1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

macs mock

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Mar 24, 2017.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nice draft I like going DB as I have been screaming for years ..We still have a lot of work to do in that area..

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If we draft a QB this year, and I probably wouldn't although I think they are targeting the extra 3rd rounder, he hopefully can sit for a while. Look Brady was a 6th rounder so anything is possible.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    They do seem to be targeting those mid rounders. Worked out Peterman, met with Webb twice and Colbert met with Kaaya. You would have to believe they take one QB in rnds 3-6. Peterman looked good at the combine but dang Mahomes and Webb have strong arms.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they were at nc's pro day too. i wouldn't rule anything out this year. kaaya is my least favorite of all of them. i hope it's not him. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    outside the box:

1. obi melifonwu SS
    2. chris goodwin WR
    3. ryan anderson OLB
    3. shaquill griffen CB
    4. george kittle TE
    5. damontae kazee CB
    6. javancy jones OLB
    7. montae nicholson SS

what i think the steelers may do:

1. tra white CB-- cordrea tankersly CB-- obi melifonwu SS
    2. dereck rivers OLB-- ryan anderson OLB-- jordan willis OLB
    3. marcus maye FS-- rasul douglas CB/FS-- shaquill griffen CB
    3. wayne gallman RB--samaje perine RB-- donta foreman RB
    4. george kittle TE-- vince biegel LB-- damontae kazee CB
    5. jordan evans ILB-- ben gedeon LB-- jeramy sprinkle TE-- javancy jones OLB
    6. robert davis WR--kd cannon WR-- jahu chesson WR
    7. montae nicholson SS-- jonathon ford FS

:cool:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i think any of these players could be in play for us depending how the draft falls and who is available if they're guy gets picked. :cool:

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I doubt if they spend a 3 pick on any QB, if they did what are they going to do with him since he would be the #4 unless they cut mettenberger they would have to put him on PS where another team could claim him, and on game days they only have 2 QBs active anyway, we have 3 QBs right now and thats all we need, use that 3 pick for a player we can use now at another position.....

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If they got one in the third (relatively high), I would assume ZM would be a late cut and they'd put the rookie on the inactive list before the game to protect him from that scenario. Just a guess on my part though.

But I agree, I'd rather wait til next year.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed, Zach would get the boot. From all reports I have read, they are woefully unimpressed with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The more I study the draft the more I see a CB/safety being picked with our first
    selection.Whether that is right I really have no clue? We need OLB pass rushers also
    so who knows how it will play out. I just hope we don't reach with our picks?
    I feel we picked players last year that were slightly picked ahead of were they should have been. But if the Steelers wanted those players then without trading or
    making deals (which the Steeler org. shies away from) we are stuck with a player
    drafted in the second, that really is a third rounder. I hope our scouting department
    is working OT, if not we will never close the gap on the Pats.

12. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    We picked burns, hargraves and davis slightly ahead. good thing.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    How can you say we picked Burns, Davis and (especially) Hargrave early? They performed very well as rookies, and have upside to get a lot better. By whose standards were they early? Talking heads like Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock? Draft sites? Those guys don't know squat compared to the actual NFL teams. Just because Mike Mayock thinks Burns is a second rounder doesn't mean the team drafting right after us feels that way. There are 32 opinions that count, and they are the 32 teams actually building their teams through the draft. Whether random-talking-head-guy or random-website-guru-guy thinks a pick is a reach is irrelevant. If you really want a guy, take him. You don't "guess" that you can trade down and get him later, because all it takes is for one of the other 31 teams to really like him for you to lose him, regardless of where the media has him projected to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I am going to have to agree to disagree. Hargrave was slotted right, the other two
    were as I said slightly above where I thought they would go. Sort of caught between a rock and a hard place. As will be the case in this upcoming draft Do you pick a guy
    at 30 when his real value is 40? Tough question. If you go back to last years draft threads, I was wanting to cut a deal to move to get Artie Burns, before our second pick
    because I was afraid he wouldn't be there. I had the Steelers taking the safety out of WVU who went to the Raiders as their first pick. I would have never picked Davis as a 2nd rounder. To each his own.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    any player we have between 1-61 could be picked at 30. you can't wait becuase he's ranked 35th or the talent level continues to decrease. anyone between 62- 94 will have to go at 62 in the second. just because a said guy is ranked 65 or70 doesn't mean you have to pick him there.:cool:

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Ranked by who? Every draft "guru" out there has different rankings. The only rankings that count are you're own board as the drafter. Even if some of the "gurus" like Mayock are knowledgeable, they're not looking at specific team needs or scheme fit when they come up with their rankings.

There are a number of DBs in this draft who will be ranked higher and lower by certain teams based on what those teams would want him to do.

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Remember the raiders picking sebastion janikowski a lowly field goal kicker at 17 in the 1st round of the 2000 draft, all these gurus were just furious yet 17 years later seabass is still on the team when all the rest of those 1st round picks are long gone, I agree if a players is on the clock a team wants they better draft him and let the gurus call it a reach or what ever else they want to call it, but take the player and let them holler, if the player becomes a bust you just live with it and move on, we like every other team have had some busts but thats the crap shoot of the draft where you win some and lose some....

