1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Manti Te'o bizarre story

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by tarheelsteel, Jan 16, 2013.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I've given this some more thought. Maybe drafting Teo isn't such a bad thing. I mean look at the bright side at least imaginary girlfriends can't be slapped for taking your cell phone, like Chris Rainey's was.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There's more to this than some hoax. This is such a crazy story.

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    How can you trick someone in to believing they have a girlfriend and then grieving over her? So did he actually have a family member to die or not? Was only the girlfriend fake? I think this is hilarious if it is a prank because he just totally made the media look like the morons that they generally are even though the media seems to always think WE are the dunces that need enlightening. I mean this sounds like something Andy Kaufman would do! LOL. It will be really interesting to see how his stock falls in the draft. With such a great sob story like this though he really should go on American Idol. They would LOVE that!

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well if he's such a weirdo that he has to sit on e-harmony all the time I think we should pass on him. Maybe he's like Napoleon Dynamite showing a picture of his "girlfriend" who just happens to live HUNDREDS of miles away. Or like Michael Scott falling in love with a chair model who turned out to be dead. Or what is that Van Halen song where David Lee Roth is like "are you for real? it's so hard to tell from just a magazine." Someone should make an internet video of all his big plays with Def Leppard singing Photograph in the background. "I wanna touch you!!"

6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    conspiracy theory... maybe this was all made up so he would drop down in the draft to where Pitts could get him?.. Maybe he wants to come here and this was the only way to do it ? lol Now we need the number 1 OLB to say he grew up with aliens, that should drop him down enough for us to pick him up.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm going with B.:cool:

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is the craziest story I've ever heard of in regards to football. It was crazy when it was just Te'o involved, but now that Mauia has also apparently met this some girl, who doesn't even exist, it makes even more wild.

There's so much more to this story than is being told, and I doubt we ever find out the full truth.

10. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ahhh I may be onto something about him wanting to drop down in the draft for Pitts.. they're already connecting him to Pitts through Troy's name:hmm:

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i bet ben wishes his GF's were of the internet kind sometimes.

(sorry i feel bad about typing this):facepalm:
    :lolol::cool:

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok, I had to go back and check out the story that I posted because I thought that Mauia said in that piece that he and Troy met her but that's not what he said, he said he met Kekua when he went to do charity work with Troy." Troy wasn't with him when he met the girl, he was just with Troy at this charity thing. So confusing!

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  14. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    From what I've read and it's not all that much, I am leaning towards Teo being a victim in this. An incredibly naive victim but a victim just the same. I guess I'll reserve total judgement until more info comes out.

15. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Teo' was fooled. If this causes him to fall to #17, then we should take him!

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I can't see how he was fooled...a few things just aren't adding up for this to be a classic Catfish case...

17. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yea I think he was in on it. ESPN interviewed a former team mate of Teo's and he said that everyone had a feeling that this story of his girlfriend was made up because no one on the team could piece together the facts, and also that Teo loved being in the spot light and would often point out when he was on TV to everyone. Plus Teo's own father said a few months ago the Manti and his girlfriend had come down to Hawaii a few times and have spent time with each other and Manti's family...And now Manti says he's never met her and was lied to and part of a catfish stunt? Doesn't add up. Too many conflicting stories. Sounds like he made the whole thing up as a publicity stunt.

18. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok so the deadspin article says they met in 2009 after a Stanford game...like physically met. They were friends for a few years which is backed by quotes from his father saying she used to come visit the island at times Manti was there.
    Has he denied any of this? How was he fooled or part of a hoax if those bits of info are true.
    I don't like and I don't want this kid in Pittsburgh. Elam in round 1, OLB in round 2, RB in round 3. Then fill in the rest.

19. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not what I read.. The story I viewed said Teo's father was looking forward to meeting her but had not..

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    First, did you watch this kid in the Alabama game? Got run over, a no show. The Steelers aren't going to draft him. Common.

This story is bizarre to say the least. He was invloved. Why? Heisman sympathy possibly. Possibly he is gay, the cover up? Who knows? But really, he looks like a fargin nut case!

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, that's what I read too. There's a flood of information still flowing in, going to have to wait for it to be sifted through to find out which parts are true and which are false. I just learned that the Cardinals player that I posted a link about is friends with Te'os friend who purportedly created the hoax, so how viable is it that he said the girl is real? Going to have to wait until its all sorted out.

22. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    i heard the girl is real. her photo was used to make a fake persona, unbeknownst to her.

23. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Yea you're right there is so much information coming out. I heard Stephen A Smith point out on ESPN first take this morning the same thing I heard about Manti's father saying that Manti and his girlfriend had visited Hawaii and spent time with the family there. But there's so much coming out. Too many conflicting reports.

24. Steel Buckeye

Steel Buckeye Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Then there's this:
    An important pillar of Manti Te'o's story with regards to the hoax of the century is that he found out Lennay Kekua wasn't dead during ESPN's Home Depot College Football Awards show in Orlando. Here's the quote from Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick's press conference Wednesday night that alludes to when Te'o first found out about what was happening."On the morning of December 26th, very early morning, Manti called his coaches to inform them that, while he was in attendance at the ESPN awards show in Orlando, he received a phone call from a number he recognized as having been that he associated with Lennay Kekua. When he answered it, it was a person whose voice sounded like the same voice he had talked to, who told him that she was, in fact, not dead.
    Manti was very unnerved by that, as you might imagine. I will let him again talk about that and his reaction to it. But he maintained that secret vis a vis the members of the football family until he called the coaches on the morning of the 26th. They promptly reached out to me to inform me of this shocking piece of news, and I arranged to meet Manti upon his return to campus and did so on the afternoon of the 27th."
    That awards show in Orlando took place December 6th. Two days later, Te'o was in New York City for the Heisman Trophy presentation, also televised on ESPN, on December 8th. That night, Te'o was interviewed on stage during the hour long show by Chris Fowler. In a transcript from that Heisman interview, it reveals Te'o voluntarily talking about his girlfriend passing away after he supposedly found out about the hoax. In fact, he told Chris Fowler the moment he found out about his girlfriend's passing was the one moment he would never forget during the season.

So if Te'o found out on December 6th his girlfriend wasnt real, then why two days later at the heisman trophy presentation did he mention her passing again ? Was he too embarassed he was duped? Or is the more likely explanation being he is now so caught up in in a web of his own lies he doesnt remember what he has said and when he said it.

Also, he found out about the hoax on december 6th, but waited 20 days to tell his coaches? At that level of football players and coaches usually form good bonds, why wait 20 days if you found out that an important part of your life was a lie? Was he busy trying to get the story straight with the other individuals involved before coming forward? More and more questions are coming up with no answers.

25. tarheelsteel

tarheelsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Check out the original deadpsin story. That's where there is the old quote from Teo's father talking about the young woman visiting Hawaii when Manti was there. If he claims they didn't meet up then, then that's just one more extremely bizarre twist to this story. And why would he tell his father that they had met up?

Other things that make me think he might have known what was going on:
    - She was a Stanford student so I'm pretty sure they both had access to computers with the internet and they never once tried skype? When my gf was in Europe we would skype at least once a week.
    - Why wouldn't he go to the funeral? I don't care what she said on her deathbed wouldn't anyone who loves someone that much go to the funeral to at least pay respects to the family?
    - For that matter why wouldn't he go see her when she was in the hospital? I'm more than certain the coaching staff would have said it was okay.
    - There were other times where he alluded to meeting her after a Stanford football game and exchanging numbers