1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mahomes on this current roster, do we win a super bowl?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Yes, he is that good that coaching doesn’t matter

39.5%
  2. No, coaching and line suck too much to win

60.5%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

So you contradicted your argument?!

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know its crazy...but the Qb they are going 2 face in the SB ...can't do half of what you just stated.

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You need a great team...otherwise A. Rogers would have gone more than 1 time...same with Drew B....and more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Calm down Chief. We all know that teams win SBs. But having a QB with the skillset Mahomes has and his propensity not to turn the ball over is critical to their success. No one placed him into an omnipresent role, not sure where you get that from. Fact is though, that team had not won a SB without him.

We give Ben his due credit in the Steelers winning SBs, the same has to be done with the Chiefs.

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Didn’t chiefs finish off the browns with chad henne? Lol

Riddle me this, who looks more talented the first 3 years of their career, mahomes or Marino?

who would you rather have?

7. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Man you must be high? C'Mon man. Stop with the madness.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That really is not the craziest aspect of this whole silly farce. What is crazy is that we are on a website that features the most successful NFL Franchise since the AFL/NFL Merger. For that matter, we are on a Franchise that rewrote the book on what it takes to build a Championship Team.

There is a reason many of us consider the 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers as the greatest team in NFL History. So many aspects of that team including their roster building, exceptional coaching, impact on the game and the legacy they left behind are just but a small fragment that is STILL USED to this day for building the modern NFL Dynasty. Each Dynasty has a different way of starting out no doubt. However, each dynasty is essentially working the EXACT SAME WAY that the 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers operated on.

Once again, the 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers are the blueprint on how to build not just Championship Teams but also DYNASTIES. Do not believe me?!

The San Francisco 49ers of the 80s, Dallas Cowboys of the 90s and the Patriots from 2003-2019 would all like to have a word.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Again....

[​IMG]

Which is it then?! Is it solely Mahomes that allows Kansas City to be pushed over the team, the great team he has around him or both?!

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So people really don’t think Claypools game would be greatly elevated with Mahomes throwing to him? All of our receivers for that matter that don’t have to jump 10 feet to catch Bens sailing passes? Riiggght.

Steelers were 11-0 with Ben and most were talking about the Sb but put Mahomes behind center and they wouldn’t win? Riiggght.

11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Ah I see what’s going on. He meant our team was good enough to win the games it did and adding mahomes would mean we would be even better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    A QB like Mahomes is the best friend that a running game can have. Try stacking the box with a QB like him and see what happens. Yes, Mahomes would have made a huge difference, both to our running game, and to our passing game, by forcing opponents to cover the entire field. A QB would have also helped our defense because opposing teams would have been playing catch up more frequently, and thus allowing our pass rushers to tee off. In my view we’re easily a SB team if you substitute Mahomes for Ben, and no amount of memes and BOLD RED CAPS will convince me otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yes, but the loss of Bush and Dupree would likely have ended our playoff run with Mahomes given those two are integral parts to the defense. Tanoh Kpassagnon and Frank Clark are not on the same level of pass rushing dominance that T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree are but both are better together than without and are still a top 10 pass rushing duo. There also is not a Devin Bush Jr in Kansas City but they have a good duo in both Hitchens and Damion Wilson who are good enough to get the job done. Keep in mind that is not accounting for those snap woes Maurkice Pouncey had all season either.

Mahomes definitely would have pushed us further into the playoffs for certain and no doubt. However, the lack of Defensive Firepower, stale Offensive Play Calling and suspect Offensive Line Play would have been just but a number of things that would have brought this team down in the end; Mahomes or not. The team that went against the Browns reaches the AFC Championship Game at best in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Unbelievable talent! BUT...We still have an abysmal Line, crappy Backs, and an absolute idiot as a HC...

These things matter and this one guy, as great as he is... Couldn't overcome all these shortcomings!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Can randy call a good game with no running attack in the playoffs? Can butler/tomlin actually play defense in the playoffs?
    Past 5 playoff games chiefs averaging 23 points given up.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Mhhmm....