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we are saying the same thing elvis. i don't think there are too many players in the top 100 that are ranked very different by most teams. team needs come into play, scheme, attitude and various other things are what makes a team covet one guy over another. most players at the top are all good. some fit a team, a coach a need and a scheme better is all.

the gurus are only ranking guys overall. safeties 1-10 could be seen 32 different ways by teams but those 10 are a pretty good bet as the top 10 to be picked overall. i'd say at least by 30 of 32 teams anyway. if 5 of those safeties are picked rd.1 and not by your team then if you need one and wait for round 2 you will be picking most likely from the 6th best to the 10th best by waiting. the cream rises to the top. thats not saying #11 safety won't fit said team well but the ability does go down. that doesn't mean a guy or two won't fall through the cracks.

i'll also bet teams break players down even further than just top 10 safeties overall. it could be top speed. top coverage. top tackling. top overall. top brains and play recognition. top size. many things come into play when a team ranks positions. :cool:

19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    But if you believe in Colbert's theory that the Steelers never
    draft for need (LOL) always BPA than you have to consider how
    you have evaluated each player lets say from 1-100. You better
    not miss on those first 2 selections, most NFL owners are
    not as forgiving as the Rooney's.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    here's my final thoughts on what i think the steelers may do:

1. T.J Watt OLB Wisc.
    2. Cordrea Tankersley CB Clem.
    3. George Kittle TE Iowa
    3. Vince Biegel OLB Wisc.
    4. Carlos Watkins DE/DT Clem.
    5. Cory Clement RB Wisc.
    6. Joshua Dobbs QB Tenn.
    7. Montae Nicholson SS Mich.St.

yes we get both the wisconsin OLB'ers. (hopefully) both are very talented and know this system pretty well.
    tankersley- sticks out to me as a guy they like. good size good speed and a pretty good cover man. not perfect but has a ton to work with opposite burns eventually.
    kittle- a talented TE.
    carlos watkins- is a guy they met with. he's been a good player for clemson and can play DE or move inside as one of the 2 down linemen when in the hybrid.
    clement- is a solid RB. can be a bruiser, catch passes and just plain be a solid backup or game finisher to save bell.
    dobbs- i think they like his brain ability. has some tools to work with and smarts. i think they like him.
    nicholson- gives them a home town boy plus that good sized fast SS that they can do some different things with in this defense. again we have room at safety to upgrade.

:cool:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I'd take it Mac, but I think Maye is 50/50 to be gone before our 2nd pick, never mind our 3rd. Currently #46 on cbs/draft scout, and in Gil's top 50. I give him a 2nd round grade easily based on what I've watched.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i did see he's been moved up from the 3rd. maybe a rasul douglas whom i've always thought would be a better safety than corner. desmond king. jalen myrick. cam sutton. delano hill. eddie jackson. xavier woods. shaquill griffen*. many guys suitable for the FS slot at 3.:cool:

23. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I'd like this draft, mac. Unfortunately I have a bad feeling we'd need to trade up in front of Green Bay and maybe even Dallas to get Watt. Which sucks because he's the guy I'm hoping we take Thursday. He's been my pick from the start.

24. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    I would be very happy with that draft. I think the Watt / Biegel combination would be terrific. I would make three adjustments to make it perfect from my perspective; Kenny Golladay, WR, Northern Illinois in the 4th, James Conner, RB, Pitt in the 5th, and Samson Ebukam, OLB Eastern Washington in the 6th. I like Watson and Clemson players in particular. I just think they are going to take a WR, and Golladay fits there, and with the free agent signing of Tyson Alualu, I believe they won't draft a D-lineman, unless it is Tanoh Kpassagnon. I like Conner for sentimental reasons, but your reasoning for Clement is solid. I hope they don't draft a QB at all, but I would not be surprised if they pick Dobbs. He would be no better than a clipboard holder, never the heir apparent to Roethlisberger.

Here's my all-Clemson mock, which depends on a precipitous fall by Mike Williams or Deshaun Watson.

Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson or Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson

Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson

Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson

Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson

Jadar Johnson, SS, Clemson

Ben Boulware, ILB, Clemson

Jay Guillermo, C, Clemson

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well i got 2 picks in watt and dobbs. one not in the same slot but none the less he's here.

overall i think it was a good draft for us.

watt- no brainer
    juju- very good pickup. he will work.
    conner- good needs pick. should help the stress on bell late in games, IF they use him as such. i do still think we have good RB's in davis and toussaint behind bell.
    sutton- i think is a better pick than many first thought. not sure he was fully recovered from the broken ankle and the speed should come back some. we needed a better man cover guy added and we did that. nice pick.
    allen- i liked this pick. he's big raw and has enough speed. FS maybe? i hope they stay with him.
    holba- we needed this. warren used to be pretty good in coverage and age has hurt that some. he'll be a better run down and help in the tackle LS. more to it than just the snap, even though that is job 1.
    adams- love this pick late. should have a nice rotation at OLB.
    dobbs- smart cookie. we had to start looking. nice pick.

overall i think we helped ourselves. we didn't go after all or nothing until ben retires. we keep the core solid and building. it sure could have been different but our guys disappeared just before our picks i believe. :shrug::smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1