money's worth out of him. The only question is was there a better lineman option at the time than him? Also do you think Munch will have a say in who we draft if we do take another lineman or do you think it will be all Tomlin and Colbert?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about paying him second round money since he's a free agent and has done very little in his time here. If Adams is on the team it's not gonna take any more time with Munch away then any other OL player that would be at his place.
    With the exception of AV Adams has more upside than any of those guys you mentioned.

If he's healed up from the back surgery and clears a physical then I think it would be smart to try and re-sign him for depth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Of course Munch will have a say so, he's the only coach with the knowledge that can evaluate Oline talent, tomlin cant even spell Oline...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelers412

Steelers412 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2015
    :clapping:

I will have to add this to the list of words Tomlin can't spell.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Being a 2nd rd pick won't affect the amount of his next contract, he'll come cheap.

A lot of people were saying Gilbert sucked eggs and should be kicked to the curb, look at how that turned out. They should keep Adams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you suggesting we should keep Adams so he can suck eggs since Gilbert isn't? Or are you still thinking he can/will improve? If you think he will get better, just out of curiousity, what are you basing your optimism on? Munch?

23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Is fourth string running back on that list? Lol

Sorry bud, couldn't help myself

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    There's literally no downside to keeping Adams. He's on the roster, might as well see if he can get better... If Munchak can help him, sweet. If not, we cut him and get someone else who can the following year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I thought he is a free agent?