1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mahomes signs

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by EnglishSteeler, Jul 6, 2020.

1. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Reported $400million over 10 years. Wonder what difference that will make to Dak and Dallas?

Be interested to see if it is 400 over 10, if it is then likely he will be underpaid by year 3 or 4!

2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Cowboys should laugh in Dak’s face if he wants to use this as a bargaining chip. Mahomes is a special, transcendent player, Dak is not, albeit he is very good. They will resign themselves to a decade of 8-8 if they do something similar with Dak.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Chiefs evolve after this. Their superstar roster is going to be very difficult to keep together. They will need to kill it in the draft to stay at the top imo.

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I wonder what the non-qbs think of one guy making 4-5x as much. It only lowers their piece of the pie.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s insane money in a league with a salary cap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    The headline numbers are astonishing, Mahomes camp clearly wanted something groundbreaking and they got it. The devil is in the detail however. Let’s see how this impacts their cap in the medium term.

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I agree. It’s going to be a really interesting contract to dissect. It’s hard to envision a signing bonus less than $100 million, and under the previous CBA that could only be amortized over 5 years for cap purposes.

9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I have watched many interviews with Mahomes since he rose to stardom. He is a shrewd and pragmatic young man. Of course he wants to be paid, but he also knows that he needs 52 teammates to be successful. I’ll wait until all the headlines have passed and we see the real impact of the deal on their roster plans. There is no doubt this is going to be an expensive contract for the chiefs but it may not be the albatross that it appears right now.

Chris Jones is likely the big loser in this. Buckner just signed for $22m in Indianapolis, that’s the floor for Jones who is a better player imo. Chiefs can’t give him that now and he is saying that he won’t play in the tag.

10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Rounds out to $50mil/year roughly. He could be underpaid in 3 years with the madness.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Will never be able to keep quality players around him
    at this salary. Chiefs will have a hard time competing for championships.

12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    https://overthecap.com/player/patrick-mahomes/5594/

If the overthecap figures are anywhere near accurate then this is a good deal for both sides. He gets a huge signing bonus and the cap hit is kept at a very manageable level in the first couple of years.

They’ll probably be renegotiating after 4-5 years anyway, and who knows what the salary cap will be at that point.

As I said above, the headline figures are mind boggling, they wanted to make a big splash with this signing but when you actually dig in to the details the deal doesn’t kill either side.

Looks like the guaranteed money is on a rolling basis after the first couple of years, the figures being thrown around are largely smoke and mirrors.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Well now, that's an interesting contract structure. If a $500 million deal could ever be called "team friendly," that's it.

14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    It’s a very clever structure, I expect other teams with big QB deals upcoming will have taken note. Both sides have been working on this for some time no doubt, and they both understood that it has to work for he team. They want to win more superbowls.

They may actually be able to extend Chris Jones after all.

15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Mahomes is great but you still need a supporting cast. Also not sure how long pattys body lasts. Dak is not worth what he wants but he still wins games and is better than a game manager.

we finally get rid of Brady and now Mahomes is in the way lol. Good thing fat Andy is not bill

16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That is what I heard today on ESPN. The figures used were something like 140 guaranteed and 163 or so over the first 6 years. If those numbers are correct it comes out to a pretty manageable 27 mill a year. The new TV contract come up sometime around then, he will still be in his prime and can likely get a huge payout then as well.

17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'll take Mahomes for now. At least he isn't the complete cheating dick that Brady was and still is.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It really is a smart move for both sides. He gets a lot of guaranteed, the team already has a core under contract and the way this is written gives them a 3-4 year window when all the players are still in their prime. If the team gets another SB Mahomes commercial value goes through the room. If they draft right, he will still be in his prime to retool.

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Mahomes might win 4+ SBs, kid is that talented.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, he has off the charts raw talent, and combines it with smarts and savvy. I think highly of the young man, but if he ends up standing in the way of championships for us on a yearly basis I’m sure I’ll find a way to hate him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Or never wins another. Football is weird

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah, remember Rodgers and the Packers were supposed to dominate after they won that SuperBowl against the Steelers. While they continued to be good they never got back to the big game.

Chiefs have a nice window of 2-3 years before the Mahomes money really kicks in and starts to effect roster decisions in a big way. They’ll find things harder after that unless they draft stars every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yep. Only patriots have consistently been good but they don’t count obviously

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ahem, cough cough. The Steelers have been in the hunt year in - year out. Our 2 year rebuilding nightmare should be ending I hope.

Damn you AB!!!!!