1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mahomes on this current roster, do we win a super bowl?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Yes, he is that good that coaching doesn’t matter

39.5%
  2. No, coaching and line suck too much to win

60.5%
  1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Roethlisberger's limitations were part of the problem there. As someone else already mentioned, opponents can't stack the box and safeties can't come charging downhill at the snap against Mahomes. They got away with doing that to Roethlisberger. The mobility of Mahomes also would have helped to open up room to run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Our Offensive Line could not run block though. That is the major aspect that is missing here. Mahomes or not, a HOF QB cannot fix old age of an Offensive Line. If anything, he is prolonging the inevitable. That said I believe a fully healthy Steelers squad still would have been enough to win the Super Bowl because a fully healthy Defense could offset that Offensive Line provided if Mahomes could get to 35 points as quickly as possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Operating out of the same playbook the Steelers used for the 2020 season, I don't think so. It wouldn't be playing to Mahomes strengths and abilities, that's for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm sure that Head and Shoulders (Procter and Gamble) would nix this connection. Would ruin their marketing plan. :lolol:

5. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    No single player can fix a culture problem and bad coaching. Sadly The steelers have a culture problem. And we also have Coaching issues. Now while our OC and line coach were let go cause they were terrible and deserved to be fired, they were also scapegoats for Tomlin and the lack of accountability that he doesnt hire many good coaches and keeps the buddy system going way to much (both with coaches and players, hence the culture problem here).

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Wrong forum

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Who?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How come nobody is stating the fact that every Qb has had his best years ...under Andy R. Every Qb I can think of. Hell not taking anything away from P. Maholmes ( I think he's great)...but he was a losing Qb in college.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I agree we would have a marginally better run game, but unless Mahomes can somehow elevate the DB play, I’ll say no.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah . I saw 2 rushing Tds ...I believe 15 yards out....practically walked in by the Browns . I don't know how P. Maholmes fixes that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Chiefs defense> Steelers

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Donovan McNabb gets no respect from eagle fans I know. If he had wide receivers that didn't drop passes at the wrong time Andy R. would have had his SB way before now. They had strong teams with McNabb under center.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The biggest moment was to much for McFlab as he was puking not only on the sidelines but on his offensive lineman's feet :lolol:

The eagle fans are now crying that Andy is going to back and back Super Bowls... How soon they forget how a back up took them to the promised land

14. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Yup the one year he got a decent receiver he got past the NFCCG (didnt they lose 3 times in a row)?

15. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    FBDE0B06-308D-4F73-BBC9-D470A6B36702.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean they barely run it when it counts. He led the chiefs in rushing up until the sb last yr in the playoffs. Yes mahomes can overcome that.

17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Geeze... it’s almost as if you called it lol. No line no offense. Doesn’t matter who you are

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I got 2 throw my name out there , with all the the people that also agreed that having Maholmes wouldn't have mattered. A little patting my own back.:dancing:

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Gonna disagree. And he didn't overcome much of anything last night. Yeah, his foot was hurt, but that was a brutal game and not what I was expecting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It all starts and ends in the trenches. KC's O Line was a patchwork and the Bucs have one of the best D Lines in the NFL.

Goes to show that our Offensive Line better be a priority or it won't matter who's throwing the rock or running it.

Glad that S#$%@show is over and now we can see what is going to happen going forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm with you lol. Though him not being healthy and them missing their tackles did matter he wasn't as mobile as he normally was. But still now xcuses they got dominated

• Like Like x 2
  22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yes. We don’t have a Hill or Kelce, but Enron and Claypool are pretty good. Our line isn’t as good as theirs, but our defense is superior to KC’s in every way. We might not win every year, but if we had 4 seasons with the roster as is (plus Mahomes) I would find it super unlikely that we wouldn’t win at least once if not multiple. Not even Tomlin could screw that up.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Not shocked.

Yet again, the blueprint left by the 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers still rings true to this day. Need balance on both sides of the ball to win the big one. Top to bottom; no exceptions.

Tampa had this in spades. Kansas City did not. It showed and the end result was long preordained; all the more reason I did not watch. The moment both Fisher and Schwartz went down for Kansas City signaled the beginning of the end for the Chiefs. Tristian Wirfs and Donovan Smith were more than enough for Frank Clark and Tanoh Kpassagnon. Whomever Kanas City had at backup Offensive Tackle were eaten alive by both JPP and Shaq Barrett.

To conclude?! No matter the Quarterback, the team around him is just as important. Again, see the 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers for reference; the blueprint for the modern NFL Championship Roster. Until proven otherwise, such is the way to win Super Bowls.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s a shame we lose key pieces almost every year lol

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

War of attrition sadly. Every team goes through with it. Part of the parody aspect.

• Like Like x 1