1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Man I miss the Bus.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Nov 4, 2020.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Watching the Steelers Vs Ravens replay and that last series that Conner couldn't pick up the first down. Bus gets that easily. Also don't know why Conner didn't run right towards the sideline. That whole side of the field was wide open. It would have really been easy to pick up the 1st down and end the game. He ran straight into their strength of the line. Either way Bus picks up the 1st down and then the victory formation.

Glad we won but at my age I don't need the extra stress.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    To be fair, The Bus didn't run too well against the Ravens. He had his moments, like running over Ray Ray that one time, but I don't think he cracked 100 too many times against them.

But yeah, I miss him fo sho!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Gotta be able to finish the game there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    We pretty much always struggle to run against the ravens.. Those games pretty much always come down to Ben's ability to win us the game.

5. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    It’s funny I thought DJ had a better opportunity to get the first down on the second down pass. Let me just say also that was a great call. It was an unnoticed play but it was aggressive, unexpected and went for the jugular, very rare for Pittsburgh. I guess if he would have dropped it and gave the Ravens more time and saved a time out we could be having another discussion, however I thought it was a high % pass which took guts to call.

6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Snell probably could have gotten that. The risk would have been fumbling

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Or Troy P doing something absolutely amazing!!!!!!

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think Conner has played good as I've expected. Overall I think he's played well. I never did expect him to be a Jerome Bettis. That guy was on a whole new level dominating defenses in his prime against 9 people In the box and everyone knowing we're running but do it anyways.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben should threw for it on 3rd down

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steelhammer92.

I followed this issue over the years. Some may not want to hear it, and in part why I wanted him back but Bell had a lot of success against the rats from what I recall. He had a number of 100+ yard games against the tirdballs. Maybe the coaching staff should revisit his film against them and dissect it to see what was working. His "patient" running style was a thing of beauty. That was key to his success as well as the O-Line and him working as one.

Just a thought.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

11. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I didn't think Conner had any chance on that run.

12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Running it where he tried to had no chance. Watch that play again and you will see if he bounced it to the right, the whole field was open and he gets 10 yards easily. Game over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Boot55

Boot55 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    I miss that guy too, the good old days. However, I can remember some games back in the day, 1996 and 1997 bus ran all over those guys.

He had some good games against the Ravens , but nothing like 96 and 97 season.

Im getting old...

14. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Man, I loved watching the Bus run. Probably my all time favourite Steeler.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He’s my all time favorite. Then Ben

16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I saw it that way, lookws likw every defender at that point was was angled in at the point of attack.

17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I always liked big, bruising backs. And Jerome was the ultimate punisher. How many times did we see a 10 point lead late in the third and we knew the game was over because Jerome would pummel the opposing defense senseless?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    My all-time favorite Steeler is Hines Ward. I just loved the way he played. He gave everything he had and got everything he could out of his talent. He also was the most badass WR ever. Particularly in division games he was in the opposing secondary's head before the game began. They all wanted to kill him and yet usually when someone got killed the first thing they saw afterward was a smiling Hines standing over them. I've never seen another WR like him. There are definitely good blocking WRs out there but no one is worried about getting blocked by them. Hines has really nice numbers, particularly if you look at him in the context of our offense and who he had throwing to him until Ben, but his impact on games, particularly in the division, was much larger than his numbers indicate. I remember early in Ben's career Orpheus Roye (I think) when he was on the Browns (I think) was going to crush a scrambling Ben when Ward suddenly appeared and blasted the 330 pound Roye. I'm sure most of us remember what he did to Ed Reed, more than once. He was a tone setter and someone opposing defenses always had to account for. He was also really good at getting under their skin and getting them to do something dumb. And all while smiling ear to ear.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Team needs a power back, ( a 240lbs missle) the line is aging and the holes are closing up.

20. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Hines was what us hockey fans refer to as an agitator. He was brilliant at it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Took 21 years to go from Terry Bradshaw to Ben.

By that metric, we have 6 more years before we get someone worthy of replacing the Bus

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing but also when did it clear out? Looking at the replay the other night it looked like the defenders concentrated after Conner made his cut not before meaning they are positioned to stuff him better. Although I like his chances to dive/squirt for 2 yards outside.

23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Coulda used a little Mondeaux heave and Ho as well hahajahahaha

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Steelers need more Dotson like run blockers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I agree with some of the most recent comments a big FB as a lead blocker and road grader run blockers like Dotson.

The Bus was so special when the entire stadium knew he was getting the ball and he still churned out first downs and ate the clock for dinner.

As much as I loved that style of football when the Steelers were doing it I hated it the few times Baltimore or Jacksonville did it to us.

Those few times ticked me off so much I would be watching them beat us by playing Steeler football.
    You can tell it bothers me , why would I even bring it up?

• Agree Agree x 1