1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy an cordless Impact driver

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Lizard72, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Probably going to go with the Makita 18v.

Not sure whether to go with the US versions or the Japanese market ones I can get here.

Any advise on whether they hold up well?

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I have makita, Milwaukee, and dewalt. Personally I like the dewalt 18v brushless combo

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I just bought a Milwaukee impact within the year and like it. I haven't had too much exposure to the Makita drills.

What did you end up getting @Lizard72 ? I'm sure you know, but the impact rated driver bits are a good bet. I was working on a stubborn bolt and only had my non-impact bits at the time and one broke on me. Didn't have my hand tools with me at the time to try to loosen first but just for safety sakes, the impact rated ones are probably more safe.

I think with any brand, proper care of the batteries will really make the most impact. Especially with how high priced they are.

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I was expecting a combo deal for Fathers Day, but the wife didn't jump on one at the time. I was looking at the Milwaukee M18 Fuel line. I'm just a DIY'er though and not really doing much work though, so I've been reassessing what I "really" need.

Ryobi seems to have everything under the sun and they can all use the same batteries, so that's looking like a good value.

Or I could back down to the Milwaukee M12 fuel system. That impact wrench and driver look like they'd handle most of my needs on small cars and some house projects. and it's cheaper than the M18.

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes some are definitely more geared toward the homeowner vs commercial use end of things.

I have a couple tools on the Ryobi Plus system with the interchangeable batteries. It does come in handy when you need multiple things. I have a weed eater, circular saw, flashlight, reciprocating saw and drill. The batteries are cheaper too. They are my "home project" tools.

I just remember the drill kept stopping on a fully charged battery when I was using a 2in hole saw on double drywall to make a hole for a waste line. It just wasn't beefy enough to handle the resistance. I had to feather it through. But if you are just using it for the occasional drilling and driving screws I had no problems. I use the circ saw, recip saw and weed eater all the time with no problems and they were much friendlier on the wallet than most of the alternatives.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup that's what I want to avoid if possible. Nothing like getting outpowered when you need it. Really looking at just getting the M12 1/2" stubby wrench and driver combo. Watching a lot of videos and that thing being so compact looks like it'll do everything I need. When/If I need a bigger option, then I can grab the M18 version.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Now that I'm old I can no longer hit a driver but if I could I'd go with the new Cobra it really drills the ball.

Just goofing around.;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Got
    Got the Impact Driver and Hammer Drill M12 combo with 2 batteries and charger for Father's day (Belated). Bought the 3/8 Stubby Impact wrench for my auto work. Thing is small and fits everywhere I need it on my cars and Motorcycle

• Like Like x 2
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I bought the same set, loving it so far.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup, agre
    e the handle was putting me off, but it feels good in my hands. That Impact driver is plenty strong, picking up my 3/8 impact sockets and changing out brakes next week in the driveway, will see how the stubby performs.

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Update...My dumb ass didn't have any impact sockets at all and no sockets bigger than 18mm. Bought a set 7-19 needed a 23. Still waiting on my singles 20-24mm....

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Update again 2 brake jobs later and a couple tire rotations and that M12 Stubby Impact wrench is the boss! no issues at all with the lug nuts!

• Like Like x 2