1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking back that James catch cost us a SB..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by FootballAnalyst98, Jan 26, 2018.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I said it in that moment that if we don' win this game we won' win it all. I think it demoralized us because then pats, pats, pats become the sole focus because though we morally won we still in the end didn't win. Had we won that game I think the team approaches the playoffs with a different mindset

2. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I think many of use thought the same but only because it meant that we had lost home field advantage. In the end we did not take care of business in that game or the Jags game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Even if Steelers got 1st seed.... the defense was a huge liability and would cost them sooner or later. Steelers would have struggled to beat the Titans or Chiefs had they earned the 1st seed. No way the Steelers were going to the Super Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't think Ten or KC would've been a problem, but somewhere along the line the D would have cost them. Losing Shazier is what cost them the Super Bowl.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I had a similar post. Then I had a vision of Jacksonville beating NE, coming here for the AFCC game, and Jacksonville winning 45 to 42. I'm not sure where that came from.

My original version:

I commonly state that a game is decided by 5 plays or less.
    This season changed drastically on 1 play.

If JJ catches the ball cleanly, we defeat NE. Last week we would have played Tennessee who I believe we had a good chance of beating. This Sunday then, we would have been playing NE at home where we would have proven we could beat them. Then off to the SB.

One play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

The only way the Steelers won either playoff game or the super bowl was if the offense was absolutely perfect. Just too many issues on defense.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Now that the season is over ,I think we can all admit this team is still not there ,,no way they would have won it all this year ,not with this defense !

Just imagine if it was us instead of NE,,Philly is pretty dominant in the trenches ,we would have been getting gashed left,right and up the middle ..
    This is why I think they may actually have a chance ,plus i bet Blount is a little PO'ed

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If the Eagles don't turn the ball over... they win. Simple.

9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah this def was flawed big time

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont know, beating NE twice in a row was going to be a tall order.

Definitely think we would have faced them again though.

11. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Even if JJ's catch was a td I'm sure there would have been a defensive penalties all the way down the field till they scored and retook the lead. That's just how they roll.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we should have won the chicago game and we wouldn't have needed the NE game.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I was thinking similar thoughts at the moment JJ`s catch was ruled incomplete. At the time I was thinking we would probably get to the S.B. if we won, as in over 50% chance, but when we lost I was thinking maybe 40% chance of beating N.E. Little did I know at the time how poorly our defense was doing or how badly our defense matched up against the Jags. I doubt we would have got to or won the S.B. this year knowing what I know now had JJ made the catch.

14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    People say this but the refs just would have made sure we lost another game.

Now everyone gets why that call was such a big deal and I made so many threads and still talk about it to this day. I was right again.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Probably not. Knowing this team we would have probably lost to the Titans because we would already be polishing the Lombardi trophy case because we beat the Patsies, hence we win the Superbowl by default without need to show up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I think the point would be more valid if we beat Jags. The fact we came into that game unfocused, aloof, cocky (on an inappropriate level, including Tomlin) makes me not buy into this assertion so much. The report of Tomlin showing up to the stadium, so relaxed and happy makes me believe the head coach set a poor tone that was unrelated to the Pat's loss. The Jags were up 21-0 before this team even knew what happened. That was atrocious, especially when considering the Jags had already caved our faces in earlier this season. The only way we win another ring with MT will require tons of luck at this point.

17. standupsteelerguy

standupsteelerguy Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2017
    we had HFA in the first game and COULDNT GET PAST THE JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.....

let that sink in before you start saying the james call cost the team a SB win...the STEELERS cost THEMSELVES a victory and a chance to do more.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. standupsteelerguy

standupsteelerguy Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2017

thank you for confirming that there are some rational steeler fans on this board.

The jags game, man, the coaches and players just looked like their attitude was, OK, lets get this over with so we can go play the pats. that's the reality folks, nothing more, nothing less.

19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We just never know how things would had played out.

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't worry guys our buddy Rog said they're gonna look at the "James catch" this off season....right after ne catches us with 6....well maybe not right after....after the party at the Krafts though....

21. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The Jag loss was a combination of not being prepared and a defense with no depth. As usual, they took a team lightly and got their a** kicked. Our defense has been weak for several years. We need a stud nose tackle to stop those up the middle runs. What happened to being a LBer factory? Remember the days of the Steelers never allowing a RB to get 100 yards? Now they run it start down the middle and dare them to stop it.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It was called a TD on the field, the stupid refs should've let the call stand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    That's the more pressing matter for sure, Thig. NY cannot continue to overturn calls on the field without conclusive evidence.

• Agree Agree x 1