1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Malik Willis vs Matt Corral

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Nov 4, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They play against each on Saturday at noon on SEC Network, Liberty vs Ole Miss.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think Corral hasn't been looking 2 good the last couple of games, but I can't say anything about Malik W. I've yet 2 watch one game He's played in. I've watched every game Corral has played this Year though. Also I'm not talking about Stats.
    He's been injured...so that maybe part of that, but I don't know what he expects running that much in the SEC at His size....:shrug:

3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Injuries is part of the reason Corral had to leave the last game because of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Injuries have been an issue for Corral recently. Both his own injuries, and playing without his top receivers. I read this AM that Ole Miss had to practice with backups at 9 of 11 offensive positions, and the they may be without their top 3 receivers. Also, I’ve watched his game vs. Bama 3 times, and even with his starters there was nobody open whenever the telecast showed the view from behind the end zone. He is running way too much, and I think there are numerous reasons. In the NFL he’ll need to limit his running to scrambles and 3-5 designed QB runs per game (at most). I like him, and I think he’s a 1st round prospect, but I can’t say where in the 1st round just yet. Probably not Top 15.

I’m not jumping on the Willis bandwagon yet. The physical traits are there, but there have been plenty of QBs who failed after entering the NFL with strong arms, great running ability and highlight reel college plays. I need to see the every down decision-making and accuracy. So far I haven’t seen that on tape. We don’t need a poor man’s Lamar Jackson. That said, there’s still plenty more that I need to watch of him before I draw a conclusion. That’s just what I’m seeing based on what I’ve watched to date. Today will be a good test for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with all this. I will be watching this game for sure today.
    Well...2 be honest I haven't watched anything on M. Willis. Today will be my first look at Him.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Willis isn't a NFL ready QB, I wouldn't want the Steelers to draft him in the first round. Corral isn't a big guy, but he has a good arm.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The first half went largely as I expected it to go. Corral is a legit NFL QB prospect. Willis is a natural talent, but isn’t a polished passer.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Game over, and IMO so is Willis’ bid to be the first QB off the board. He has physical ability, but he’s even less developed as a passer than Lamar Jackson was when he came out of college. I saw this and commented on it earlier this year, and today confirmed it for me. While he’s a good runner, he’s far less dangerous than Jackson. I’m sure I’ll get some disagreement from @Blast Furnace, but right now I see Willis as a 3rd - 4th round development prospect. Someone will draft him higher than that, and it will be ugly if he needs to see the field before 2024.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The whole thing with Willis IMO is the competition and today he failed that test. I’m not jumping ship on him, too talented. I hope he does drop because if we keep winning like this, we won’t be in position to draft him high.

16 teams were represented at the game, Steelers were one of them.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude sucks. I watched the whole game. He is freaking terrible. Hell He's afraid 2 throw the ball...be just as good 2 draft one of his Rbs, and teach him how 2 throw...wouldn't be much different. Can't Have a Qb that's afraid 2 throw.
    Against a middle of the pack SEC team ....sacked 9 times, and picked 3 times 0 Tds. He ran into half those sacks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    If we take him, I’ll root hard for him, but I will be bracing myself for some lean years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My fears confirmed in proof positive as well. Malik's talent and ability are not to be questioned and never mind underestimated. His overall lack of fundamentals though leave a whole lot to be desired. Any team that drafts him better have a plan for him as he is simply not ready for game time at the NFL Level just yet.

Having him sit a year or two would greatly benefit him for certain. Agree though that the Steelers will likely not have a chance at him barring a trade.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Which actually could happen. Rudolph starts a year, Willis sits and learns.

Before anyone says you don’t draft a first rd QB and sit them, I give you Mahomes. And they moved up to get him.

Willis’ talents are taylor made for today’s NFL.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I just hope Willis is available by that point. Realistically speaking, he and Corral are the only two QBs that the Steelers should target in Round One. If neither are available, BPA as always.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Which NFL is that.... the one where all the Qbs that run around like a chicken with their Heads cut off gets beat by the Statue T. Brady because he can actually sit in the pocket and throw????
    That NFL. Did You forget the 90s when everyone had 2 have a Kordell Stewart, and half the league drafted them...only 2 keep getting beat by Pocket Qbs...then everyone switched back again.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You live in the past man and Kordell? Really? He was 20 years too early, had a new OC every year all of whom tried to fit a square peg into a round hole and tried to make him a pocket passer. Kordell would have been a stud if he played now.

Brady is a freak, bad example. In todays NFL where you aren’t allowed to breath on a QB I’ll take one that can hurt you with his legs, too. Just makes life so much harder for defenses. Why wouldn’t you want a QB that can hurt you multiples ways? That just makes no sense to be against that. The only argument against that used to be risk of injury and that has been reduced significantly now. I have yet to see Jackson even come close to being lit up on a hit.

19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the hype machine surrounding Willis is over the top. He has great speed for a QB, but Jackson, Murray and Vick all look/looked faster on tape vs. pros than Willis does vs. college players. Those guys were also far more advanced as passers than Willis when they came out. While those guys certainly deliver excitement, what have they actually won? He’s a poor man’s version of those guys, and that’s not worth a 1st round pick in my book.

Willis has the physical talent to be very good, but a QB needs to read defenses and make sound decisions in where to go with the ball. When he decides where to go, he needs to deliver the ball accurately and on time. I’ve watched enough of Willis on tape at this point to comfortably say that he’s not showing any consistency or maturity in these areas. His deficiencies didn’t start last Saturday. They were already out there on plenty of game tape.

I think too many people are being seduced by highlights and not watching his every down play.

What gets me is that all we’re talking about from Saturday’s game is Willis, yet Corral went out there and balled out despite playing on not one, but two injured ankles, and missing offensive linemen and receivers. He made several NFL throws Saturday, but let’s talk about how great the guy who threw 3 interceptions (and had an ugly interception dropped) is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Do You really know why the NFL started running College plays???
    Because they can't find enough Guys that can play in the pocket, and with so many coming out of College that can ...kind of play Qb , but can Run....well those are in abundance.
    All the rules if called correctly are in favor of the Qb that can play from the pocket....Am I lying??? Go read them.
    I'm not arguing a Qb that can run has its advantages, but not unless He can Play from the pocket 1st, and foremost.
    I mean what have these so called New wave of Qbs won????
    R. Wilson ,and P. Mahomes are the only ones ,and they are both pocket Guys who can run.
    If You bring up S. Young ...He himself has said He couldn't get the Monkey off His back until He learned 2 play from the pocket.
    Also Brady being a bad example....How about all the other SB winners. :shrug:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah you and any others told me DJ wasn’t an NFL caliber WR either ;)

Honestly I don’t get into debating prospects anymore, I think everyone is a little too in love with their ability to scout, myself included. None of us know how these guys will pan out.

I like him, think he has the goods.

Now show me where I ever said I don’t want someone who can’t play from the pocket. I know you don’t like Jackson but he’s made big strides this year IMO, I’d take him over just about every other QB in the league right now.

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Never Dude. I just think You are a little 2 much in love with speed at a position that it's not required....that's all.
    Also Have You watch Jackson play this Year??? Talk about Circus catches. Plus they (refs)are really not calling His games very well.....There's is more holding going on when He scrambles from a called pass play...then a M.F.....yet they act like they don't see it , or the D line man getting push from behind 2 the ground when they turn around 2 pursue. How about the magic horse collar Yesterday on His fumble???

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I want a pocket passer that has mobility and is accurate and can read defenses.

• Winner Winner x 2
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well then you don't want Willis.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I know a guy. Rhymes with Jenny Lick It.