1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Makes me sick.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Jul 18, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He didn't sign and it's over for this year. If he signs the tag he won't show early so we move on to the next man up. It's really very simple.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    So answer this. If levein signed that deal and then tore his ACL week 10 of this season and then comes back next yr and doesnt look nearly the same you think pitt is still going to keep paying him that money?

3. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I would side with anybody trying to get their money. And that's exactly why he's going elsewhere then. Why would he risk the terms of a long term contract like that. If that's the case he might as well continue to play on the franchise tag if he is just going to keep betting on himself year to year. The point of the contract is to get that money upfront. Pitt is just not a team that operates like that and they weren't going to change for leveon. But you people dont need to diminish him and act like he is so selfish for trying to secure his future which in his risk sport is always in doubt. Look at Shazier. Do you think before the Bengals game he would be nearly paralyzed? No but it's a freak sport and it happens.

4. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I think he could get the same contract he got from Pitt but with 30 million guaranteed. Ap in 2015 at 30 years old got 30 million guranteed with an apy of his contract at 14 million. You have to think the other RBS other than leveon that would garner a payday like that are Zeke and Gurley. They have yet to get those paydays but when their time comes they will. The point you're missing is not every rb is in that creme of the crop. Leveon is a hall of fame talent. What to other RBS in the nfl are hall of fame talents besides him, Zeke, and Gurley. You cant like just a good player like devontae freeman and say hey this guy is making 8 and so should you. They arent on the same level. Leveon is transcendent and every rb that has been that good was fairly compensated. The steelers period just dont pay all that upfront money. Nether does ne but ne in recent years under their current regime has won more than anyone so they have the luxury of doing that. We dont at this time look at how players speak to the ineptitude of our locker room an coaching staff and you think we are garnering the same respect we once did?

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What if he signs the deal and nothing happens?

6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's not a chance he is willing to wake obviously due to the risk of the dangerous game he plays...

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If I get hurt at work I get workman’s comp. I don’t get paid my full salary for years to come. And that’s basically an insurance policy not a direct out of pocket payment of a salary by my employer.
    Just think of the salary cap problems a deal like Bells would cause the team if he were to get hurt or lose a step or two. All of the sudden we’re in trouble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Teams with cap space will overpay for Bell, the Jets or 49ers could be options for him.

9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Can you stop comparing yourself to nfl players. And answer me this didnt adrian peterson at 30 get 30 million guranteed?

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who cares what he got? So someone obviously overpaid for Peterson so now that’s the prescient?
    Some crap team with a bunch of cap space will overpay for Bell. Not because he’s worth it, but because they have the extra money.
    Bell nor Peterson are worth that money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Add Murray to that over paid RB with to many miles . Teams are now using firm touch numbers when signing RB'S . All the analytic guys are feeding the GM'S this info . If a GM gives a RB a huge contract with lots of miles it will cost him his job. Bell is going to be shocked when he sees his value .

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I have no doubt someone will give him the money, not because he’s worth it, but because that team has the money to spend. And guess what those teams have money for a reason because they suck and continually make stupid decisions.
    If I hit the lottery tomorrow when I go to buy a new car I’m not going to negotiate as hard as I would before having a bunch of money. I’ll be overpaying, but won’t care cause I have plenty to spend.

• Like Like x 2
  13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for you. To me Kirk cousins wasnt worth a fully guranteed contract but Minnesota thought otherwise. So your right alot of teams have extra money. Why was ap the only guy to get that type of money. Why not jerrick mckinninon.

14. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    He’s arguably the best RB in the NFL.
    He’s also at risk of an injury ending his career just like of ‘me are. I don’t like Bell’s character, in fact I think he’s an a-hole, and I don’t like the fact that he obviously has no team loyalty at all.
    But I can understand where’s he’s coming from. I don’t like it, but I understand it.

Someone will pay him what he wants next year and we’ll get along just fine without him.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Albert Haynesworth, Martellus Bennett (Green Bay), Brock Osweiler, Jay Cutler and Nnamdi Asomugha would like to speak with you on that one.

Plenty of "great talents" receive massive financial incentives based on the position or the player. It is likely Bell will reset the market in 2019. By who remains to be seen.

Now, players like James Farrior and Mike Vrabel is a good example of quality Free Agent signings and not "hot take" splashes.

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Of course after the fact all those deals look bad but before hand especially Nnamdi and Haynesworth they were both all pro and at the times the argubaly best at their respective positions. If the team is willing to pay you whatever they give you obviously someone values you at that money. Every player doesnt get paid the same amount so obviously the teams throw the money at who they deem fit

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That is the most underrated issue for the future of the entire league. Teams like New Orleans, Kansas City, Jacksonville and Dallas will witness it first-hand if and/or when it happens.

Whomever signs Bell to whatever he wants annually is going to colossally inflate a position that lasts about as long as an Associate's Degree in college.

When that happens, many NFL teams are going to have to adopt a commitee approach to offset the lack of a feature back. Therefore, while we will see feature backs in the future, do not expect teams in the league to hold on to them like they did in years past.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Therefore, they weren’t worth it.

You just shot your “You are worth what anyone one is willing to pay you” theory full of holes.

No, Bell is not worth what he is asking. Someone still might pay it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Again with that worn out incorrect saying.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Read my statement above.

To sign a player to such a price is the equivalent of paying for a Lamborghini and simply letting it sit in your garage.

• Like Like x 1
  21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Afterwards. Any decision in 20 20 hindsight looks bad after the fact but initially they werent thought to be that is my point. I'm saying worth as in what you CAN GET. I'm not saying once the deal is over where you worth the money. I'm saying initially when you get your money if someone is willing to pay that to they obviously deem you WORTH IT.

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So how did they get the money?

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I can't speak the future so idk what bell will do. He is a unique talent so who knows but I think long term both Zeke and Gurley will end up being better than him so therefore they will get their money.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That is not the point of emphasis here.

The main point to take is that, should Le'Veon reset the market, the likes of Zeke, Gurley, Kamara, Hunt, Fournette and soon Barkley will seek even higher demands.

In short? Feature backs are going to be way too expensive and many NFL teams will have to adopt a commitee approach. Unless the league exponentially raises the cap within the next three to five years, backs like Le'Veon will be seeing the Free Agent market sooner than later.

25. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    AP got what he did because he had been the best RB for a long time and because he HAD BEEN the best he was due to decline. And like all RB's the decline comes quickly. Seeing what NE and now Philly has done with a RB by committee at half the cost I think other teams will start to learn by their example. Bell and his agent might be shocked when no one else offers that kind of crazy money.

Of course there is always some idiot GM willing to overpay so its likely Bell will be good, not great, just good on a bad team for the last few years of his career with no hope of a ring.