1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Looks like Cleveland going all in this season !

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by kicker_twentyone, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    The Brees retirement, and offseason in general, convolutes this question. But if you're suggesting that just because one team beats the another on a particular day means they're now the better team, I'd suggest you do some reading up on Elementary Logic.

The Bucs deserve kudos for making the most of their opportunities in the playoffs and taking home the Lombardi. But they weren't the best team going in, and some would argue weren't the best coming out. Heck, they lost both matchups against New Orleans in the regular season, including a 38-3 drubbing in the middle of the season. But they were able to get the W when it counted in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You mean...they hope they fixed their secondary.
    You know as well as I, just bringing in players , (doesn't matter who they are) doesn't necessarily mean it will work.

• Like Like x 3
  3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    They kind of have to dont they? Mayfield is going to have to get paid and don't think for a second that he isn't going to get top 5 QB money (even though he is far from a top 5 QB). They are going all in knowing that they are going to have to make some really hard decisions the next year or so regarding their stud players. Do they let some of their talented OL walk for money purposes? What about their WR situation? OBJ seems like an easy trade, but what about their defense? They have a lot of money tied up in Garrett, but to build around him they will need to start throwing money out there. TBH its going to be hard to keep all their good pieces together after they pay their QB. They could make a really difficult decision too and let Mayfield walk and sign a game manager type to build around their strong running game and put all their money in the D (I dont think Haslam has the balls to make this choice, but for the franchise I believe it would be the best decision).

They could very easily go the way the Ravens did after Flacco led them to the SB. They shelled out big boy bucks for ol' throw it deep and pray Joey, and they only had 2 winning season in the next 5 years after that and one of them was a 9-7 miss the playoffs year in Flacco's last full season as starter. He started 4-5 the following year before losing his job to Jackson. The Ravens overpaid a middle of the road QB and it made it hard to build a successful team around him. It's weird to say, but Cleveland's door to be competitive could be closing (weird since this is the first time since they have been back in the league that they are actually considered a competitive team). But there are still a lot of questions surrounding their future that could change that outcome. We will see I guess.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Cleveland now has one of the most complete rosters in the NFL and they still have the draft to add depth.

Beating the Steelers back to back weeks including the playoffs is going to give them huge belief going in to 2021.

I think they have a proper coach and they are entering a window of great opportunity. Baker is the big question mark, I think the system they play does a great job of hiding his flaws with that strong running game and play action passing. I wouldn’t trust him at all if you need to put the ball in his hands and chase a lead however. The Ravens have the same issue. I hope both of those teams give those guys big extensions this offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And they are still Cleveland

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes, potential is what they have for now. They need to win a division title and make a deep playoff run to be taken as a serious threat.

They have a lot of pieces in place now. I’m not convinced about their QB, but outside of that I think they have the best roster in the AFC North. We can mock them and say they are still the Browns etc, but they are probably going to be a better team than the Steelers next year.

One thing I would say is that they have been rolling spare cap over for years and they are now finally running out of road. They already have the highest active cap spend in the league and have some big guys coming up for second contracts, they will start to struggle with cap issues soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I need to see more from the HC too before declaring him the real deal as well as consistency from the team before crowning them.

Steelers wrecked them early in the season before teams figured out their game plan and injury bug hit.

I’m not as down on the Steelers as others and feel the season comes down to what it always does, Ben.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who won the division?

• Like Like x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Who advanced further in the playoffs which matters much more than winning a division.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

I do agree that the Browns definitely have gotten much better; more so than they have in a very long time. However, to state that they are now the best in the Division is a bit shortsighted at present. I personally will wait until after the draft to state how I feel about all of this as there is oh so much more to find out about the AFC North before then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

..... Congrats?!

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Once again you don’t know how to comprehend the discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Regardless they won the sb. While i think a lot of factors went in their favor to win it at the end of the day they won it. Even if brees came back the bucs would be recognized as the best team in the division and best in the nfl because they won the sb, brought everyone back, and you could assume they'd be even better because they had a lot of new pieces with a short and discombobulated off-season due to covid. While I don't think they will repeat, I do think they deserved to be ranked as the best team in the nfc and division because they proved that when it mattered most in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    A division crown is good but what matters most is who went further in the playoffs. I cant call someone better who performed worse in the most important moment of the season.

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm just saying

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

So am I.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with this, but I want you 2 remember what you just said , next time we argue.
    Matter of fact I'm saving it.
    Because I see many ways I could have already used it. LOL.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Dont you know Regular Season Records and Division Titles are what really matter. TOMLIN mentality. I don’t blame people for not wanting to talk about playoffs. It’s ugly.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Oh I agree Blast. I’m not giving up on 2021 at all. It is all to play for.

That running attack will probably win them a lot of regular season games, Baker will always limit them against the better teams in the playoffs however.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    No but last year they finished ahead of the steelers in the playoffs and that's what matters. They don't give Rings for the division.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I can’t go along with that line of reasoning because that would mean they are a better team than the Chiefs. They were the better team that night but not the better team overall.

If you played a best of 7 between the two, I think the Chiefs win that outcome every time. I think the playoff format in football doesn’t always produce the best team but of course, you can’t use a playoff series format in football.

I think Tampa is the classic example of getting hot at the right time. They could very well be the best team in the NFC though, not sure who I’d put above them right now, maybe the Rams. Saints will suffer without Brees, 49ers still don’t have a QB. I wouldn’t put Dallas ahead of them. I think they probably deserve to be called the best team in that conference.

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Ok, boom, you kind of have me on the final say regarding the PO game but you have to admit that the Reindeer took it to them with backups in their house with a HC. That has to mean something: either how bad they wanted to get into the playoffs, or, how bad their HC is, or, how good our backups were, or maybe their starters really are not that good and we gave the PO game away through bumbling or game prep or something. In other words, I am not so sure they were the better team or we didn't have our minds right. Score wise, can't argue with you on this.

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's why I said nfc. I think the Rams are their biggest threat. Maybe Dallas. Greenway has a shot

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not trying to be argumentative but you did say best in the NFL too, that’s why I responded.

I agree, don’t have a problem with them being declared the top team in the NFC.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They don't give rings for winning...just one more game either.
    You and I know that was Clevelands SB.
    They were like....we beat the Steelers, we beat the Steelers in the playoffs. Were all good now.
    Steelers were like...damn we just got beat by Cleveland in the playoffs???? Oh they got 2 pay .