1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Loved it, but . . .

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    we should remember the Pats defense stinks. I watched the game with some Pats fans, and they weren't really surprised. Our guys did seem to be really open a lot of the time. And we struggled to score easily in the redzone against this poor defense. I was impressed by our defense, but I think next week will be the real test for our offense. If we can go back-to-back shutting down the the Pats offense and then score on the Ravens defense, I think we will have the proof that this team is somethin'.

:yeehaw:

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree that their corners were weak, and they made out O-line look dominant, which is really saying something.

That said, the key to the game was keeping Brady off the field, and for that we were simply executing better than we have done earlier in the season. As long as we keep this kind of game plan, with Ben spreading it around to all the receivers, and going for the quick ball as well as the long bombs, I think we have reason to be confident.

3. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think as fans we are all dissappointed we didn't see more TDs given the number of drives and Red Zone trips made, but the situational football may have dictated a little less aggressive play calling. I doubt the coaches and players ever 'want' to settle for a FG, but being able to put points on the board instead of turning it over on downs or throwing an INT is there for a reason.
    The Patriots didn't give up the deep ball that has scored a bunch of TDs for us this year. As stated before they kept Brady off the field and did score on a lot of drives.
    Task at hand is greater for the Offense next week and I think they are up to it. Seeing the game plan today gives me hope that they will game plan appropriately for the Ravens too. Look at all the points Arizona put on them this week!
    Can the Defense stop Ray Rice? I am not scared of Flacco at all.

4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Cards put up 27 points on the Ravens but 7 were from a returned punt. Total net yrds for the Cards 207 as opposed to The Ravens 405 yrds. We can't rely on the Ravens giving us 21 pts early so we've definitely got our work cut out for us this week.

5. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This week is also going to be a good test for offensive line. The first few weeks, our o-line was nonexistent. Hopefully this week we can keep Ben off the ground. I expect to see a game like the Titans game, with alot of quick passes to keep the likes of Suggs and Lewis from getting to to our QB. I hope Ben holds on to the ball and makes good decisions, because I think he will be seeing alot more pressure this week. I think we are out for revenge though, and the steelers still have that bad taste in their mouth from week 1!

6. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree 100%. Everyone knew the Pats D was suspect. Next week we face Lewis, Suggs, Ngata, and Reed and those first three could make our O-line look like Swiss Cheese. I hope we focus on getting the ball out quick but Ben cannot keep holding the ball that long or eventually he is going to give up a big fumble.

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    All in all, I thought our offense looked great. They moved the ball and dominated the game. Final score, really, doesn't mean schiznit (unless its a loss) in the scheme of things when we dominated the way that we did. Moreover, the offense IMO made the defense look better this game. When both sides play to their capabilities we are a force to be reckoned with!

8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I we beat the Ravens with solid performances even by different aspects of our game I will be happy. I'd love to be completely solid in all phases and aspects, but the ability to play strengths and exploit weaknesses as opposed to always playing "our game" is a necessary tool. We'll see next week. I hope history replays it's self because we seem to good against them in national games. I hope we can repeat the monday night game from 07. We need either passer back or both for success though, that is for sure.