I think we will have to find out a littler under two weeks from today and see if having both a HOF QB and a great team or just merely a HOF QB will end up hoisting the Lombardi then. No point in continuing this. Time to find out.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I’ll say this much if we have a fully healthy team with Patrick as qb, yeah we probably are favorites to win it all.

Oh wait we would’ve played Brady in the super bowl... never mind haha

• Like Like x 1
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Mahomes is a once in a lifetime player. To not realize that is just short sighted.

To think that he wouldn't elevate the play of our weapons is just madness.

Obviously he is in the perfect situation with a real coach and is surrounded with unbelievable talent.

I can see the Chiefs going for a three peat after they dispose of Tampa Bay. This team is a machine led by Mahomes.

But hey, they will waddle Ol Ben out there for a curtain call, all the while the league is moving on...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They were when we were 11-0. Let’s be clear, coaching decisions like sitting Dotson and playing Spillane when he clearly wasn’t ready definitely are part of why they lost to Cleveland but Bens level of play dropping off a cliff after week 11 is the greatest culprit along with his 4 pick game for the season ending.

Also, in case you all didn’t notice, Mahomes slings the ball around quite a bit. There’s not much of a ground game in KC. Someone even mentioned that during the game yesterday, both teams kept using play action without actually any attempt to establish a ground game. Just a funny observation to me.

Also, lets not pretend that losing Bush and Bud didn’t change the complexity of this defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If we are talking about a fully healthy Steelers squad with Mahomes than never mind being the Super Bowl favorites then. Pittsburgh would go undefeated without question. However, the current roster that the team had against Cleveland is what I am using given the fact that that was the most up to date roster at the time. If there other concessions about the team than my answer would have oh most definitely changed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, his question as stated is do they win a SB with Mahomes. I didn’t take it to mean this year, just that in general, this team as constructed, could they win one. Absolutely.

Could they have won this year? I think there would be a real good chance they could have. Definitely they get past Cleveland without Ben serving them up a 28 point lead. Pouncey would have still launched the ball over Mahomes head but Mahomes falls on that ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

We have to account two major factors though. I do agree this team can win with Mahomes with one major caveat.

1.) Fully healthy 2020 Steelers team?! 100% Agree with you there. As I said, never mind winning the Super Bowl. Going undefeated would have not been out of the realm of possibility either.

2.) Team that was fielded during the AFC Wild Card game?! AFC Championship for me and that would have been it. Remember, Kansas City could run the football. Pittsburgh simply can not. Then again, Randy Fichtner cannot dial up any meaningful running plays that does not include a Half Back Draw.

• Like Like x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Chiefs are ranked 16th in rushing yards vs dead last for Pittsburgh.
    Chiefs are ranked 12th in rushing average vs dead last for Pittsburgh. To say our running game was abysmal is an understatement.

I guess I should’ve given this more thought. Mahomes instead of Ben we go 15-1 at worst, we likely don’t lose bud Dupree since we can score, chiefs don’t have Patrick so we get first seed. I forget Ben sucks too

• Like Like x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I just checked stats and Steelers were dead last in average and yards per game rushing. Maybe that changes if mahomes were to be qb, but that’s horrific.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Absolutely no way. No run game so terrible down and distance situations, poor pass blocking unless he'll thrown in less than 2 seconds, receivers will drop God knows how many passes that could have moved the chains, coaching is a joke and plays called, well, you've seen for yourself. No TE threat/ weapon even remotely close to what he has now. The list is endless. Mahomes would be the one lying on the field holding his knee instead of Ben and then what, dink and dunk for half a season? The reason Mahomes is who he is is because he has a coaching staff that has developed an offensive strategy with talented personnel to complement his capabilities. Not rocket science, but very very hard to acquire. KC is able to do with Mahomes that Green Bay only wishes it could have done for so many years with Rodgers.