1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Manti Te'o bizarre story

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by tarheelsteel, Jan 16, 2013.

1. tarheelsteel

tarheelsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It doesn't really speak to character issues, but it does make me question his sanity. If you're willing to make something like this up, what other crazy things would he possibly do? Inventing a GF is one thing, inventing a GF who died and having a huge story with pictures, that's borderline insanity. It is possible he is a victim of fraud like he's claiming, but it's odd somebody else would make this up on his behalf.

Combine that with his poor showing against Alabama and I do think his stock is going to drop

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  4. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    That's pretty freaking crazy.

6. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Don't draft him. Crazy.

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If any of you have watched the MTV show catfish this stuff happens all the time. From what I'm reading he had no clue she wasn't who she said she was.

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Just read that article.

I think he's in on it.

And I think the Ronaiah Tuiasosopo kid and he are gay lovers. Thats the gut feeling that I get.

Just like Ace Ventura. "Einhorn is Finkle. Finkle is Einhorn"

Tuiasosopo is Kekua. Kekua is Tuaisosopo. Kekua is a man!

[video=youtube;PSPtSEIlp8A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSPtSEIlp8A[/video]

9. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Manti Te'Os girlfriend didn't exist...It was a total sham

I think I have just got of the Te'o bandwagon....what a friggin joke of a kid.....looks like he touched his girlfriend about as much as he touched the alabama offensive players

10. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    This is really weird, but it still doesn't change my opinion of him as far as taking him at 17.

It could've been a situation where he found out she wasn't real after the fact, and then the media ran away with it... and he hoped it'd just go away.

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I too think he was in on it. I think he made it up because of what is going on with the CHUCKSTRONG movement. IF he is there at 17 I hope we pass on him,

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Here is the thing. If you don't have a girlfriend, and its all over the media that your so called girlfriend died, you better tell the media right then and there that hey I don't have a girlfriend and certainly not one that died.

I don't like this one bit. Hope the Steelers look else where, our need is for an outside linebacker any how.

13. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    They were dating on line and had neveret. A lot of relationships start the same way and a lot of people get screwed over the same way.

14. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I have a hard time believing that he didn't know.

The pics of the supposed GF are that of a Cali girl that were obtained by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo. Ronaiah T knew Manti. Well. So if Manti was being duped, it was by a close friend not a random stranger.

IMO these 2 (Manti and Ronaiah T) are/were lovers who were communicating thru social media and the whole Lennay Kekua person is fictitious. A made up person to protect Manti. And I suspect the whole car accident/death thing could be related to some sort of trouble relationship or even a break up.

15. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't buy it. Why is the picture used by this girl who is duping Manti obtained by Manti's friend Ronaiah Tuiasosopo from an old HS friend of his?

16. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Who knows and we probably never will.

17. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Probably not, but thats my gut feeling when I read the deadspin article.

18. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Obviously none of us know what happened. My GUESS is that Te'o found out what was going on at some point and was too embarrassed to own up to it, or thought it would cause a big distraction. If that's the case it's easy to say he should've owned up but that's a tough situation.

I dunno, it's weird, but the kid can still ball. Is what he did worse than Rainey to Ta'AMu?

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Lord no I like my ILBers a little crazy

20. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I am kind of torn on this....I love the kid as a LB....and if he made it up because he turns out to be gay...I would actually be ok with that too....a dead gf would buy him a few years of BEARD in an NFL locker room.....as I am sure being gay in a a football locker room is not an easy thing.

But if it turns out he made this up to either A) just F with people or even worse IMO B) to try and build some kind of Heisman hype.....I hope they owners get together and just flat out blackball him for 4 or 5 years...let him go play in Canada.

HACK

21. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    It seems unlikely that it was Heisman hype to me.

For one... Te'o from all accounts is a very smart individual. No sane, smart, human being could really think that he could make up a dead girlfriend and trumpet it on such a national scale and get away with it.

Looking at everything, it seems fairly realistic to me that he had this online relationship, where he didn't meet the girl. It seems really weird to me but my fiance is all into that show catfish, and I've realized these online things happen way more often than one would think. And my guess is he found out at some point, where it was at the point of no return. It's easy to say he should've nipped it in the bud then, but think about it... It's obviously a HUGE story... and it would've been a MASSIVE distraction in the middle of the season.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying I could definitely see how that'd be a hard thing to come to the media with.

And I will ask again. Janoris Jenkins was arrested for getting in a bar fight and resisting arrest. He was then busted for marijuana multiple times to the point that he was kicked out of school, and he went in the top of round 2. Lamichael James was arrested for disorderly conduct and battery. Alfonso Dennard punched a police officer in the fact 2 days before the NFL draft. Our own Almeda Ta'Amu got extremely drunk, got behind the wheel and RAN FROM POLICE.

Are any of these things worse than some story about a dead girlfriend? It's bizarre, and a little sad IMO if he did it for attention or whatever... but who did it hurt?

Call me naive, but I still believe Te'o is a decent guy, and a hell of a football player... and I hope he's there at 17.

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Might not be Heisman hype, but hype like this might get them a few extra votes for the National Rankings. Maybe if the Teo hype didn't happen they would not have gotten a #1 ranking.

Not to be a conspiracy guy, but could a higher up at ND have created this story?

23. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

True, but how many of them flat out lie about talking to the girlfriend every night while she's on her deathbed?

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Something fishy going on here?