1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Manziel As Brady's Backup?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by steelersfan35, Mar 14, 2018.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    He recently expressed an interest as being Tom Brady's backup. But, it probably won't happen because most of the NFL has given up on Manziel. It's quite unfortunate, but it's his own fault. He might end up on a CFL roster, unless if an NFL team gives him another chance.

Now, if the Patriots do sign him, then do you think Brady would be a good mentor for him? I mean, he was drafted by the Browns and had off the field issues, so maybe a change of scenery and having an excellent mentor would do the trick? He also said that he was sober and ready to make a comeback, but is the damage already done? Furthermore, the Eagles gave Vick another chance even though he was involved with dog fighting, so what would be worse in your opinion:

Dog fighting or Partying?

On an extra note, if you only had to choose one, would you rather sign Manziel or Kaepernick?

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Ryan Leaf.

Vick had already proved he could play in the NFL (albeit with mixed results) where Johnny hasn't proven a thing other than to be an egomaniac immature jerk. I don't see Manziel ever dressing up for an NFL game again. While not a fan of Brady, I couldn't see him letting Manziel even hold his jock let alone mentoring him. While character standards in pro-sports seems to be at a very low level, at least they've done the right thing so far with Johnny and Krappy - completely ignore them.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    On an extra note, if you only had to choose one, would you rather sign Manziel or Kaepernick?[/QUOTE]
    "Ah yes, I remember. I had the lasagna."

4. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    "Ah yes, I remember. I had the lasagna."[/QUOTE]

Kaepernick.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Johnny Football better head to Canada.Make some money for his smoke show wife.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Lololol. I am officially expressing interest in being Brady's backup next year too. To me and Johnny Football it means a lot. To Brady and the Pats its "Who?" There's no way Brady has any interest in trying to mentor that ******* and there's no way The Hoodie takes on that distraction. JF brings absolutely nothing to the Pats. Zero, zilch, zip, nada, which coincidentally is exactly what I can offer them too.

And Id take Kap 9 days a week over JF.

7. steelersfan35

Oct 28, 2016
    Well, I can obviously tell that most of you aren't into 2nd chances because both of them are still unemployed ATM.

The thing is that just because someone had a bad past doesn't mean that you should just write them off for good. Why not give 2nd chances? I mean, if he blows his 2nd chance, then he's done for good. They even gave the Vick a 2nd chance just because he proved himself. Manziel didn't prove himself, and then got in trouble. I mean, if Osweiler and Glennon signed contracts, why not Kaep or Manziel? Not even an offseason tryout or preseason competition? Trust me, both of them still have a shot for a backup position. But hey, being a backup is better than being unemployed. And let's not get into the whole "national anthem kneeling" conversation again?

Overall, the NFL is quite an interesting place: Foles, Keenum, Bortles, and Brady in the AFC/NFC championship, Butler getting benched in the SB, Cutler beating Brady with the Dolphins, and it will go on until the end of time.

On an extra note, the Browns will become good someday because all teams go through growing pains. The Browns made it to 3 AFC championship games, but unfortunately, they lost all 3 of them. Which makes me wonder, what if the Browns actually made it to the Super Bowl all 3 times? It's the whole what if factor of the NFL. I mean, what if Brady didn't get drafted by New England? Cleveland and Pittsburgh both had chance to pick him, but look where he ended up...

8. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I think Johnny due to popularity will end up on someone's roster and when he played in his brief stint he wasn't that bad honestly considering the circumstances. Was on a bad browns team and he wasn't 100% focused so one could assume with a good team and his head solely focused on football what he could produce.

9. steelersfan35

Oct 28, 2016
    I agree with you, glad someone finally gets it.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just as I suspected

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If the hoodie sees something in Johnny he likes, he will bring him in & kick the tires.

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Johnny didn't look terrible all things no known and considered. Kaepernick showed reduction in ability... Probably more mental than physical honestly. He became the poster boy for something and I'm sure that stymied his dedication... But he fell off before taking a knee. A lot of flash in the pan QBs have done the same and aren't too proud to hold clipboards and wait for their next chance. Foles is a decent QB who suffered the back hand of the Eagles handling of Chip Kelly which had spiraled out of control quick. He went to the at the time garbage Rams with no line and never had a chance. He's not a world beater at all, but he's decent in a good position.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    JM is not an NFL QB. Never was, never will be. Off field issues didn't help his cause but he's a college QB. Like Tebow, guys that can excel at that level but their talent isn't suited for the NFL.